Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alex Appreciation Thread  (Read 1307 times)

Alfalfa

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Alex Appreciation Thread
« on: August 21, 2020, 01:06:38 AM »

So, I bought Starsector way back in 2012, back when it was called Starfarer, for something stupid low, like $20 or less.  As much flak as they receive, I'm personally a big fan of 'Early Access' games, starting with Starsector's most common comparison: Mount & Blade.  I feel that the format allows neophyte developers to present their concept directly to consumers in a manner that allows them to buy into their vision in a iterative way that gradually validates their concept from initital prototype to realized product in a gradual progression from risk-taking 'investors' to savvy consumers.  However, as much as I love many games that fall into this format, most of them fall victim to 'feature bloat,' where they start from an initial version demonstrating an innovational concept and progressively tack on more and more features in a haphazard fashion in an attempt to fill out their initial concept and never end up resulting in a well constructed final product.

As someone who's played games for most of their life, found themselves analyzing their structure, design, and purpose behind such, as well as toyed with the idea of delving into the creation of, I find myself continuously impressed with the deliberation with which Alex approaches the addition of new and alteration of existing features.  Following the arc of development, I see someone who started with a reasonably concrete vision of what he wanted to achieve, settled on a starting point (combat) and implemented that genesis point with as much accuracy as his initial perspective allowed, then iteratively added features, bit by bit, in moderation and with full consideration of the impact they would have on the groundwork he had already laid as he could muster, in order to inch his work towards it's final goal.

This approach, of starting from the main gameplay loop and consciously developing outwards, is one I have been consistently impressed with, and which I would emulate were I ever to take on a project of this magnitude and recommend studying to anyone interested in game design.  Too many games as of late seem to merely emulate without considering the ramifications one feature has upon another, pale in comparison to Alex's considered approach to development.

I've come back to this game time and time again since purchase, and almost every design decision he's made, whether I agree with it at the time or not, I've found to positively influence the experience.

As a fan of playing and analyzing games, I just wanted to throw out a kudos to Alex for being a shining example of a developer.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Re: Alex Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 01:50:57 AM »

Here, here!

I have played Starsector (once Starfarer) since I first saw the basic art and weapon sketchworks - before a campaign option even existed. It was a few combat missions back then. I still remember the post where Alex stated he went full time towards development. I think it was a big inspiration for me to pursue technology as a whole, to be honest - though I did it much later as I had less confidence in my abilities back then. I started modding immediately upon learning that it was possible. At the time, it was mainly just to fiddle with things and design new ships from my own sci-fi inspirations. I was inspired to learn more and that drove me to even pursue a degree in computer science because I liked doing it so much and I wanted to learn how to do more complex things.

Alex's blog posts gave me an insight into game design I had never seen before. He was candid about why he did things and what considerations he made when designing something new. He explains the reasoning behind a design approach and that is invaluable to someone trying to learn how to make an intriguing game. Approaching the design from multiple angles and perspectives, the end result is both polished and extensible.

In this vein, I want to add that I think Alex is more conscientious of modders than 100% of developers I know. He genuinely tries to help with problems and strives to create an environment of learning and support. I don't think the vast majority of mods today would be possible without the questions he has answered or the support API he has developed in response to community feedback over many years of dedication.

Truly awe-inspiring.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 05:40:11 AM »

There's one thing, among many others, I really admire about him and that's the way he proves me and others wrong regularly. Often times there'll be a change or even a whole blog post that doesn't really seem good at first for some, so it's easy to have a knee jerk negative reaction. But Alex stands his ground, doesn't give in to the vocal minority and reassures us all will go well. And in the end it really does. He really has an elegant way of implementing new content and features, or even redesigning current ones.

(I'm not saying every single change ever was 100% good and he's some sort of a supernatural being, you can't make a perfect product that will please everyone. But you can do your best and that's what I'm appreciating here.)
Please don't take me too seriously.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 08:21:16 AM »

I still stand by my promise to rebuy the game when it reaches 1.0 and launches on other platforms (though even if the latter doesn't happen I'll try to contribute some other way). While the development is slow, I hear tales of other small team projects such as Cube World and I can't help but be thankful for Alex's efforts.

But most of all, it's the communication. I really, really appreciate Alex taking the time to directly address almost every concern people raise about the game. The other day I was browsing a feedback thread in another game I'm interested in which shall remain nameless, and in it not only the devs decided to ignore most of the legit concerns, when they did reply they were arrogant and condescending. I'm very happy that if I have anything that I want to say, be it inquiries or worries, Alex will be here to listen and if he decides to respond it'll be always fairly, regardless if he agrees with my points or not.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 08:25:09 AM by Cyan Leader »

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 09:04:22 AM »

Alex seriously read what I ,being drunk, post in a suggestions thread with my broken english. And here I am, not banned, not even warned. Each time I get serious reply instead.

He should be canonized as saint.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 10:32:53 AM »

I don't like praising people just so. I've seen it too often to consider it meaningful. Alex is doing his job and I paid him and I continue to be engaged. If I didn't care, I wouldn't be here.

I will say that I admire his endurance. I would like to be in his place, making what I want and what I like without worrying about money too much, but I'm not sure if I would last for as long as he did on one and the same game.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 10:57:29 AM »

I don't like praising people just so. I've seen it too often to consider it meaningful. Alex is doing his job and I paid him and I continue to be engaged. If I didn't care, I wouldn't be here.
I get what you're saying but there are also people being paid for their work for an average performance, or even worse. I feel positive reinforcement is suitable for those who excel at their work, regardless of the amount of money they're getting for it. Of course too much praising and then you slowly lose meaning and it just becomes bland. But in the end it doesn't hurt anyone, especially the devs who are always glad to hear stuff like this.

+1 for the communication part, there wasn't a dev in my whole life who responded to almost all of my questions and suggestions, let alone with added explanation and thought put into answers.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 03:43:28 PM »

Thank you for the kind words, everyone! <3

I'll try not to let it go to my head :)

To turn this around, I really appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions and so on. There have been a lot of thoughtful discussions - more than I can count - and the game is much better off for what came out of those. Which, I mean, kind of sounds like a platitude, but it's 100% true.

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 05:59:48 PM »

i occasionally troll alex on twitter. i figure that's my contribution to the "we love alex" vibe.  hehe