Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Doubleclick bug  (Read 1015 times)

SaberCherry

• Commander
    • View Profile
Doubleclick bug
« on: August 16, 2020, 01:37:50 PM »

I am using a Windows 10 computer.  When I click on things in Starsector, it doubleclicks.  This does not happen in anything else so I'm fairly confident it is unique to Starsector.  This is a huge problem since I often accept quests, or do all kind of random things I don't intend to do.

I don't want to tell you how to fix it, but, for example, you could have global timer (e.g. public static volatile synchronized/atomic long/Long with System.nanoTime()) and ignore any clicks that are registered within, say, 50ms of a previous click.

The game does not always doubleclick.  Typically when I try to avoid the bug by clicking and holding down for long time, the bug does not manifest.  If I just click lightly, it almost always manifests.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Doubleclick bug
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 01:51:12 PM »

Hi - hmm. I'm pretty sure this is specific to something going on on your computer. Do you have any non-standard OS mouse settings? Say, mouse trails, or click-to-run (instead of double click), or anything of that sort? Barring that, I'd look at whatever other software you might have running, and try turning it off temporarily.

Also, rebooting and running the game as administrator is worth a shot. Also, running the game in compatibility mode for Windows 95 / XP / 7 - not because it's *necessary* normally, but just because it might change something about how your system is handling it and get around the issue.

(FWIW, I'm running the game on windows 10 right now, and not having the same problem. So it's definitely not a general issue. The question is, what's causing it in your case?)

SaberCherry

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 01:56:38 PM »

This is a brand-new Dell Windows 10 desktop [corporate, I mean, we're all working from home these days], nothing special about it.  I prefer Win7 :)  I'll try to run it in admin mode and report back, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do so.

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 06:41:27 PM »

It might help to add that many programs have input lockouts so that you cannot click through menus too fast accidentally, or accept popups before it's humanly possible to have read them, so it might register only a single mouseclick every 5-100ms depending on the program. Starsector doesn't have this lockout, and neither does windows10. This 'bug' is actually systemic to most currently sold mice, as they use chinese switches that have bad voltage regulation https://youtu.be/v5BhECVlKJA (simplified explanation). This can hide the fact you have an issue until you interact with a program which accepts input as fast as you give it.

You can determine whether this is a bug with your actual mouse hardware, or something odd with your software interactions, by dragging and dropping something around on the desktop. The doubleclick bug means your mouse has to think the button isn't being held at some point to fire off another click - so if the file or application is dropped/opened when attempting to move it around with the mouse button held down, it's a hardware issue.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 10:41:52 PM by Ishman »

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 10:08:21 PM »

Any mouse software running, like Logitech or Razer?
Any software that adds virtual desktops or overlays or something like that?

berkenkamp25

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 05:14:49 PM »

i have issues with razer synapse from time to time, i have razer keyboard product and bound two of the undefined extra keys to a 1ms LMB/RMB autoclicker when i have razer synapse running in the background it can cause double clicks. and it seems the razer black adder will double click after 12-18 months of daily use.

just my experience with razer and microsoft.

win 10/razer deathwidow/black adder

SaberCherry

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 07:26:58 PM »

I am using a Windows 10 computer.  When I click on things in Starsector, it doubleclicks.  This does not happen in anything else so I'm fairly confident it is unique to Starsector.  This is a huge problem since I often accept quests, or do all kind of random things I don't intend to do.

I don't want to tell you how to fix it, but, for example, you could have global timer (e.g. public static volatile synchronized/atomic long/Long with System.nanoTime()) and ignore any clicks that are registered within, say, 50ms of a previous click.

The game does not always doubleclick.  Typically when I try to avoid the bug by clicking and holding down for long time, the bug does not manifest.  If I just click lightly, it almost always manifests.

My apologies.  I replaced my mouse and everything works fine now.  It became clear that it was a hardware fault when I started lowering my shields randomly as well, and then I managed to replicate it elsewhere.  Starsector is very sensitive to multiple consecutive clicks.  I consider this to be a good thing.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 07:45:44 PM »

No worries, glad you got it figured out! (My mouse's been acting up a bit, too - seems like really, every 3-4 years or so, they start to go bad...)