Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Autopulse Laser flux generation mechanic.  (Read 1015 times)

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Autopulse Laser flux generation mechanic.
« on: September 20, 2020, 02:09:47 PM »

First to be said: I like Autopulse Laser as it is now. Perhaps, changing the description would be wiser than changing a flux mechanic.

However, current description says:

Numerous built-in capacitors are at the core of this extremely efficient, yet potent energy weapon.

Which probably means it should have (and rely on) it's own caps. So, firing causes it fill it's own caps, not the ship caps, while reloading process obviously conjugated with transferring flux from built-in caps to hull's caps (to be vented after). That even give sense to it's reloading nature.

That also means, it shouldn't generate any flux from firing, but do it while recharging instead. On the one hand, this would make it even better alpha-strike weapon, on the other hand this may causes problems, as player can not turn off reloading process (and flux generation) in critical situation or/and close to overflux. So, not sure would it be buff or nerf, especially in AI hands.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Autopulse Laser flux generation mechanic.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 02:26:49 PM »

It has electric capacitors, not flux capacitors. Discharging them produces flux.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 04:10:23 PM »

Huh. I'd never thought of that description that way before. So as a mechanic this would essentially be:

1) Fire a number of charges
2) Constant build up of flux while the charges reload

Being able to delay the flux cost of a burst weapon would be a very powerful ability, but I suppose it could be balanced by downsides being built into the flux buildup. It could be hard flux, or it could be unavoidable and cause an overload if it pushes the ship to max capacity.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 09:34:21 PM »

It has electric capacitors, not flux capacitors. Discharging them produces flux.

Does your smartphone produce any flux, when battery discharged? Or fridge forced to vent itself twice a day? ;D Electricity does not produce any flux, so even it is electrical (or other non-flux kind of energy) caps, flux will not be generated on discharging. IIRC flux produced with not invented yet generator type with virtually unlimited power outcome (read it somewhere here, please don't ask for link, also not sure if it was canonical), so flux would be generated during recharging an electrical battery with speed determined by battery's max recharge rate, which bring as the same delayed flux mechanic, as mentioned in original suggestion.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 03:08:26 AM »

I think it's pretty simple. All capacitors store charge. That doesn't mean there are flux capacitors in there, or that the description somehow informs weapon behavior. Descriptions are fluff. The truth is in the stats, and they are pretty much complete as far as weapon behaviour goes. I never read a description and expected it to somehow introduce new mechanics that are not represented by the stats.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 03:54:25 AM »

I think it's because the lasers don't use bullets or clips or magazines, so capacitors are the stand in for why the autopulse runs out of 'ammo' for some reason.

I suppose the wording might be off as it does clash with the extremely important flux mechanic.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 04:09:11 AM »

As stated in the very first line, I don't mind just changing the description.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 04:46:57 AM »

Capacitors is a very well understood term for an energy weapons "magazine". I don't think this warrants changing, especially since nobody's ever been confused by it before as far as we know.