Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Possible "Empty mounts spam" solution?  (Read 7066 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: Possible "Empty mounts spam" solution?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2020, 06:12:15 PM »

If some mounts being empty is normal, vanilla variants should do that at least sometimes. (Although I understand autofit plugin doesn't handle empty mounts well)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2020, 06:22:53 PM »

If some mounts being empty is normal, vanilla variants should do that at least sometimes. (Although I understand autofit plugin doesn't handle empty mounts well)

Fair point!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2020, 06:29:31 PM »

Hmm. So this is developing the idea of making overfluxed loadouts / alpha strikes more potent, right? That is, making caps better goes ... somewhat hand-in-hand with making overfluxed loadouts better. Not precisely, but still.

Thing is, I don't think that improving essentially a failure case ("oops, overloaded, 50% chance you're about to be deleted by some Harpoons anyway") is going to be a super effective way to go here. It feels like it'd need to improve something the player wants to do, not something they would avoid almost entirely with perfect play. Hmm.

Mh, sorry, what does overfluxed mean, exactly? Just a very high flux capacity or generally high end flux stats?

I think making caps better this way is not primarily for alpha strikers, but also for all kind of support, carrier and civilian ships that use high flux capacity to keep their shields up until help arrives. A ship with no vents and all caps might then only have a very few seconds of overload, and that 50% death chance might drop to 10%.

Or said another way, the ability to keep up sustained fire by having many vents would be a direct trade off for your survival chances during overload.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2020, 06:34:19 PM »

Ah, sorry, by "overfluxed" I mean "weapons build flux at a rate that's significantly higher than the ship's dissipation".

I see what you're saying, yeah. Overload is still something to avoid, though - I guess this could be an ok effect on some ships (generally support that's not meant to fight - where you *already* often want caps anyway)), but for anything else, I don't think it'd make enough difference. It's still just buffing a state the ship is doing its best to avoid!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2020, 06:47:08 PM »

Funny, I'd think of that as underfluxed or over-armed^^"

As a side note, I'm on my first proper holiday since a long time, finding the leisure for the forum, and it's really fun thinking about Starsector game mechanics again. Missed it, even though I'm rusty:)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2020, 07:01:46 PM »

Not a bad thing to do during a holiday, especially these days :)

(Overfluxed = generating too much flux! I think maybe there's a tendency to sometimes invert flux - as in thinking of "underfluxed = doesn't have enough flux to fire its weapons" but more properly it's the opposite.)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2020, 07:09:55 PM »

I think my main gripe, as I harped on with the 2 new cruisers, is that some ships have slots they NEVER want a weapon in. Scarab's side slots, for example; it's bad design IMO.

Dedicated logistics ships also suffer from this, but I think if fleets were small enough there would be incentive to arm them to beef up your fleet. Or they would be ditched for hybrid ships, I dunno.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2020, 07:28:20 PM »

Well, that's not actually true, is it? See: phase ships and capacitors being comparatively a much better choice on them than on other ships, due to their ability to maneuver in and out, making high alpha strikes (and thus caps) more effective. Any ship that can choose the engagement can benefit more from capacitors over vents, with phase ships being the most extreme example (and, granted, they also need extra flux capacity to close in effectively, but that's not the only reason caps are good on them.)

Well... sure but i have a feeling we weren't talking about phase ships. But even then the vents and caps trade off works. Its just that vents allow a faster recycle time and caps allow a higher burst. Fundamentally your DPS is still hard limited by your vents in a linear fashion. The caps just let you bank it.

Same thing happens for "high mobility ships" but caps also provide immediate tank and so extend the potential engagement duration as well (as well as let you bank your flux dissipation)

As a result the effectiveness of the ship is still a function of the product of vents and caps and absent non-linear scaling as to their value you will still tend to maximize at whichever additional vent/cap has the higher percentage increase.

