Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can players choose to endlessly play low tier early game?  (Read 4421 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Can players choose to endlessly play low tier early game?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 08:00:41 AM »

Factions send expeditions based on market share (for PL, TT and SD) or if free port is on (LC and Heg), regardless of relations. Similarly, Hegemony sends AI expeditions for using AI cores, friend or foe.

Apfelkuchenbemme

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 10:28:37 AM »

Factions send expeditions based on market share (for PL, TT and SD) or if free port is on (LC and Heg), regardless of relations. Similarly, Hegemony sends AI expeditions for using AI cores, friend or foe.

Never had the Luddic Church send an expedition even though I have all 14 / 15 colonies on free port for the growth bonus. Can't speak for the Luddic Path since they "saw the light" as I bombed them out of the sector, but the LC is sitting at a relation of 100 since pretty much forever, twiddling their thumbs.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 11:39:49 AM »

Will they attack even with friendly relations?
If you have commission with a major faction, it will not send expeditions at you.  If you have no commission, they send expeditions regardless of relations.  You still have at least two other factions sending expeditions, so it makes no difference.  It is silly that factions friendly with you send bigger war fleets against your colonies than they do against their mortal enemies.

Free Port will make expeditions more frequent, in addition to Church and Hegemony joining in on the expeditions.

I have read that being friendly with pirates will stop their raids, but not pirate activity.

Pathers simply plant cells on your overdeveloped colonies, and these cells bypass all of your planetary defenses and wreck industries... if they did not have a bug that blocked all attempts if stability is 2 or more.

Akogishi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2020, 12:06:44 PM »

So...
  • build larger fleet
  • find suitable planet
  • colonize
  • be prepared to wipeout everyone
Does anyone know if there are plans to add more depth to faction relations/mechanics?

Nex mod kinda adds depth to faction relations, correct? I'm not sure I am ready to jump into that hole just yet.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2020, 12:38:42 PM »

The gap colonization and faction raids is quite significant: multiple in game years most of the time. Expect pirates to raid very soon after you've set up the colony though, so do have some cruisers ready, but main faction attacks take a long time to come. You need to have developed industries and be at size 5/6: even then, the typical attacks are pretty weak. If you want to, it is entirely viable to have a colony with just farming and pirate defenses to act as a home base/resupply point/income source and never deal with expeditions at all. Making your own ships however requires heavy industry, which will eventually attract expeditions.

Nex adds some depth in the form of agents that can adjust faction relations and do a few other neat things. It also adds random events that change relationships in extreme ways, up to and including major sections of the sector declaring war on you: this can be mitigated with agents, but requires babysitting and cash injections. If you want to play the conquest/faction relationship game with big mega fleets flying around, then Nex is fantastic. If you don't (which given this thread is about low tier early play forever I kind of think you don't) I highly recommend not using it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 02:35:40 PM by Thaago »

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2020, 02:12:13 PM »

Low tier meaning Junk ships like Venture? No.

Low tier meaning low tech ships like Onslaught? Yes.

Not knowing about the super secret Venture meta  :P

Shhhh! You'll get the super secret Venture meta nerfed  :-X

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2020, 04:58:26 PM »

With friendly relations, you can sacrfice 25 rep to prevent an expedition.
You can also bribe them regardless of rep.

Akogishi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2020, 12:18:40 PM »

Another update...

Currently playing with Nex mod and two vanilla friendly faction mods. I have a commission with one of them. On and off conflict between our alliance and others etc. I can clear out pirate bases and LP bases for bounty. My commission faction built a colony in some system. I followed and there was a arid habitable planet with some basic resource. I started a colony on said planet. Picked low tech orbital station and mining industry. Will I owe money to the faction that I am commissioned with? Should I still get patrol HQ? I don't want to take the things away from my ally... Also, my commission faction is in an alliance with LC. Will LC attack my colony(s)?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 12:22:13 PM by Akogishi »

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2020, 04:22:22 PM »

Another update...

Currently playing with Nex mod and two vanilla friendly faction mods. I have a commission with one of them. On and off conflict between our alliance and others etc. I can clear out pirate bases and LP bases for bounty. My commission faction built a colony in some system. I followed and there was a arid habitable planet with some basic resource. I started a colony on said planet. Picked low tech orbital station and mining industry. Will I owe money to the faction that I am commissioned with? Should I still get patrol HQ? I don't want to take the things away from my ally... Also, my commission faction is in an alliance with LC. Will LC attack my colony(s)?
Your commissioner will never ask you anything if you settle in a system belonging to them, it's actually a good thing as your patrols will help each other against attacks (just like having two colonies yourself).

Edit for the comment below: If you colonise a world before an AI expedition, you will lose some standing with the faction the moment the fleet attempting to settle arrives to the planet in question.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 05:06:44 PM by Scorpixel »

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2020, 04:30:37 PM »

If you put a colony in the same system as a faction that is friendly with you (but not commissioned to or part of your alliance) they will demand taxes and restrict your colony to be size 4 or 5 (and of course will try to sat bomb you if you refuse, because of course warcrimes only count if it is you committing them), factions that are hostile to you will sat bomb your colony without asking. Factions that you are commissioned to or allied to you will not mind your colonies.

Additionally, colonizing a planet before a faction's colony fleet arrives doesn't have any penalties... I think at least...
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

Akogishi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2020, 05:12:48 PM »

How do they restrict your size?

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2020, 07:51:34 PM »

How do they restrict your size?
You will get a notification and once you click on it you will have a choice screen (Similar to the Hegemony's AI inspection) there you can choose to either comply with their demands (and your colony won't grow past a certain size, along with a portion of your income being offered to the other faction as taxes) or you can refuse, lose a little bit of rep and soon afterwards get a bombardment fleet sent to your colony.
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."
Pages: 1 [2]