Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Best exploration fleet?  (Read 15604 times)

CoverdInBees

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Best exploration fleet?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2020, 05:26:21 AM »

Good advice here, i'd just like to add that i usually *don't* bother with things like sensor skills, or stabilizing cargo.

Sure, you might miss some derelict every now and then, or lose out on the cargo, but the sector is big enough even if you choose small sector seed, you'll probably stop way before you've explored all of it. Spending time to make sure you find everything and haul it back is hardly worth it in your own time or ingame time, imo.

(Except maybe if it's your first serious attempt at exploring. Taking the sensor skills might be more worthwhile when you're still learning what the usual locations for high value spawns are. Beyond that i'd only take it if you also plan to do a lot of smuggling, for instance.)

I personally never cared about sensor minmaxing myself until I installed difficulty enchancing mods and started playing on Starfarer, Iron mode. It's actually a shame that nobody even bothers caring about them since the game is admittedly way too forgiving of mistakes sometimes.

The margin of your sensor range and your signature is basically a lifeline that makes or breaks the game when one wrong step can and will set you back immensely.

P.S: These are my two go-to difficulty enchancing mods if you also want to try them out. Kudos to both creators:
1) Second Wave Options 6.0 ( https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=17086.0 ) by RustyCabbage
2) Ruthless Sector ( https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15279.0 ) by Sundog

Both don't have compatibility issues with the 25+ other mods I'm running with.

Oh yeah. I never tried ironman (nor starfarer mode) yet, with the excuse that i've seen people here advise against it due to save corruptions i've never yet had, and find myself reloading whenever i can tell myself it's justified. ("i wouldn't have gotten caught if i paid attention/hadn't held shift, let's reload.") It's not hard to imagine that skills get valued differently when running like that.

As for mods, i've tried a bunch (though not the 2 you mentioned) but except for one long-ish run with Vayra's packs i usually quickly find myself starting a new game running only some subtle mods. I may try them out on my next run but chances are i won't start another before the new patch comes out. (just started a new one a few days ago.)

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2020, 05:31:04 AM »

Good advice here, i'd just like to add that i usually *don't* bother with things like sensor skills, or stabilizing cargo.

Sure, you might miss some derelict every now and then, or lose out on the cargo, but the sector is big enough even if you choose small sector seed, you'll probably stop way before you've explored all of it. Spending time to make sure you find everything and haul it back is hardly worth it in your own time or ingame time, imo.

(Except maybe if it's your first serious attempt at exploring. Taking the sensor skills might be more worthwhile when you're still learning what the usual locations for high value spawns are. Beyond that i'd only take it if you also plan to do a lot of smuggling, for instance.)

I personally never cared about sensor minmaxing myself until I installed difficulty enchancing mods and started playing on Starfarer, Iron mode. It's actually a shame that nobody even bothers caring about them since the game is admittedly way too forgiving of mistakes sometimes.

The margin of your sensor range and your signature is basically a lifeline that makes or breaks the game when one wrong step can and will set you back immensely.

P.S: These are my two go-to difficulty enchancing mods if you also want to try them out. Kudos to both creators:
1) Second Wave Options 6.0 ( https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=17086.0 ) by RustyCabbage
2) Ruthless Sector ( https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15279.0 ) by Sundog

Both don't have compatibility issues with the 25+ other mods I'm running with.

Oh yeah. I never tried ironman (nor starfarer mode) yet, with the excuse that i've seen people here advise against it due to save corruptions i've never yet had, and find myself reloading whenever i can tell myself it's justified. ("i wouldn't have gotten caught if i paid attention/hadn't held shift, let's reload.") It's not hard to imagine that skills get valued differently when running like that.

As for mods, i've tried a bunch (though not the 2 you mentioned) but except for one long-ish run with Vayra's packs i usually quickly find myself starting a new game running only some subtle mods. I may try them out on my next run but chances are i won't start another before the new patch comes out. (just started a new one a few days ago.)

I've actually forgot to mention that Ruthless sector revises experience gain multipliers for both you and officers based on battle difficulty and applies a malus to experience gain if you reload games. It's a good in-between if you don't want to commit to Iron Mode but still recieve punishment for sporadic savescumming (not that I blame you of doing that ofc, but let'z admit everyone in this forum did sooner or later in their campaigns).

Edit: Oh forgot to mention both mods can be installed or removed from ongoing campaigns at will, just be on the careful side when installing them and make copies of your save/mod list.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 05:34:36 AM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

CoverdInBees

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2020, 10:08:17 AM »

Ah yeah. Don't think i'm going to make time to play tonight but i'll probably at least check oud their mod pages and see if i'll try (one of) them out this playthrough.
Pages: 1 [2]