Keep in mind that my position was that "caps are undervalued right now in most peoples fitting paradigm". I think that so is overfluxing (so long as you've range gapped your weapons such that they provide significantly different value/purpose to where you spend the flux) but that situation would still be improved by better AI weapon management

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2020, 07:35:09 PM »

I see what you're saying, yeah. Overload is still something to avoid, though - I guess this could be an ok effect on some ships (generally support that's not meant to fight - where you *already* often want caps anyway)), but for anything else, I don't think it'd make enough difference. It's still just buffing a state the ship is doing its best to avoid!

Make sense:)

If you'd want to be quite adventerous here, you could change that and let players develop overload into a state that's part of their tactis. Imagine you, on you max caps ship, approach a target, fire a battery of AM-blasters and max out flux, get overloaded, and now your dissipation is actually higher than it would be if your (non-existing) vents were still responsible for it. You could complement that playstile with hullmods, e.g. one that lets you fire weapons even during overload - at the cost of permanent flux capacity for the duration of the battle.
Or one that makes it so the overload acts like the EMP-effect of the Omen.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2020, 08:05:52 PM »

Personally, I have no issues with empty mounts.  And you're still going to run into that in player fleets sometimes simply because they don't have weapons on hand or purchasable to fill them with.  Sometimes when you buy that wolf, you've got a pulse laser and no other energy weapons for sale.  It is just making a bad situation worse for no good reason.

If you increase flux stats, you'll still have some load outs without all weapon slots filled because players will push their OP into hullmods.  Or simply switch to higher flux weapons and still leave some empty.  As far as I can tell, one of the design goals of the ship loadout system is flexibility and trade offs.  So give an Onslaught double the flux dissipation, and you will still have builds that pump a ton of OP into hullmods and perhaps leave off weapons.  Especially if they pile on high flux cost weapons.

The biggest problem with this idea, is we've got huge variation in weapon OP costs and flux usage.  For any sane amount of flux you put on an Onslaught, I can always put more weapons on it than flux dissipation allows.  All you would be doing is moving the cutoff where empty mounts start showing up.  An Onslaught equipped with three Mjolnirs and the built in two TPC hits 2400 flux/second.  And that is just on the larges.  Throw on high flux mediums and smalls and you can probably hit almost 7,000 flux per second.  An Onslaught equipped with 3 Hellbore and 2 TPC hits 1150 flux/second.  There's a 1250 flux plus 24 OP difference right there in the larges, and potentially another 4,000 flux/second in the smalls if you just fill them vulcans or something.

If you give all ships tons of flux dissipation, and suddenly the cheap, flux efficient weapons don't have a place.  Why use cheap bombers on a Drover or Astral with guns/missiles when you can just use high end bombers and guns?

Unless people are proposing to flatten all weapon OP costs and flux usage, while also making them trivial in OP cost relative to hull mods, I don't see how you can avoid some player builds skipping weapons.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 08:07:31 PM by Hiruma Kai »

huhn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2020, 08:33:19 PM »

Well, that's not actually true, is it? See: phase ships and capacitors being comparatively a much better choice on them than on other ships, due to their ability to maneuver in and out, making high alpha strikes (and thus caps) more effective. Any ship that can choose the engagement can benefit more from capacitors over vents, with phase ships being the most extreme example (and, granted, they also need extra flux capacity to close in effectively, but that's not the only reason caps are good on them.)
i have to disagree on this. i'm pretty fly the doom constantly (my doom fanaticism is so bad i'm getting bored of the game) and i would never take a cap over a vent on this ship and i'm over capping constantly and only 2-3 of my anti matter blaster totally worth is because thanks to the vent i can even at max flux "instantly" cloak again. even at 100 % it only take a very very short time to vent the ship.

i care about the time it takes to vent caps don't help me here and i rarely vent when i'm even close to 100% i'm venting at 1-30 % all the time.

but i'm personally think the system is currently working pretty good.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2020, 08:50:23 PM »

I think my main gripe, as I harped on with the 2 new cruisers, is that some ships have slots they NEVER want a weapon in. Scarab's side slots, for example; it's bad design IMO.

I mean, it says "experimental" right on the tin! (Only about 50% kidding here... more seriously, though, the Scarab is not a great *general purpose* argument here, because it's pretty unique. The obvious "solution" there would just be to remove a few weapon slots, not make systemic changes. Edit: and I suppose likewise for other ships where that's truly the case!)

