Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Start saved games paused  (Read 707 times)

SaberCherry

• Commander
    • View Profile
Start saved games paused
« on: September 30, 2020, 06:14:03 PM »

I would prefer when I start a saved game for it to start in the paused state.  Waiting for a load indicator then reacting the instant it finishes is challenging, yet not really fun.  When I restart from a saved game I kind of assume the saved situation will be replicated, which it isn't (I only save while paused).  You can't save at a planet, where you are perfectly safe, only in space; so you have to leave, let some frames go by, then save.  When you reload, you let more frames go by, then get your bearings, and finally react.  So, any time you save the game you lose a bunch of frames on both ends.  Saving while at a planet would be a huge boon, but it would require some additional UI work which is a pain.  However, resuming saves in the paused state would be easy and really useful.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 06:57:45 PM by SaberCherry »

Apfelkuchenbemme

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Start saved games paused
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 01:10:10 AM »

When I restart from a saved game I kind of assume the saved situation will be replicated, which it isn't (I only save while paused).

I was extremely confused at first because I could have sworn my loaded saves always start paused, but what do you know:
  • If you pause and then load a save, the save starts paused
  • If you unpause and then load a save, the save starts unpaused

But yeah, we already have "pause after battle" and "pause when opening map", so I don't think "pause after loading", "pause after saving" or "pause after exiting a planet" should be a problem.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 12:37:29 PM »

Went to check this and, what do you know - looks like I'd made it pause after load at some point before now. So: it'll be in the next release!

SaberCherry

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 09:46:10 AM »

Went to check this and, what do you know - looks like I'd made it pause after load at some point before now. So: it'll be in the next release!
Great!  Also, nice observation, Apfelkuchenbemme.