Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Delta-V: Rings of Saturn  (Read 1527 times)

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
Delta-V: Rings of Saturn
« on: September 11, 2020, 10:24:18 AM »

Last week I tried "Delta-V: Rings of Saturn". It is an in-development independent game that was released as early access last year. Basically it is a space mining simulator with nice Sci-Fi vibes and an emphasis on real physics.

I only tried the free demo for a few hours, and found the game interesting. It has good graphics, sound effects and music. The spaceship flight model allows two very different gameplay modes with a seamless switch between the two : manual and autopilot.

Autopilot mode let the player “drive” the spaceship like a car and is especially useful for mining since the ship auto-aims by changing direction toward target asteroids / minerals / objects.

Manual mode let the player engage various thrusters to move the ship in various ways. It is the efficient and fun way to move around asteroids. It takes some practice to actually move around rocks and not into them, this is probably the one point where people will either love or hate the game.

From a Starsector player perspective, whereas Starsector at its core is (IMO) an arcade space fleet battle engine with very well polished battle gameplay, Delta-V seems to be much less about combat and more about enjoying the ride using a single spaceship in a realistic yet mysterious environment. Of course Starsector has exploration and some mysteries too, but from a relatively far away perspective compared to Delta-V. Delta-V has some economy elements and spaceship upgrades, so I guess there is player progression along the journey, but it seems to be much simpler than Starsector.

So I’ll keep an eye on this game as it progresses and gets released.

Have you guys tried it? What do you think?

https://koder.itch.io/dv-rings-of-saturn

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Delta-V: Rings of Saturn
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 12:23:08 PM »

I remember playing a very early alpha of, what I think, was this game. (or maybe it was the demo?)

Found it impossibly hard, and not at all clear as to what the objective was  ::) (maybe back then there wasn't one!)

DubTre6

• Commander
  • Tri-Tachyon Agricultural Rep.
    • View Profile
Re: Delta-V: Rings of Saturn
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 12:20:29 PM »

I haven't tried it, but I think I will now. Thanks for the recommendation
8) why fight the paragon when you can BE the paragon 8)