Well... sure but i have a feeling we weren't talking about phase ships. But even then the vents and caps trade off works. Its just that vents allow a faster recycle time and caps allow a higher burst. Fundamentally your DPS is still hard limited by your vents in a linear fashion. The caps just let you bank it.

Same thing happens for "high mobility ships" but caps also provide immediate tank and so extend the potential engagement duration as well (as well as let you bank your flux dissipation)

As a result the effectiveness of the ship is still a function of the product of vents and caps and absent non-linear scaling as to their value you will still tend to maximize at whichever additional vent/cap has the higher percentage increase.

Gotcha. I just meant that generally ships that control the engagement stand to benefit more from capacitors than ships that don't.

Keep in mind that my position was that "caps are undervalued right now in most peoples fitting paradigm". I think that so is overfluxing (so long as you've range gapped your weapons such that they provide significantly different value/purpose to where you spend the flux) but that situation would still be improved by better AI weapon management

FWIW, the AI *will* have better flux management in the next release, though probably not to that degree.

If you'd want to be quite adventerous here, you could change that and let players develop overload into a state that's part of their tactis. Imagine you, on you max caps ship, approach a target, fire a battery of AM-blasters and max out flux, get overloaded, and now your dissipation is actually higher than it would be if your (non-existing) vents were still responsible for it. You could complement that playstile with hullmods, e.g. one that lets you fire weapons even during overload - at the cost of permanent flux capacity for the duration of the battle.
Or one that makes it so the overload acts like the EMP-effect of the Omen.

Sort of sounds like venting with a twist :)

This reminds me of the "dump coolant" or whatever feature from mech warrior, where you could dissipate heat rapidly at the cost of a permanent penalty to your mech's heat stats.

In general, though, this kind of stuff - while it could be fun - is I think too much of a change given where things are at right now. It entails a bunch of AI changes, a metric ton of playtesting, and so on. I mean, IF we're aiming to improve capacitors, that feels like a tiny bit of overkill :)

I think capacitors are in a pretty reasonable place, by the way! They super don't need to be "as good as" vents. I think there may be a tendency to assume that they should be because they both cost one OP each but design-wise, they're basically a fine-grained dump for ordnance points. There's no reason they need to be equally good - as long as capacitors aren't *entirely useless*, they're fine since they fill their place in the design.

For example, if e.g. there were changes that made overfluxed loadouts better, that'd make capacitors better too, yeah, but that wouldn't be the reason for the changes, that'd just be a consequence.

Spoiler
Personally, I have no issues with empty mounts.  And you're still going to run into that in player fleets sometimes simply because they don't have weapons on hand or purchasable to fill them with.  Sometimes when you buy that wolf, you've got a pulse laser and no other energy weapons for sale.  It is just making a bad situation worse for no good reason.

If you increase flux stats, you'll still have some load outs without all weapon slots filled because players will push their OP into hullmods.  Or simply switch to higher flux weapons and still leave some empty.  As far as I can tell, one of the design goals of the ship loadout system is flexibility and trade offs.  So give an Onslaught double the flux dissipation, and you will still have builds that pump a ton of OP into hullmods and perhaps leave off weapons.  Especially if they pile on high flux cost weapons.

The biggest problem with this idea, is we've got huge variation in weapon OP costs and flux usage.  For any sane amount of flux you put on an Onslaught, I can always put more weapons on it than flux dissipation allows.  All you would be doing is moving the cutoff where empty mounts start showing up.  An Onslaught equipped with three Mjolnirs and the built in two TPC hits 2400 flux/second.  And that is just on the larges.  Throw on high flux mediums and smalls and you can probably hit almost 7,000 flux per second.  An Onslaught equipped with 3 Hellbore and 2 TPC hits 1150 flux/second.  There's a 1250 flux plus 24 OP difference right there in the larges, and potentially another 4,000 flux/second in the smalls if you just fill them vulcans or something.

If you give all ships tons of flux dissipation, and suddenly the cheap, flux efficient weapons don't have a place.  Why use cheap bombers on a Drover or Astral with guns/missiles when you can just use high end bombers and guns?

