Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] The Star Federation (Based on FTL) v0.7.1: Further Iteration (11/22/20)  (Read 8731 times)

Sleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile

The Star Federation
Based upon FTL: Faster Than Light     |     By Sleepyfish

Welcome to an apprehensive forum post for this 3-years-in-development FTL mod!
This mod is a work-in-progress, but it should run fine in vanilla Starsector 0.9.1a campaigns.
Now Nexerelin Compatible!

Show Ships
[close]
The Star Federation is a lawful cruiser-and-destroyer-heavy faction based out of Octavia VIII, a star system directly north of the Core Systems.

+ Wide shield arcs
+ Powerful built-in drones on flight decks
+ Capitals have secondary shields

- Shield arc shrinks as hard-flux increases
- Generally fewer mounts
- Carriers lack many modular fighter LPC slots
- Ships explode (rather awesomely) soon after they're disabled

REQUIRED: The Star Federation needs Lazywizard's LazyLib mod. Click HERE to download LazyLib
REQUIRED: The Star Federation needs Dark.Revenant's GraphicsLib mod. Click HERE to download GraphicsLib
REQUIRED: The Star Federation needs Tartiflette's MagicLib mod. Click HERE to download MagicLib
Click the image to download! 0.7.1 as of 11/22/2020

Please do let me know any thoughts on balance issues!

Thanks to:
Starsector Unofficial Discord.............. for their patience
MesoTronik...................for missions, sounds and advice
Histidine........................................... for mission code
Avanita............................... for playtesting and advice
Dark.Revenant.................... for providing complex code
Tartiflette............................ for code and backgrounds
Ben Prunty........... for allowing faction interaction music
And probably many more!

Changelog:
Spoiler
_____UPDATE 0.7.0________________________________________________________________________
Nearly everything was changed and tuned, sorry for not keeping track.
You can expect:
-Union-Class battlecruiser reworked entirely
-Brava reworked, extra mounts and ship system changed to Accel. Ammo Feeder
-Centa reworked, 3 small missiles and FMR. 2 modular bays now
-Brane shield and stat changes, recieved 3 new point-defense builtins 
-Byte shield and stat changes, 1 new PD builtin
-Kestral mount changes
-Osprey now has regenerating dumb flares
-Nesasio stat changes
-All weapons recieved tuning
-Ship stats tuning
-Description revamps
-New 3 OP single-barrel Chisel

HOTFIX 0.1
-Nearly all variants received an overhaul, and over-OP cases were removed.
-ECCM hullmod added to the Cormorant
-Light Overcharger Light damage reduced, 275->220
-Heavy Scrapshot flux efficiency rounded to 1.1
-Randomized Missions received clarification on ctrl-click commands. Have fun!

So much has changed! Hopefully for the better.

[close]
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 08:22:35 PM by Sleepyfish »

ModdedLaharl

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: [0.9.1a] The Star Federation (Based on FTL) - v0.5
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 08:44:18 AM »

yes yes yeS YES YES YES YES YES

I played FTL for years and years before discovering Starsector. I am immensely excited to see this.

Admittedly, I played FTL Captain's Edition for so long that I no longer remember what's Vanilla FTL and what's not. So, question then; will you be doing any of the stuff from CE?

MajorTheRed

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 08:54:10 AM »

That's a really impressive homage to FTL! You put a lot of effort on bringing in the special features of the game in Starsector!

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 08:58:08 AM »

Pirate versions! We need pirate versions of those!
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • Toss a coin to your Modder, O' valley of plenty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 10:17:29 AM »

Congratulation!

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 11:17:43 AM »

Alex doesn't tweet releases of any old regular mods. It's nice to see you publish something at last.

Sleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 01:03:10 PM »

Alex doesn't tweet releases of any old regular mods. It's nice to see you publish something at last.
Oh no, the state of things! Scrambles for broom and dustpan!

Congratulation!
That's a really impressive homage to FTL! You put a lot of effort on bringing in the special features of the game in Starsector!
Ah, thanks! Just don't tell anyone I only play FTL on easy...

Pirate versions! We need pirate versions of those!
Y'arrr, parrr-haps. Purple paintjobs and ammofeeders unite?

yes yes yeS YES YES YES YES YES

I played FTL for years and years before discovering Starsector. I am immensely excited to see this.

Admittedly, I played FTL Captain's Edition for so long that I no longer remember what's Vanilla FTL and what's not. So, question then; will you be doing any of the stuff from CE?
I was thinking about snatching a little shuttlecraft from a different mod to fill out the frigate roster. But those CE designs do seem somewhat interesting! We'll see!

