Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: END GAME MODS  (Read 1949 times)

Vivratelnica

• Ensign
    • View Profile
END GAME MODS
« on: July 27, 2020, 07:20:34 PM »

Hello. I love this game, and would like to see a possible end game result other than what Nex has to offer, which is going through and killing or allying with all other factions. That can be a somewhat grueling and non-compelling feature, which I fully understand is not intended to be the actual end game, but more so a temporary solution.

I am familiar with the development process and I know the time it takes to create content for people, you can dump inordinate amounts of time into something without getting that far...

With all this being said, I'm curious to know why no one has opted to make mods which offer an end game possibility? I see that others have posted their concerns and recommendations for end game but it seems we're leaving this all to the creators. I don't mean to step on their toes and I don't think it would hurt if someone attempted a few end game scenarios.

I have some examples, maybe not that creative but they're there.

END GAME I: In order to end the game you must construct a device which will enable you to get the warp gates back online, or create a warp gate itself so humanity can traverse through different galaxies again. Though in doing this you anger certain factions and they attack you for doing so, [REDACTED] could be included in this. If you successfully create the device you can go to a different generated galaxy, thus ending the game...

END GAME II:

Stage I: You side with the [REDACTED] by going to one of their bases and find a way to communicate with a special AI core, the AI core is only accessible if you destroy their defenses and or do missions for them which are offered from an extremely suspicious and anonymous source, or a source that seems to be working for the [REDACTED].

Stage II: You are given a mission to retrieve ALL alpha AI cores in the possession of  humans and either keep them to yourself or give them to [REDACTED]. Either option gives a different reward, the latter option garners something extraordinary since giving up AI cores is a huge sacrifice.

Stage III: You are to construct a devise, or gather resources/artifacts which would enable the construction of a devise that effectively DESTROYS all life in the galaxy. The devise can be a enormous [REDACTED] factory or simply some kind of cataclysmic 'thing' that just ends it all. All other factions will try to stop you once you get to a certain point, if they haven't already tried killing you for being allied with [REDACTED].

End Game III: ...?

In essence these 'end game' scenarios will take a significant amount of time to accomplish and will be difficult, but the process wont necessarily be excruciating or anticlimactic. Once you reach a certain point you simply win, eliminating the long drawn out process of eliminating the other factions one by one, planet by planet, which, for a player is a very boring and unfulfilling. It is usually most optimal to have the game END at a climactic or critical point where a player feels accomplishment in that moment for succeeding in a difficult task, rather than having them whittle things down repetitively until they, 'rule the galaxy'. Anyways, I'll stop beating a dead horse...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:24:25 PM by Vivratelnica »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: END GAME MODS
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 12:10:02 AM »

The game's sytem to manage quests and dialogues is a pure black hole of madness to work with.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 12:31:36 AM »

Also, pretty good chance that anything you did bash together would be invalidated pretty quickly - as in rendered unplayable and requiring massive revision to function, let alone be fun.

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 07:52:20 AM »

I recommend the Exit button :P

Vivratelnica

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 03:52:49 PM »

That's unfortunate to hear... I'd just like there to be something to wrap this game up at the end that's fun other than just going, "I've done all I can do it's time to quit."

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 11:49:00 PM »

I had an idea of several endgame plot twists, and the game secretly chooses one during creation of the sector. Something like:
1. The gouverment closed the gates and player needs to investigate it.
2. Giant Lovecraft-written elder thing on the background of the hyperspace tries to swallow the sector. Player can pray. Or enjoy it.
3. Aliens (may be from other galaxy or even dimension) invade sector, so gouv-t shut down gates to save some people.
4. Too smart rebellious AI (Omega-core?) controls everything.
5. Some galaxy-scale event separated the sector from Milky Way, so, the gates here just out of range now.
6. The gate has performed invalid operation and will be closed. You can send a report to developer (but it never helps)
Spoiler
[close]

Ced Riggs

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 01:03:54 AM »

An interesting article about endgame [www.engagdet.com] that explores and explains why "endgame" is a blight and a flawed investment of any developer's time. The TL;DR is simple: If your game focuses on endgame, then the journey becomes irrelevant. If your best content is progression gated, you are not only giving a finite content, you are also killing the validity of the path to get there. A better investment is a consistent experience with a flatter power curve that constantly loops.

Vivratelnica

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 06:57:57 AM »

I don't disagree with that Riggs. It's fairly obvious that a great deal of time has been already invested in the actual game, which makes it immensely compelling to play. I'd also say that NO ending is better than a BAD ending.

However, I'd also say that people can create mods which investigate the end game process, which I don't think is a bad thing. That's allowing us to pick and choose what we want. Randomized end game scenarios or alternate endings would definitely be cool and would keep the player invested.

Something that offers a fun, and perhaps risky conflict with consequences that CAN promptly end the game if done right I think is a good way to wrap things up.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 07:01:25 AM »

So why don't you?

Daylight's burning. Make a quarantine project out of it. You have strong opinions, you're invested in the concept, you can make this end game mod you want.