Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Defense from Expeditions War?  (Read 930 times)

Kolbe_Moser

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Defense from Expeditions War?
« on: August 15, 2020, 07:27:52 PM »

I've heard mixed reports so I was hoping someone who had done this would know for sure.

If you continue to defend from Expeditions instead of paying them off will your relations with them worsen enough for all out war?  I read the little blurb that states they're acting "unofficially" and therefore defending against them won't start a war but my relations still worsens when I successfully defend from them.  So does it mean that it stops lowering your relations right at the point that war would be declared?  Thanks!

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Defense from Expeditions War?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 08:24:32 PM »

The message is definitely confusing. All it means is that you personally fighting the fleet will not cause a loss of reputation, but when the expedition fails, you lose reputation (regardless of whether you fight). The message exists because in past versions of the game, you would lose reputation for fighting personally, and then again when the expedition failed (discouraging the player from fighting personally).

Eventually the faction will go hostile, although all that means in the vanilla game is that you can't trade with them or go into their systems freely. They don't send more attacks against your colonies or anything. I would recommend turning in gamma cores to maintain good reputation.

Kolbe_Moser

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 10:52:49 PM »

Ah, so destroying all other factions is just an inevitability as there's no reason not to at the point where money no longer matters.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 11:31:04 PM »

I mean, at the point where money no longer matters and you have everything there is to get, there's no reason to do anything. Might as well start a new run. For me personally, I've never found any enjoyment in grinding the late game out long enough to wipe everyone out.

It's also worth noting that most of your colony income comes from trade with other factions (internal trade doesn't generate any income), so if you destroy them all, you lose your income.

DubTre6

• Commander
  • Tri-Tachyon Agricultural Rep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 01:37:16 PM »

Wiping everyone out isn't super difficult, IMO, all it takes is a lot of grinding.
8) why fight the paragon when you can BE the paragon 8)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 03:57:39 PM »

What happens after total core kill:
* No more income from trade.  You still get income from Population and Infrastructure from all of your colonies.
* The mandatory pirate bases will always target your worlds for -3/-50% activity because your worlds are all that is left.
* Killing said pirate bases respawn almost immediately after elimination, meaning pirate activity is back on your colonies.

If you want to make a lot of money after you kill all of the core worlds, you need to colonize a bunch more worlds, and doing that requires alpha cores, which means farming Ordos in red systems.  With seven worlds and max colony skills, income without trade is about 10% of income with trade.

If I want to colonize the entire sector, total core kill is only the beginning.  Grinding Ordos after Ordos for cores until all worlds are colonized is the marathon grinding part.