Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Starliner MK2?  (Read 1472 times)

rhinoabc

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Starliner MK2?
« on: August 10, 2020, 10:24:24 AM »

Looking at the Starliner, I think it has great potential for a conversion like the Colossus. The existing shuttle-bay could be used or expanded and the cabins could be torn out for hanger decks. Has anyone else noticed this?
Carrier Doctrine

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starliner MK2?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 11:00:15 AM »

I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 11:31:49 AM »

Many mods have make their own MKII : Luddic Path, carrier, missile cruiser...
Its little brother, the Nebula, is also available in many variants.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 11:38:08 AM »

Looking at the Starliner, I think it has great potential for a conversion like the Colossus. The existing shuttle-bay could be used or expanded and the cabins could be torn out for hanger decks. Has anyone else noticed this?

What role would it fill that isn't already being filled?

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 12:03:38 PM »

Is that really important? Even if it would do exactly the same job, as already existed ship? Additional diversity isn't bad, especially if you fight a large 30 ships enemy fleet, that have like 8-12 ships of a same hulltype. Yeah, I'm talking about Colossus mk3 in vanilla pirate fleets.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 03:27:44 AM »

Is that really important? Even if it would do exactly the same job, as already existed ship?

It absolutely is yeah. There's a reason there aren't 5 different kinds of small slot fragmentation pd or 5 kinds of Onslaught with slightly different colours and slots. It's pointless bloat, bad for performance and bad for gameplay.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 03:37:39 AM »

It absolutely is yeah. There's a reason there aren't 5 different kinds of small slot fragmentation pd or 5 kinds of Onslaught with slightly different colours and slots. It's pointless bloat, bad for performance and bad for gameplay.
By that logic, no one would ever play with mods since they're just pointless bloat no? Since whatever their role is, a vanilla ship already does that (in 99% of cases, unless it's some crazy special ship). Of course it's not the best for performance but there's nothing wrong with adding some extra flavor for some factions. Two ships with basically exact same slots but different stats and ship systems may play completely differently from each other.

Also what Mondaymonkey said, fighting pirates gets old pretty fast since they're both the most common enemy and use the same 3-4 ships (not counting frigates). Pinata (Atlas II and Prometheus III) and Brick (Venture) spam is all you're ever gonna see once you pass early game.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 08:33:27 AM »

5 kinds of Onslaught with slightly different colours and slots.

They are not implemented (yet), but I think Alex make them not without a reason.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 12:34:57 PM »

The greebly one in the middle was the old Eagle (D) pirates might have used briefly when (D) mods were first introduced.  It was derived from the original Eagle sprite from Starfarer.  The current Eagle sprite used in modern Starsector is not the original.

There used to be more greebly versions of several ships during the Starfarer days.  Also, Hermes Mercury used to be called "Shuttle", and it was shorter without the rear mount.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 03:00:24 PM by Megas »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 12:46:40 PM »

Black and white Eagle are probably not going to be implemented. Alex leaves cut content all over the place.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 12:51:39 PM »

Black and white Eagle are probably not going to be implemented. Alex leaves cut content all over the place.

The black & white Eagles were the results of my first experiments with creating recoloured sprites for the XIV skins. We figured we might come up with something to do with them or, if not, modders would have at it.

rhinoabc

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 03:33:04 PM »

My thoughts on it is that variety is good. It gets boring seeing Collosus MK3 over and over again. A Starliner MK2 (Pirates converting it to carrier) would help break up some repetition. LP getting a MK3 would fit "Civilian ships poorly refitted for war" while a MK4(Not what I was thinking, but could work) could be a better MK2 for independent fleets/planets that have better parts to work with. It's not really about filling in a slot, it's about expanding options and variety, which is important in a open-world game.
Edit: The MK4 Idea I had would fill a role like the Buffalo MK2 - Not enough warships, but you have a handy civilian ship and some dockyards right over there!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 03:42:50 PM by rhinoabc »
Carrier Doctrine