Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dogfighting, races  (Read 614 times)

duendeinexistente

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Dogfighting, races
« on: September 26, 2020, 06:43:28 PM »

Something I've thought about a couple times to give smaller ships more reason to exist (And be commanded) into lategame would be for worlds to have sporting events you can participate in, races and dogfights-- then you could have a nice fighter/fighter wing you keep for these things. Hell, one could even base a playthrough in getting into these for cash.
They could make your reputation with the world's faction more extreme; if they dislike you winning in their worlds will make them dislike you even more, while losing gives people catharsis. In the other hand, winning when people already likes you would rile them up even more. Hell, lose your way into a rags-to-riches scenario to eventually regain reputation with them.
I'm sure other events could be made with the game's existing assets (Spaceship sports, is there stuff that elaborates on that? Nothing comes to mind besides the two I already mentioned) could be thought of, but my focus is on giving more game to the smaller ships.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 06:47:57 PM by duendeinexistente »

Apfelkuchenbemme

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Dogfighting, races
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 02:24:14 AM »

You could probably create something like checkpoints you have to fly through. Maybe even some smaller buoys left and right of the "track", so going "off track" would earn you a penalty and you could create some sharp corners so the race wouldn't simply be "Hold down w" and the ship with the highest top speed would win by default.

I honestly haven't read up on the lore and story behind the sector, but maybe some racing-class ships would make sense, too? You know, expensive, smaller ships that are fast af, used by the sectors elite for leisure runs between systems but don't have any combat abilities to speak of, purely relying on their speed to avoid enemies.

Kinda like the ... was it a "Pegasus"? from X2: Terran Conflict, that could go a kilometer per second but got destroyed by a single hit from a destroyer.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Dogfighting, races
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 06:32:38 AM »

Not quite all of what you're looking for, but Disassemble Reassemble has some racing options.