Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Starsector has ruined Mount & Blade games for me  (Read 5346 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Starsector has ruined Mount & Blade games for me
« on: October 08, 2020, 05:16:41 AM »

I've officially spent more time modding Bannerlord with QoL features it should have had than I have actually playing the game, and all I can think of as I do it is, "man, Starsector was really polished for being a 1-man show". The first time I went to attack a band of looters that I outrun and wound up chasing them clear from one side of the continent to the other bc there's no movement mechanics whatsoever beyond "run at a set speed & catch up to them in [speed difference / distance]" (with the speed differences possible being really small) I could feel my bones grinding together. Starsector, a game that went to public beta 3 years after the first Mount & Blade game came out, is infinitely more feature-complete iteration of this niche genre and I mmmmay have to refund it with the comment section of the refund request just being the word "starsector". This isn't in the off-topic board bc I count this as a weird compliment to Alex & Co. Good job Alex, SS is a great game & still holds up to the quality of brand new releases of 100+ dev studios
(You can't see it but that's only 1/3rd of the mod tabs I've got open, btw)
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector has ruined Mount & Blade games for me
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 05:25:07 AM »

I've got to second this. It's not this game that should cost more than 15 euros (maybe in a few years I guess), it's every other single early access / open beta game that dares to charge more than what they offer.

A huge thank you to all the devs and modders that keep me playing this great space combat sim!
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 08:53:22 AM »

(Ah, I appreciate the sentiment! But I just want to say, I always feel weird seeing a technically-compliment to Starsector that's putting another game down.)

I love M&B, btw. Haven't played Bannerlord yet - haven't had the time to really dive into it - but, every game has its quirks, and its dev focus (and blind spots), and so on. And there are different ways of approaching the EA model, too. I'm looking forward to finally getting a chance to sit down with it, though - I've spent more time with Warband than you want to know.

shrek_luigi

• Ensign
  • im green as ****
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 11:29:47 AM »

people tell me that starsector is just mount and blade in space, but I tell them, that mount and blade is just starsector on the ground
@Shrek_luigi: While I applaud your choice of flagship, please don't circumvent the profanity filter.

SaberCherry

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 02:16:00 PM »

Bannerlord does have some amazing little bits of "unpolish".  It's the first game I ever played that does not let you remap keys before unbinding them first (IIRC, that was not a problem in the original).  And it has so many keys that you have to hunt and hunt to find what it was bound to before you can unbind it...  took a long, painful time to set up before I could start playing.

Starsector is impressive to me on the level that Dwarf Fortress, Dominions, Terraria, and Stardew Valley are impressive.  They all make me think - wow, 1/2 person(s) can accomplish this?  Then what am I doing with my life?  Unlike the other ones, though, Starsector actually has fantastic graphics.

That said, Mount and Blade is kind of special in that it is the only game I have ever played that did horseback riding OR archery well, regardless of the lack of polish in other areas.  Oh, and that's not even mentioning its face generation.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 02:37:51 PM »

That said, Mount and Blade is kind of special in that it is the only game I have ever played that did horseback riding OR archery well, regardless of the lack of polish in other areas.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. But I agree that was a particularly good thing that M&B does very well. The satisfaction of swinging a massive two-handed sword to the side of your horse as you charge into the battle line cutting down enemies left and right only to emerge behind the enemy advance and crashing into his now undefended archers was a masterpiece of visceral fun. That small detail also gets a 10/10 from me.

As another solo "dev" trying to tackle a big project, I honestly don't know how Alex has time to play practically anything. I mean, I know I'm an amateur and all, but his output of internal code, API, and well designed systems makes me feel like a 2 year old stacking blocks - not that I mind haha.

SaberCherry

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 03:48:51 PM »

That said, Mount and Blade is kind of special in that it is the only game I have ever played that did horseback riding OR archery well, regardless of the lack of polish in other areas.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. But I agree that was a particularly good thing that M&B does very well. The satisfaction of swinging a massive two-handed sword to the side of your horse as you charge into the battle line cutting down enemies left and right only to emerge behind the enemy advance and crashing into his now undefended archers was a masterpiece of visceral fun. That small detail also gets a 10/10 from me.

As another solo "dev" trying to tackle a big project, I honestly don't know how Alex has time to play practically anything. I mean, I know I'm an amateur and all, but his output of internal code, API, and well designed systems makes me feel like a 2 year old stacking blocks - not that I mind haha.
Come on - he has not released a release for 500 days.  Of course he plays games.  How else can you keep up with market research?  If you make it big and can never play games because you are too dedicated to what made you big, will you be happy and grow?  No!

There is nothing wrong with playing games; that's what we all aspire toward.  And its crucial when designing games.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 04:03:28 PM »

If you don't take breaks, you burn completely out. It sounds cool to think about working 100-hour weeks on your game, but that's the route to hypertension and possible suicide, not a sustainable working schedule.

I don't begrudge our Benevolent Overlord breaks; they keep him sane(ish), and more productive over the long run. Leave the deathmarching to EA; and when was the last time you enjoyed one of their games without reservations?

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 04:39:46 PM »

Oh for the love of.... if the perceived implication of my post was that Alex doesn't or shouldn't take breaks, that was not my intention! It's good that he does for all the reasons stated. I was complimenting his ability to manage his time regardless and create really good things...

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 04:42:09 PM »

Starsector is what happens when someone WANTS to make an awesome game, rather than being pressured into cranking out money.

SaberCherry

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 04:54:05 PM »

Oh for the love of.... if the perceived implication of my post was that Alex doesn't or shouldn't take breaks, that was not my intention! It's good that he does for all the reasons stated. I was complimenting his ability to manage his time regardless and create really good things...
Relax, you were not the target of anyone's anathema.  This is just a gentle discourse on M&B-type-games.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 05:21:10 PM »

Relax, you were not the target of anyone's anathema.  This is just a gentle discourse on M&B-type-games.

Ok sorry yeah probably just being overly defensive. Carry on!

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2020, 08:16:10 AM »

Starsector is impressive to me on the level that Dwarf Fortress, Dominions, Terraria, and Stardew Valley are impressive.  They all make me think - wow, 1/2 person(s) can accomplish this?  Then what am I doing with my life?  Unlike the other ones, though, Starsector actually has fantastic graphics.
I wouldn't say Starsector has fantastic graphics, unless you mean in comparison to those titles (I also have a bias against retro pixel style). GraphicsLib does make it look mighty nice, though, props to DR.

Chaotic-Entropy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2020, 08:42:00 AM »

All the Mount and Blade games have always been a very rough and somewhat irritating collection of good ideas executed quite poorly. It used to be charming, but with Bannerlord they just don't have as many or as good reasons why things are so rough and shabby.

As ever, community creators will save them from themselves and that seems like the business model they want to follow.

basileus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2020, 10:39:35 AM »

All the Mount and Blade games have always been a very rough and somewhat irritating collection of good ideas executed quite poorly. It used to be charming, but with Bannerlord they just don't have as many or as good reasons why things are so rough and shabby.

As ever, community creators will save them from themselves and that seems like the business model they want to follow.

Yeah, well.  That's still more understandable than all these triple-A titles with 9 figure budgets that spend 90% of it on art direction and marketing, and do their QA in production.
Pages: [1] 2 3