Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Resume Sustained Burn After Sensor Burst  (Read 1352 times)

SaberCherry

• Commander
    • View Profile
Resume Sustained Burn After Sensor Burst
« on: September 26, 2020, 02:07:56 PM »

This could be configurable, at least in the json files, but having to hit sustained burn again, at just the right time, after using a sensor burst is incredibly irritating and makes me minimize my sensor burst usage simply because it's tedious.  When I am in sustained burn, I always want to resume ASAP after using a sensor burst.

Along similar lines, I've probably hit "Emergency Burn" by accident as often as I've used it on purpose, partly due to its positioning right between the two most commonly-used toggles, and partly because it looks a lot like sustained burn.  Since it has massive drawbacks, some kind of confirmation would be nice (I've since moved it to slot 0 once I discovered this was configurable).  Also, a prompt for enabling transponder upon leaving a planet would be great.  The "Enable Transponder?" prompt upon entering a system is extremely helpful; on the other hand, every single time I've been intercepted by patrols was because I turned off my transponder to due a black-market deal on a planet with no patrols nearby, and then simply forgot to turn it back on after I left.  The patrols don't buy that excuse.  It led to me getting into a war with the Diktat last game...

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Resume Sustained Burn After Sensor Burst
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 06:54:40 AM »

Traverse jump could do the same, ask for transponder on entering a system and re-enable sustained burn.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 09:10:01 AM »

Sustain Burn should really just stay toggled on until toggled off. Suppressed by things that disable it, but the moment those instances are over, go back to sustain burn.

rokenx2

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 03:56:38 AM »

Please do this... oh my gods its the most annoying thing to have to constantly turn sustained burn back on over and over qq lol .... massive QoL update <3

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 01:28:46 PM »

Personally, I'd be in favor of removing sustained burn entirely and just doubling base speed.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 02:27:42 PM »

That gets rid of some very big gameplay functions, from the different acceleration profiles and sensor profiles of regular vs sustained burn, to the interdiction mechanics, etc.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 02:27:59 PM »

I experimented with doubling base speed and it is too fast. An increase of about 80% feels about the same without becoming hard to control.

I think Sustained Burn should not be removed. Reducing control to gain speed is an interesting trade-off. I have thought that maybe Sustained Burn and Go Dark could be moved to a dedicated throttle GUI - they have become pretty essential parts of the game. Something like Burn One, Go Dark, Standard, and Sustained Burn would make sense for throttle settings.

The transponder is another good candidate for a dedicated GUI.

Most canceling abilities either stop the player's fleet (Sensor Burst) or already go faster than Sustained Burn anyways (Emergency Burn), so it would make sense for them to not interrupt Sustained Burn's on/off status - whether it were part of a throttle-thing or as-is.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 02:30:55 PM »

That gets rid of some very big gameplay functions, from the different acceleration profiles and sensor profiles of regular vs sustained burn, to the interdiction mechanics, etc.
Having played both before and after SB was added, I don't think those are either 'big' or even desired gameplay functions. Interdiction was added explicitly to deal with SB, after all; without SB, it's simply not needed. And SB was only added because getting places felt too slow when running around at speeds designed to feel right back when we only had Corvus system to run around in.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 02:46:13 PM »

+1 Sustained Burn as a toggle

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 03:39:29 PM »

Interdiction was added explicitly to deal with SB, after all; without SB, it's simply not needed.

Interdiction stops most abilities, IIRC, but it has too many problems — wind-up, friendly fire — to be worth using. Not that there's anything really worth using it on. It might be useful if it only hit one fleet like MesoTroniK suggested long ago: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12826.0

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 05:09:39 PM »

Interdiction is one of two grief buttons pressed by NPCs (the other being "gank burn").  Mostly impractical for the player, but the enemy (and non-hostiles) use it liberally to spite the player (even if another NPC fleet is the intended target).

The only time Interdiction is not a problem is when one of my patrols use it because my fleet is immune to those pulses.  Alas, that only applies in my systems where I have home field advantage.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 05:13:15 PM by Megas »

SaberCherry

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 06:26:18 PM »

According to starsector.fandom.com:

"Interdiction Pulse is considered a minor hostile act and can trigger unwanted reputation drops for any nearby fleets so some care is needed for extensive use near friendly fleets, although fleets in the same faction are unaffected. "

I have never noticed any reputation changes (of course, I don't use it against my allies) or reluctance on the part of the AI to employ it liberally.  Is this still true?  I would certainly prefer to have sustained burn re-engaged after being interdicted, but really, I'd just prefer to not be interdicted in the first place, and as far as I can tell, the AI does not care about interdicting you at all, even when you are an ally.  Interdiction generally seems to be only useful to the AI anyway because you can't catch someone you interdict since you only have 1 fleet, while the AI can, since it operates multiple fleets.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 06:43:57 PM »

When you pulse, you lose -1 rep per fleet hit.  Your patrol fleets are immune to your pulses, and vice versa.

NPCs do not lose rep when they pulse.  Pulses from friendly NPC factions can hit your fleet and slow it down.

If you get hit by a pulse, you cannot burn away for several seconds.  Shutting down the burns is the point of the pulse.

Interdiction generally seems to be only useful to the AI anyway because you can't catch someone you interdict since you only have 1 fleet, while the AI can, since it operates multiple fleets.
It is hard to catch a fleet yourself.  After you pulse, you need to E-burn to catch the target.  (If you try S-burn, your fleet delays too long, they recover in time, and you are back to square one.)  That is a high cost just to catch a fleet.  Meanwhile, NPCs have unlimited resources and ignore the costs.  They lose nothing trying to lock your fleet down with excessive pulsing.