Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Did i miss something or was the last update over 500 days ago?  (Read 2610 times)

Teikai

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Did i miss something or was the last update over 500 days ago?
« on: October 04, 2020, 03:04:17 PM »

?

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Did i miss something or was the last update over 500 days ago?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 03:13:05 PM »

Nope, you seem to be up to speed!  ;D

If you've ever wondered why this game has such a prolific modding community, it's because we have all got a lotta time to kill!
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 07:22:55 AM »

You are correct. Welcome to Fractal Softworks.
You can check out https://twitter.com/amosolov for previews of the next update, just so you know the game isn't dead.

Jake_Shynxu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 09:21:59 PM »

I'm actually glad the game takes a while between content updates. I much prefer more substantial updates that have been thoroughly tested than a trickle-feed of stuff like Warframe, that gets put out without thinking too much about how it might affect the game or community.
Additionally, that means all my favorite mods stay up-to-date and functioning for longer. When the next patch comes, it's gonna be hard to play without Nexerelin or the dozen faction mods I've grown used to.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 09:26:57 PM »

Without intending it, you've discerned the reason why most games in early access are buggy and not that much fun while each release of this game is comparatively bug free and entertaining.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 01:59:33 AM »

Alex is right to take as much time as he needs before releasing an update.
However, he could stand to release more patchnotes so we could proceed with the theorycrafting :P
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 12:39:43 PM »

This long dev cycle has proven out again and again as a winning strategy, so it's hard to guess what, realistically, could be changed that wouldn't have a detrimental effect on the next release's quality. Adding more people to the team at this late date isn't going to meaningfully speed things up, and there's no reason to think more testing would help (after all; *we* are the final alpha testers each release).

It's frustrating, but look on the bright side; mod breakage is likely to be resolved pretty quickly. We have a better idea of the sorts of things coming down the pipe now, and on the whole, more experience. I'm itching to get started on story missions.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 01:06:35 PM »

I'm perfectly fine with Alex taking as much time as he needs to on the next update, because I know it's going to be magnificent. What bothers me a bit (''bothers'' may be a wrong word here but hopefully you get what I'm saying) is a lack of patch notes in the last year and a half. SO MUCH has changed and been added. Non stop I see suggestions and discussions about things that were already changed or added in the in-dev version. Not everyone reads every word of the blog posts and spy Alex's twitter to know all the QoL changes. I know this isn't a big deal but so many times it happened while I was playing, that I went to make a suggestion here, only to go mid writing ''Wait, isn't this already fixed/changed? Or is it? Was I imagining it maybe?''.

I get that patch notes usually come a bit before the actual release, and that they are subject to change, but it would still be nice to have a list of QoL changes and bug fixes that were done so people don't report the same thing 10 times.
Please don't take me too seriously.

ReverendSin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 02:18:53 PM »

You are correct. Welcome to Fractal Softworks.
You can check out https://twitter.com/amosolov for previews of the next update, just so you know the game isn't dead.

It's Interesting to me that we are getting previews for the next update on twitter, I wonder if there would be a way to let all the people who have had the game for 8+ years know that this was a thing, I would almost bet that there is some kind of posting thing integrated with maybe a website that everyone who has the game would be familiar with to inform people of what is going on, anyone know what one of those would be called? I'm really confused.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 06:07:14 PM »

The major changes are posted here.  Little tidbits and QoL updates that aren't worth an entire article are not.  (At least, not until enough are done to be worth an article.)

Not gonna lie, I'd be a bit disappointed if I saw a new dev blog but it was just about you being able to drag-and-drop officers.  (Not that this upcoming feature isn't appreciated!)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 07:08:47 PM »

Honestly I'd be pretty happy with a blog that was just a list of small/interesting stuff that was of the type posted on twitter. It doesn't need to be a cohesive post, just stuff to generate a bit of discussion and interest.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 05:14:17 AM »

Nope, you seem to be up to speed!  ;D

If you've ever wondered why this game has such a prolific modding community, it's because we have all got a lotta time to kill!

god could you imagine how mad the modders would be if Alex released tiny updates with barely any content every other week that broke every mod every time?
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 05:18:30 AM »

Hah, I did not actually think of that one. You got a few nervous laughs out of me  ;D

Seriously Alex, don't dew it

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 06:38:58 AM »

It's Interesting to me that we are getting previews for the next update on twitter, I wonder if there would be a way to let all the people who have had the game for 8+ years know that this was a thing, I would almost bet that there is some kind of posting thing integrated with maybe a website that everyone who has the game would be familiar with to inform people of what is going on, anyone know what one of those would be called? I'm really confused.
Including a latest post from Alex's Twitter, either on the forum or the website proper (though I'd prefer it to be on the forum) would be great.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2020, 07:07:40 AM »

Anyway, should we make a thread to beg Alex for patch notes?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex
Pages: [1] 2