Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exploration  (Read 902 times)

Kakroom

• Commander
    • View Profile
Exploration
« on: August 13, 2020, 10:59:01 PM »

I just wanted to do a quick appreciation post for the exploration side of this spaceman video game.

The very first time I left the core worlds the first system I entered had a high danger beacon. I didn't know about the spoilers so they mauled me and that was about it for me and exploration for the first <20 hours.

I've been playing with Nexerelin and I delete saves after I die and I only use the level 1 solo frigate start and shipping tiny bits of cargo between planets is boring as hooey. So I decided use what little money I had to go and have another go at the cosmos.

About 5 hours later I realized that I hadn't thought about killing even a single person in 5 hours. All that was on my mind was experiencing all the beauty the world had to offer - go visit supergiants and terraform moons and other stuff. Ooh, there's like an interesting world there, let's go visit that. Maybe it has sex parasites in its water or radiation or something. One time I found a pulsar and a black hole sharing a system. I don't know how rare that is but it sure looks cool.

There was some guy on the Reddit forums a while back who was of the mind the game should detonate the core worlds intrigue and focus more on exploration stuff. I still don't agree with him, but oh man, do I finally understand where he's coming from. It's intoxicating, being on the fringes of the known world and knowing something lifechanging or perspective-altering might be right around the corner. In the latest Devblog it looks like you're adding more cool scifi stuff to find, and I can't wait. I love this game. Thanks for making it!

https://youtu.be/fjj9gpqmYVI?t=31
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 11:00:35 PM by Kakroom »

Lucky Mushroom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Exploration
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 08:35:09 AM »

The very first time I left the core worlds the first system I entered had a high danger beacon. I didn't know about the spoilers so they mauled me and that was about it for me and exploration for the first <20 hours.

This is why there was High DENGER beacon haha. I had this same, first encounter with beacon, jump in system and get fricked by 6 fleets waiting on other side.

And exploring is truely amazing, but there is low income frome this sometimes (i mean supplies and fuel) and you have to back to core worlds for some.

DubTre6

• Commander
  • Tri-Tachyon Agricultural Rep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 08:46:19 AM »

Exploration is almost as enjoyable as the combat IMO. Though there's always something seriously satisfying about smacking those REDACTED silly.
8) why fight the paragon when you can BE the paragon 8)

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 09:23:31 AM »

(i mean supplies and fuel) and you have to back to core worlds for some.

Or you have to back to core worlds to sell exceed supplies and fuel, as your 12k cargo bay is bursting at the seams after a couple years long expedition to the fringe.

It isn't that hard to be self-sustained explorer if you do not mind to spend some skill points for salvaging-related skills + couple of salvage rigs in a fleet.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 09:30:42 AM »

Thank you for your kind words! Hi, and welcome to the forum :)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 09:41:38 AM »

The very first time I ever went exploring was a magical experience. I must have spent several hours just flying around all the new starsystems and finding new stuff.