Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Other grand goals/stuff to spend credits on, besides colony building.  (Read 924 times)

Snapshot

• Ensign
    • View Profile

One of my favorite aspects of this game is how the mechanics allow a framework with a lot of freedom to be the sort of spacefarer you want to be. Like brawling in huge battles? You can salvage several battleships drifting in space and fight to build your fleet up into a giant wrecking ball of mercenaries.

Want to smuggle? You have the option of going dark, hiding in asteroids, modding your ships to both be harder to detect as well as better hide your contraband to lower the chance of security forces finding your drugs when you are searched.

An explorer? You got hulking cargo ships and fuel freighters to bring along and dozens of uncharted star systems to explore, derelicts and abandoned stations to explore, fleets of rouge AI to both avoid, escape from and fight.

And you can freely bounce around between these options, given you make the nessesary preparations.

But for all these options, you're all funneled into the same over-arching goal. Build a colony.

Built a mercenary fleet that's the envy of most empires? Build a colony.
Built a vast fortune trading and smuggling? Build a colony.
Explored a vast swath of unexplored space, uncovering countless mysteries of the local star group? Build a colony.

I wish there were other options available, the freedom to choose what you end up sinking millions of credits in. What those might be, I'm not sure. Maybe become a titan of industry in the core worlds? Unite the core worlds under one leader? Build a working ring gate? Discover what happened to cause the collapse? Send a fleet of ships back to earth to find out what happened? I'm not sure what options would work that would be the equal of building a colony, but it's just my suggestion that there be other options for players to spend their credits.

Though it makes me wonder if all the other options need to also produce credits to make them viable, as you do end up getting a lot of credits in the long run as colonies develop. 

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Other grand goals/stuff to spend credits on, besides colony building.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 06:16:04 AM »

Hire other fleets to kill the zombie pirate bases or sat bomb expedition spamming worlds so I can explore and do what I want instead of playing the High Plain Drifter (player) saving treacherous civilians (core worlds and expedition spamming factions) from the outlaws (zombie pirates) for most of the game.

That said, paying fleets is like a roundabout way of bribing.  If that is all they can do, then sat bombing the core worlds until they all die might still be the ideal solution.

Maybe spend money on mega projects.  I do like high income.  That means I can lose my entire fleet and rebuild it with Heavy Industry.  That said, adding story points to add permamods to ships might put a damper on that idea.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 06:20:06 AM by Megas »

Lorant

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 06:29:31 PM »

treasure-hunting mechanic could be interesting. Drop a bunch of credit bombs on a faction's university/research center/scrying computers, and they'll periodically outfit a tech-mining expedition for a planet in the outer sector. Fleet arrives, sets up temporary research colony where you can buy structures to influence the findings of the excavation: ai war artifacts, luddic texts, lost domain colony soda machines
Oh and you'll have to fend off uh pirates or mercenaries from rival powers. or something

rokenx2

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 04:53:37 PM »

i very much agree late game its not tooo difficult to find myself with 100m+ after a while of just messing around carelessly and i stopped putting character points into colony management skills =P

personally  i think it would be cool if each major faction started in a corner of the map perhaps make the map more circular to accommodate more factions then as the game progresses they slowly try to colonize inwards untill they run into each other and have to fight though you'd have to make planets uncolonizeable someway and make them very selective about colonizing i think that could be super fun guess thats a bit off topic though

how about for your treasure-hunting mechanic you could invest in spys and information that would give you "leads" on where a "treasure fleet" was and you could ambush them (if they where a faction you don't mind *** off) in hopes of exceptionally good loot/rare ships/blueprints or such also would like to see the ability to invest money to enlarge your factions Ai fleet sizes and limited control over their actions givin em basic orders also the ability to donate ships you no longer need to the ai fleets of your faction or perhaps another for a rep boost...

hard to think of really good money sinks in the game honestly at this point its basicly build a colony make it profitable.. wait and bamo unlimited money