Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Looking for a good smuggling guide  (Read 1921 times)

Totally NotSpacePabloEsca

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Looking for a good smuggling guide
« on: September 16, 2020, 09:37:58 AM »

Hello all. Just got into the game and trying to be the best space smuggler I can be.

So far my strategy had been to have nothing less than ten burn in the fleet, staying with sustained burn at all times, and plotting courses before leaving the trade screen. 1980's Miami cigar boat style.

This works pretty good most of the time but I feel there has to be more to being a successful smuggler.

Anybody got any tips or a link to a good guide???

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a good smuggling guide
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 09:55:02 AM »

Best advice: try not to satbomb anything. It's bad for the business.

On the other hand, satbombing is more fun, than smuggling!  ::)
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 10:01:19 AM »

If you disrupt spaceports on small pirate worlds (with a raid/marines), the sell prices will go up massively. Like 3-4x base price. War profiteering is fun!

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 10:07:20 AM »

Satbombing???? Noooo. Noway. Never. Honest  ::) Well ok maybe the Hegemony because they steal AI Cores... but not till I have an actual faction.

If you disrupt spaceports on small pirate worlds (with a raid/marines), the sell prices will go up massively. Like 3-4x base price. War profiteering is fun!

I had limited success with that in my vanilla run but have been unable to replicate it with Nexerelin installed.

DubTre6

• Commander
  • Tri-Tachyon Agricultural Rep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 10:36:46 AM »

Satbombing???? Noooo. Noway. Never. Honest  ::) Well ok maybe the Hegemony because they steal AI Cores... but not till I have an actual faction.

I had limited success with that in my vanilla run but have been unable to replicate it with Nexerelin installed.

If you have trouble with disrupting the spaceport, you could just smash any trade convoys going into said pirate-worlds.
8) why fight the paragon when you can BE the paragon 8)

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 12:11:10 PM »

It's not trouble raiding the port, it's that the prices don't spike. Even went so far as to raid 4 pirate ports and prices didn't spike once. I raided everything but the spaceport. Are you supposed to raid the spaceport?

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 02:21:30 PM »

Yes, raid the spaceport. That the one that matters haha.

Edit: I would even say that you shouldn't raid other industries besides disruption the spaceport to try and keep stability higher.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 02:41:39 PM by intrinsic_parity »

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 09:35:45 AM »

So funny story. I raided 2 different pirate spaceports in the core, near each other. The only thing price spiked on was marines at one of the ports. Made 1.5 mil selling them marines to defend against me :) ahh good times...

I was really more looking for information like tricks to smuggling things without taking relations hits and such.

DubTre6

• Commander
  • Tri-Tachyon Agricultural Rep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 01:25:08 PM »

So funny story. I raided 2 different pirate spaceports in the core, near each other. The only thing price spiked on was marines at one of the ports. Made 1.5 mil selling them marines to defend against me :) ahh good times...

I was really more looking for information like tricks to smuggling things without taking relations hits and such.

The only tip I have is use terrain like Asteroid Belts to your advantage, they make your fleet way harder to detect on rader.
8) why fight the paragon when you can BE the paragon 8)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 01:34:52 PM »

The only tip I have is use terrain like Asteroid Belts to your advantage, they make your fleet way harder to detect on rader.

To add to this good tip, because of the lowered sensor profile they make for good places to turn transponders on and off without catching the attention of patrols.

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 05:05:45 PM »

I've been blazing into port with the transponder on at 2 light-years. So I should try to go in dark on major faction ports to avoid black market relations hits? Should I go out of sensor range to turn the transponder on for legal trading? Or is it easier to do one or the other in any given port?