Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Streamline the salvaging/scavenging mechanic by front-loading it  (Read 1918 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Streamline the salvaging/scavenging mechanic by front-loading it
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 09:13:29 AM »

BTW, another nice streamline feature were if "take all" would work like this:

Click once -> take as much as fits into the cargo space/tank, leaving behind the least valuable commodities (ores, metals, etc) and excess fuel.
Click twice -> really take everything.

The button could first say "fill hold" and then "take all", to avoid confusion.

Or alternatively, shift+"take all" would just fill up your cargo hold, equivalent to filling up your hold with a single commodity with shift+click. I think that's more obscure, though.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 09:47:34 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2020, 11:14:48 AM »

Idle question: Will the new scavenge-once generate the same amount of loot as we currently would by scavenging the field multiple times, or only as much as the current first scavenge?
(i.e. are we sucking up more of the field at once, or is it the same as current except we're blocked from scavenging multiple times?)

I *think* it's higher than you'd get for one scavenge-through and somewhere in the neighborhood of what you'd get for repeated ones but I don't actually remember for sure. Either way is fine, I think, though.

Also, a thought: It would be a nice bit of QoL if aborting the scavenge (or having it blocked due to nearby enemies) reset the ability cooldown, so you don't have to wait to try again.

I actually kind of like not having that be *so* streamlined and it taking a bit of in-game time. Though perhaps Scavenge should instead take a few second to activate and not have a cooldown; not entirely decided on that.

It would be nice if the player could tell the difference between a looted and pristine debris fields (on the map, at least).  I like having them stick around, but it's less fun to waste time traveling to one you already explored.  Presumably, one of your staff keeps track of that sort of thing.

It's in the map tooltip, yeah.

BTW, another nice streamline feature were if "take all" would work like this:

Click once -> take as much as fits into the cargo space/tank, leaving behind the least valuable commodities (ores, metals, etc) and excess fuel.
Click twice -> really take everything.

The button could first say "fill hold" and then "take all", to avoid confusion.

Or alternatively, shift+"take all" would just fill up your cargo hold, equivalent to filling up your hold with a single commodity with shift+click. I think that's more obscure, though.

Hmm, yeah, I like this. Not sure when/if I'll actually get to it, but I do think this is a good idea.

basileus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2020, 11:37:41 AM »

Also, a thought: It would be a nice bit of QoL if aborting the scavenge (or having it blocked due to nearby enemies) reset the ability cooldown, so you don't have to wait to try again.

I actually kind of like not having that be *so* streamlined and it taking a bit of in-game time. Though perhaps Scavenge should instead take a few second to activate and not have a cooldown; not entirely decided on that.

Personally, I think it would be better if the activation time was variable based upon the amount of salvageable available.  An early abort/interruption would give you a partial loot.

90% of the time when I get the dialogue that I cannot loot because I'm being tracked, it's either because a lone REDACTED frigate is maintaining contact or because a couple of ships from a fleet that I just smashed escaped.  If the ability takes time to trigger, it means that actual threats have an opportunity to move in and engage the player fleet, if in fact they have the power to do so.  No need for an immersion shattering dialogue.
Pages: 1 [2]