Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A plea for better saving options/ui  (Read 2033 times)

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
A plea for better saving options/ui
« on: August 01, 2020, 11:56:10 PM »

A while ago it was requested to Alex to allow us to make multiple saves of one play session, which lead to the implementation of the "Save Copy" button. While at the time I was pleased with this implementation, I knew it wasn't ideal and now I recently lost about 5 hours of gameplay (PC crash, not the game's fault) which could have been prevented if we had a better system. Simply put, it's too costly to use "Save Copy" all the time due to how heavy the save files can get, so I only use it every once in a while. Thus, when I had this crash the last time I had copy'd was 5 hours prior.

What I plea for is a save system which most PC games have. Basically you'd press "Save", be taken to a list of your current saves, decide to either overwrite a previous file or create a new one and then finally save. The core difference between this system and the current one is the ability to choose which file you'd like to overwrite. In many games I use a pattern with, say, "Save 1", "Save 2" and "Save 3" and then alternate between them so I'd always have a backup. Alex, please consider adding this.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 12:15:41 AM by Cyan Leader »

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: A plea for better saving options/ui
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 01:10:53 AM »

This would also be useful for testing. Even moreso if each save could be named.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 01:31:00 AM »

I agree. While the game is intended to have 1 save file, it is possible to make backup just by copying it, so i dont see why the players life must be harder here. And Jesus... multiple saves will help when another save become corrupted.
Spoiler
[close]

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 01:57:02 AM »

I think you missed the suggestions subforum?

That said, I'd prefer the classic alternating two save system, where the oldest of the two is overwritten each time you save, leaving the formerly newer save as a backup.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 03:07:52 AM »

A simple (for Alex) compromise would be to increase the number of back-ups of saves the game keeps.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 04:38:26 AM »

The worst UI is being forced to type "DELETE" for every last save I want to remove.  It is so bad that the easiest way to remove a stack of saves is to go to the OS and delete from there.

It should be easier to delete saves from the game.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 04:45:25 AM »

A while ago it was requested to Alex to allow us to make multiple saves of one play session, which lead to the implementation of the "Save Copy" button. While at the time I was pleased with this implementation, I knew it wasn't ideal and now I recently lost about 5 hours of gameplay (PC crash, not the game's fault) which could have been prevented if we had a better system. Simply put, it's too costly to use "Save Copy" all the time due to how heavy the save files can get, so I only use it every once in a while. Thus, when I had this crash the last time I had copy'd was 5 hours prior.

Just to confirm, the campaign and descriptor files were corrupted in the Starsector/saves/save_NAMEOFCHARACTER directory, plus the campaign.xml.bak and destriptor.xml.bak files were also corrupted?  That is an unlucky crash if both sets ended up unusable, as that implies the crash was spread over multiple operations (i.e. copy the current save to the .bak files, then save the current state both got corrupted even though they're sequential).  Ideally the original files should still be good and your last save before the crash, or the .bak files would still be good and your last save before the crash.  In the past, the .bak files have saved an iron man run for me when I had a bad save situation.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 07:08:04 AM »

Honestly it sounds like the game should just use a standard "select an existing save to overwrite, or create a new save" system.

caekdaemon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 11:01:47 AM »

If Starsector was to get a new save screen, I'd hope it to be something like the one in Stellaris:

Basically, instead of just having a menu with all the saves in it, saves are divided into profiles based on each campaign, which then contains all the saves for that given campaign. In Starsector terms, that'd mean that when you create a character (let's call them Tom Stardust or something), it'd make a category on the menu for Tom Stardust and then all the saves for him would be under the name Tom Stardust or a name that the player provides for the campaign. All the other save systems work same way as they usually do in games, it's just this layer of categorization on-top would help reduce clutter and make things a little more manageable if you've got multiple games of Starsector on at the same time, plus it'd help with keeping things compartmentalized when different saves have different mods, that sort of thing.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 11:37:27 AM »

(I'll just say that I'm generally on board with it and would like to do something here at some point when/if time allows. Which is a lot of qualifiers, but, well.)

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 12:48:06 AM »

The worst UI is being forced to type "DELETE" for every last save I want to remove.  It is so bad that the easiest way to remove a stack of saves is to go to the OS and delete from there.

It should be easier to delete saves from the game.
I love it! To the point of wishing that more games had it. Having to actually perform a different action breaks me out of my "click click gone" autopilot that's been a bane of many a save game I've wanted to keep.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 08:11:41 PM »

I love it! To the point of wishing that more games had it. Having to actually perform a different action breaks me out of my "click click gone" autopilot that's been a bane of many a save game I've wanted to keep.
Indeed, it is actually a good thing I agree as well.