Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Potencial porblem with Heron carrier  (Read 1771 times)

GravitonPL

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Potencial porblem with Heron carrier
« on: August 10, 2020, 08:46:12 AM »

Is it only me that have problem with Heron carrier staying half the battlefield away form the fight? For the life of me i cant make him stay close to the frontline, nothing really helps neither agressive officer or waypoint to rally or defend. What purpose his high speed have other than him running on the first sight of the enemy?

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
Re: Potencial porblem with Heron carrier
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 09:34:52 AM »

That is exactly the point of the Heron's speed. It's not a carrier that can stand on the front line against anything bigger than a frigate. It is designed to stay far back and fling extremely effective bomber strikes at the enemy. If you want carriers that can stand on the frontline, get Moras or Legions.

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 10:06:27 AM »

That is exactly the point of the Heron's speed. It's not a carrier that can stand on the front line against anything bigger than a frigate. It is designed to stay far back and fling extremely effective bomber strikes at the enemy. If you want carriers that can stand on the frontline, get Moras or Legions.
The Heron's stats are definitely well within frontline duties, i'd go as far as to say that they are more apt to survive than a Mora because of superior flux and mobility.
Not able to repel anything above a destroyer? The moment a ship chases a Heron is the moment you swarm it with triple enhanced fighter wings
Had them share the tanking duties along eagles regularly, the only time they fall is when last on the field, that's how good at staying alive Herons are.

Contrary to real carriers and naval doctrines, Starsector's mechanics encourage having all your ships in close proximity, it even benefits fighter/bomber engagement range, meaning more dps that does not cost flux nor is limited in amount as fighter depletion is a joke.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 10:20:51 AM »

I actually rather like piloting a Heron with a heavy blaster and attack fighters, and empathize a bit with the OP about them always kiting away. On the other hand, all the other carrier builds really want that kiting behavior and anything else is suicide, so I can understand why carrier tagged ships have the behavior.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 10:22:28 AM »

Your choice of weapon and AI captain personality(if applicable) are probably the biggest factors to the AI's engagement range.  If it's equipped with a pilum and point defense for example, it's not going anywhere NEAR combat. 

DubTre6

• Commander
  • Tri-Tachyon Agricultural Rep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 12:19:19 PM »

Your choice of weapon and AI captain personality(if applicable) are probably the biggest factors to the AI's engagement range.  If it's equipped with a pilum and point defense for example, it's not going anywhere NEAR combat.

I think it might also be tied to the Ship Tag. Because I've never seen a carrier go Alpha-Strike mode even with AM Blasters and Reaper Torpedoes.
8) why fight the paragon when you can BE the paragon 8)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 01:40:54 PM »

Legion is even worse.  It can be built to brawl an enemy capital, but the AI will not take Legion to the frontline to do so.

DancingMonkey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 07:46:42 AM »

Legion is even worse.  It can be built to brawl an enemy capital, but the AI will not take Legion to the frontline to do so.

Weird all my legions are constantly dying every fight after they burn drive too aggressively and then the AI has no clue what to do when surrounded and getting hit in the engines on that ship.

Lucky Mushroom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 08:31:34 AM »

I think there can be problem with loadout. Are you using thunder wing? they have much greater engagment range. I don't remember exacly but something like 2x more then rest of fighters and bombers.

Edit: And yes, they always are so shy.

Gurkie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 01:16:18 PM »

If you use bombers, they often wait around until all of them are reloaded before they leave together to bomb.

I've also noticed that when giving them a rally order at a location with no enemies, or a capture point order with no enemies, they'll just hang out guarding that area with the fighters.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 02:52:47 PM »

Legion will occasionally burn and get mobbed, but usually, they hang back fair distance away with the rest of my carriers, where it does not belong.

I use non-bombers on Legion, and I usually build it primarily for flagship use.  (The fighters are mainly for anti-frigate and anti-destroyer, to seek-and-destroy the cowardly AI that will stall until their CR decays to zero.)  Often, I (switch and) pilot a different ship and pass the Legion to AI.  If I want bombers, I will grab Astral instead.  Astral is much better with bombers than Legion.  I get Legion mainly to use as an Onslaught-lite with fighters, which is get to the frontline to blow big stuff up with heavy weapons while fighters take out the fast cowards my Legion cannot catch.