Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are mods jank, or is it just my sucky computer  (Read 1401 times)

Disco Wizard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Are mods jank, or is it just my sucky computer
« on: August 06, 2020, 12:34:30 PM »

Ive been playing a heavily modded game, i have some 45 mods installed and im quite enjoying my time. only thorn in my side is saving, which seems to have ceased functioning. after i get decently far into mids game, ill have two or three colonies, and be either at or approaching level 50. then after sessions longer then some short yet undetermined time when i try to save the game will freeze when i try to save and after waiting it out starsector will spit back a message saying something about dump heaps or CG overhead limits or something along those lines, i dont remember their exact contents.

is it possible this is caused by one mod in particular? ive tried trouble shooting on my own, even going as far as to retroactively add the command console to try and help. The only conclusions ive managed to make is it most probably has something to do with the amount of mods i have, primarily something that changes approaching mid game, and my all around trashy computer which im certain is turning 10 soon, within the next few years for sure

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Are mods jank, or is it just my sucky computer
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 12:42:57 PM »

Yeah it's just due to the number of mods, I'm not sure if any pc would handle >50 mods. That said, you could maybe try disabling graphicslib options in the mod files to turn off the fancy details, the game will obviously look worse but it might help. Other than that just cut down the amount of content mods. I don't think utility ones make any impact on performance.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 12:51:04 PM »

There are some threads on this in the modding help forum, but no solutions.

You probably have at least one mod that is doing something naughty, and something difficult to find which is why it hasn't been fixed.  You could try upping your allocated memory, but as you'll see in the linked thread that eventually stops working within reason.

shrek_luigi

• Ensign
  • im green as ****
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 01:52:46 PM »

how many faction mods do you have installed? the thread linked above mentions that the OP installed Every Faction Mod They Could Get Their Hands On, which most often is the cause for people's grief....especially as one gets further into a playthru
@Shrek_luigi: While I applaud your choice of flagship, please don't circumvent the profanity filter.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 05:36:01 PM »

Mods will definitely ramp up the demands on your machine in a hurry.

Disco Wizard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 08:47:38 PM »

i think i only have two or three not including vayra's sector. ive decided to just reduce the amount of mods im running. im at around 30-35 now, since i removed most ship and weapon expansions aside from i think one or two. ill go over it again and see if theres anything else i could skim down.

hopefully this will work

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 11:31:50 PM »

i think i only have two or three not including vayra's sector. ive decided to just reduce the amount of mods im running. im at around 30-35 now, since i removed most ship and weapon expansions aside from i think one or two. ill go over it again and see if theres anything else i could skim down.

hopefully this will work

Hmm - if that doesn't do it, I'd suggest trying turning off Vayra's Sector to see if that helps. It seems to be in the overlap of a couple of mod sets with issues (though some other mods are as well), and it's caused a few issues in the past (though those have been fixed by Vayra at the time they were found). But I wouldn't rule out something else lurking in there. This is by no means conclusive, but it would be an interesting data point to see whether it makes a difference, if say, your current run with it bogs down.

Just to double check, have you increased your ram allocation in the vmparams file?

(Also, yes, that's the number one thing. If you haven't, you 100% need to do that.)

Ced Riggs

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 09:30:49 AM »

Yeah it's just due to the number of mods, I'm not sure if any pc would handle >50 mods.
Ran 90 mods concurrently just fine. The GC limit issues OP describe sounds like 1GB RAM in vmparams, easily fixed.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 01:10:49 PM »

Sure you CAN run it, but try to play like that more than an hour or two and you'll see crazy stuff. Also kinda depends what mods exactly are you using.
Please don't take me too seriously.