Unless people are proposing to flatten all weapon OP costs and flux usage, while also making them trivial in OP cost relative to hull mods, I don't see how you can avoid some player builds skipping weapons.
[close]

(Makes sense!)

i have to disagree on this. i'm pretty fly the doom constantly (my doom fanaticism is so bad i'm getting bored of the game) and i would never take a cap over a vent on this ship and i'm over capping constantly and only 2-3 of my anti matter blaster totally worth is because thanks to the vent i can even at max flux "instantly" cloak again. even at 100 % it only take a very very short time to vent the ship.

i care about the time it takes to vent caps don't help me here and i rarely vent when i'm even close to 100% i'm venting at 1-30 % all the time.

but i'm personally think the system is currently working pretty good.

To clarify, what I'm saying is that on ships that control the engagement, capacitors are relatively more valuable than capacitors are on ships that don't. Not that capacitors are necessarily better than *vents* on these ships. Also, the Doom, while a phase ship, plays fairly differently than its smaller, faster cousins - it's not so much about hit and run - so, yeah, that doesn't really apply to it; we're on the same page there. I probably shouldn't have blanketly said "phase ships"; how they play changes quite a bit at cruiser level and beyond!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 09:02:04 PM by Alex »

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2020, 11:00:21 PM »

Usually I think about ships that are overfluxxed as dealing some self-damage whenever they fire over dissipation. Vents reduce this self-damage, and thus increase the available shield HP, which is the same effect that you get from capacitors in some sense (not necessarily the same magnitude), but without increased vent time, which is why I generally value them a bit more.

I think for DPS considerations, it's also important to think about venting and vent cycles as well. You get double dissipation while venting, so it's actually better for DPS to fire more than your dissipation and vent than to fire right at dissipation forever. You bank up some flux but then dissipate it at 2x speed which does more damage than you would have firing at base dissipation the whole time.

One idea for buffing over fluxed ships is to buff resistant flux conduits. It seems to me that RFC is a real enabler of vent spammy loadouts, so buffing it would indirectly buff the play style.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2020, 11:13:24 PM »

Shi~...

That was really strong whiskey yesterday...
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2020, 12:20:53 AM »

I was thinking about this stuff since a while ago, too.
The first two, obvious ideas are either to give ships infinite flux or to create weapons that cost no flux or OP to mount and fire. Or, well, those are the limits. I personally would prefer leaving ships as they are and go for cheap guns instead. Cheap enough that they are similar to spending leftover OPs on caps: it's not going to hurt you and it's better than nothing. The question is, how cheap those weapons would have to be and what strength would balance the "not better than normal weapons" and "not worse than getting more caps/vents" requirements? There sort of are guns like that already (you can put light mortars in small and medium ballistics, and heavy mortars in larges), but they don't seem to be used as filler. And there are no energy equivalents (mining lasers are so bad, it's better not to get them at all!).
I'm not sure if I'm opposed to the cheap guns idea, but it would be best to just test it out.

Iirc, one of the things contributing to the value of vents over capacitators is their utility during overload.
More vents decrease the amount of flux you will have after an overload (and the overload duration?), while caps increase it.
Vents are better than caps because dissipation is firepower over time. Caps are good for short or lopsided engagements, where you just swoop and win, but most of my battles are ones where there's no possible flux capacitance that would let me win. If you're going to hit the cap anyway, it's better to have more vents and perform better when the situation is unfavourable. Ships that can retreat far, far away to vent can benefit from caps somewhat, but they are rare.

Mora and Onslaught also have some unnecessary mounts, but those are far more arguable.

I think for DPS considerations, it's also important to think about venting and vent cycles as well. You get double dissipation while venting, so it's actually better for DPS to fire more than your dissipation and vent than to fire right at dissipation forever. You bank up some flux but then dissipate it at 2x speed which does more damage than you would have firing at base dissipation the whole time.
Vents make venting faster and AI more eager to do it. It's a no brainer for the player and still an attractive option for AI, though the latter more because AI is just too shy about venting.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6