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 01:29:12 PM »

Really glad to see this finally leave the nest. Looks great; I love the way you translated FTL's designs and mechanics into Starsector.
People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations.

mora

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 03:37:51 PM »

Few things I noticed:
The stations this mod adds have absurdly large icons on the minimap for some reason. Not like its a problem or anything but just thought it was weird.
The Flak 1, or Light Scrapshot is classified as a medium weapon instead of small which is weird since its name, id and firing sound id "fed_flaksmall_fire" implies that this weapon is meant to be a small weapon.
The Pike Beam's description says Glaive Beam instead of Pike Beam.
There is already a Buzzard-class frigate in the Kadur Remnant mod. Unless "Buzzard" is the official name for the Federation Bomber it is based on, I think you should change it.
The Defense drone MKIIs sound like flak cannons when they fire. I'm pretty sure they sounded more like pew pew.
And finally the Federation lacks a faction description but you are probably aware of this yes?

Some shield ideas:
How about adding an effect to the Federation hullmod that would make shields unfold nearly instantly to kinda mimic FTL shields? Would it be too powerful? Multiplying shield unfold rate by 9999f(%) or some higher number got the bubble shield style going.
How about making zoltan shields bigger than normal shields? Zoltan shields deplete first in FTL. Some ships don't have 360 degree zoltan shields so maybe only for the flagship?

Sleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 05:04:47 PM »

Few things I noticed:
The stations this mod adds have absurdly large icons on the minimap for some reason. Not like its a problem or anything but just thought it was weird.
The Flak 1, or Light Scrapshot is classified as a medium weapon instead of small which is weird since its name, id and firing sound id "fed_flaksmall_fire" implies that this weapon is meant to be a small weapon.
The Pike Beam's description says Glaive Beam instead of Pike Beam.
There is already a Buzzard-class frigate in the Kadur Remnant mod. Unless "Buzzard" is the official name for the Federation Bomber it is based on, I think you should change it.
The Defense drone MKIIs sound like flak cannons when they fire. I'm pretty sure they sounded more like pew pew.
And finally the Federation lacks a faction description but you are probably aware of this yes?

Some shield ideas:
How about adding an effect to the Federation hullmod that would make shields unfold nearly instantly to kinda mimic FTL shields? Would it be too powerful? Multiplying shield unfold rate by 9999f(%) or some higher number got the bubble shield style going.
How about making zoltan shields bigger than normal shields? Zoltan shields deplete first in FTL. Some ships don't have 360 degree zoltan shields so maybe only for the flagship?
Ack, file peeker! Well, I'm gonna pull a "early access" mulligan here and say yes, things are rough around the edges.
  • The Pike Beam is very much unfinished if you couldn't tell by the "tachlance" fire sound effect.
  • The Buzzard sharing a name with Kadur, that's good to know.
  • The Light Scrapshot is supposed to be a medium, more like a sidegrade heavy autocannon. Heavy scrapshot is what you want if you need to break thick shields, but is much less effective versus small targets compared to the Light Scrapshot's tight dispersion.
  • Drone PD sfx are on the way!
  • I learned that tuning shields to deploy super fast unfortunately causes some graphical glitches.
  • Zoltan Shields are outside in FTL, true, but I think spending 90% of the battle listening to overload sounds and watching your ship sparkle with green arcs is a bit irritating. It also doesn't protect against torpedoes for engine reasons, so you'd get splashed for double the HE damage on your main shields.
I am also fixing other things like informative hullmods and filling out missing descriptions. I should get integration with Nexerelin done in the next update as well. Shoddy state aside, I wanted to get this out there because it'd be a better way to get balance feedback, and I have been sitting on it for a rather long time.

mora

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 06:18:57 PM »

• I learned that tuning shields to deploy super fast unfortunately causes some graphical glitches.
  • Zoltan Shields are outside in FTL, true, but I think spending 90% of the battle listening to overload sounds and watching your ship sparkle with green arcs is a bit irritating. It also doesn't protect against torpedoes for engine reasons, so you'd get splashed for double the HE damage on your main shields.
:'(

I am also fixing other things like informative hullmods and filling out missing descriptions. I should get integration with Nexerelin done in the next update as well. Shoddy state aside, I wanted to get this out there because it'd be a better way to get balance feedback, and I have been sitting on it for a rather long time.
Glad you decided to release it then, was wondering why nobody made a FTL mod yet...
And speaking of nexerelin, are faction relationships final? Just asking because the luddites may not like the ENGICores...

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 08:34:26 AM »

Y'arrr, parrr-haps. Purple paintjobs and ammofeeders unite?

Ya! And a space Cthulhu icon, if possible.
Spoiler
[close]
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Vensalir

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 09:28:04 AM »

Very nice, beautiful looking ships there.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 09:38:26 AM »

So if this is for the federations ships, and I guess the rebels as they just use recoloured versions of these ships.

Any chances for the other peoples/factions ships for the independents to use?
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

MajorTheRed

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 10:10:12 AM »

So if this is for the federations ships, and I guess the rebels as they just use recoloured versions of these ships.

Any chances for the other peoples/factions ships for the independents to use?

I guess the Slugs ships could be added to the Smugglers/Tri-Tachyon (ships with phase + ECM), while Mantis could be added to the pirates?
Pages: [1] 2 3