Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: auto-pause options: entering jump points, and pursuing enemy enters N radius  (Read 978 times)

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile

Being a fleet navigator in SS requires FPS twitch skills...with near-instant use of pause button in at least two places:

1.  jumping in/out of systems:  is this a good day to die?  well I'll find out in the next milliseconds.

Getting munched when entering or exiting the jump point seems quite easy to resolve with a game option:   automatic contextual pause with screen update.

a) player chooses to enter hyperspace
b) game renders my fleet and the immediate environs *
c) game pauses
d) player can toggle this option on/off

* Player needs to see if there is an immediate need to evade, or re-enter the jump point.  Can we do a free visual ping for contacts (for ones in sensor range), unknown or not?

or another alternative:  automatic slow-to-half-real-time-speed when entering/exiting hyperspace.  It is the rate of hyperspace acceleration that gets me caught in these emergence scenarios...

2.  enemy sightings.   Evade or intercept?  This occurs any time my fleet is moving, not moving, in hyperspace, etc.  The screen resolution I need to use to read the text means that I have little tactical real estate.  Sustained burn enemies on head-on and flank approaches (thanks to human technology's RECTANGULAR monitor shape) are very dangerous.

a.  autopause when *enemy fleet pursuing the player* enters a certain radius of the player fleet

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile

Started another new game and once again...was struck at how little time I have to react if a pursuing fleet appears from top or bottom of the screen, especially.

Refreshing this post in the interest of new players:  an auto-pause when a pursuing enemy fleet is spotted would be a big help while new players are learning (just how dangerous the universe is and how small a fish they are in this big pond).

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I recently created an autopause feature for a new mod I am working on: Hostile Intercept https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18909.0

Please give it a try and say on the mod's thread what you think of it.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

Jump points being so dangerous is one of the reasons I often rush Nav 3 in my rare iron runthroughs. I second SafariJohns mod - I've only played a little bit with it but so far its quite nice.