Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Does anybody have an anti-fighter ship design?  (Read 11941 times)

evil713

• Commander
    • View Profile
Does anybody have an anti-fighter ship design?
« on: March 27, 2012, 02:45:27 AM »

Ive been running into the issue of having too many fighters and having it degrade my skills.

So I want to try a new game and play it fighter free, but im still going to have issues with the odd piranna bomber wing.

I ask the community if there is a frigate/distroyer design they have that would be good In a preditory role. So fast, manouverable, able to intercept bomber wings and distroy them, and ai controlled.

Temstar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Does anybody have an anti-fighter ship design?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 02:55:42 AM »

Enforcer - 3 flak cannons (two on either flank, one center), 2 heavy machineguns, 4 swarmer SRM.
You may want to swap out some swarmers for Harpoons if you want ship killing power.

D0vahkiin

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 03:37:25 AM »

Enforcer - 3 flak cannons (two on either flank, one center), 2 heavy machineguns, 4 swarmer SRM.
You may want to swap out some swarmers for Harpoons if you want ship killing power.

Swarmers are rather useless if you already have 3 flak cannons, although they provide some range, usually fighters can evade missiles shot from such a distance.

VikingHaag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 04:15:18 AM »

Tempest, with 1 heavy blaster and 1 heavy burst laser.
Shoots down missiles and fighters so fast it's not even funny.
The blaster is almost a 1 shot kill, if they are clumped togheter, 2 shots can kill 2 fighters due to blast radius.
The heavy burst on autofire will shoot down 1-2 missiles at time, and kills fighters coming from the side/rear.
I'm dead serious, unless you take a salamander to the tail, in which case you're losing or you're really dumb, the tempest in the perfect AA platform, fast, nimble and able to outrun many of it's targets. It's too funny to chase fighter wings and shoot them down when usually they all retreat.

Dreyven

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 05:21:18 AM »

Any ship with a lot of tach lasers deals well with bombers and fighters, they are cheap and provide a constant pressure...
i would suggest some wolf's...if you want medusa's

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 06:22:06 AM »

Medusa, seven tac lasers, integrated targeting unit and integrated point defence AI. (Also two rail guns for kicks.)

Eagle, ITU, triple grav beams, four PD lasers and a burst PD on the front.

Onslaught. ITU, advanced gryos and armoured turrets, three flak cannons - back corners and top - two heavy MGs at the rear, and all small slots filled with light MGs. Three Pilums, which act a lot like minefields to fighters. In this case the AI thinks I can't beat fighters. I hardly take a scratch unless I forget to shield an incoming Piranha wing, but the auto-complete thinks I lose.
It's fun. I'm currently running around in this Onslaught solo, pirate fleets think they can take me on, so I don't have to chase them. They're wrong.

Fighters hate all of them.

Piranhas are nasty, though. Two wings can take down pretty much anything unless you shield, and even then it is hell on the shield.

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 12:18:19 PM »

Since the latest patch...I've been using a Wolf with Burst PD Lasers, Swarm Missiles, and Extended Magazines.  It can unleash hell for a few seconds on those fighters with the Burst Lasers, then follow up with missiles.

IMO, Tactical Lasers do their damage way too slow to be effective anti-fighter.  Unless you're literally keeping pace with them, they'll outrun your beam range.

The same is true of Burst Lasers, but Burst Lasers do all their damage in a few seconds, not a slow over-time damage.

Still, Flak is the king.

Cryten

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 02:56:52 PM »

Since no ones mentioned it, a good early game fighter hunters useful for capture point and recon assignments is the bog standard lasher fitter with chainguns in its two frontal mounts and the frontal turret. Give it some vulcans in teh rear arcs to kill missiles and you have yourself one nastly little bee that will happily kill any non thunder fighter wing for you solo. Also I find harpoons are better fighter killers then swarmers because of thier speed since most fighters run away from missile fire in this patch.

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 03:48:27 PM »

Will Thunder wings use their harpoons on fighters? It would be great if they did.

There's a tradeoff with the swarmer, as you get 15 pairs of swarmers for 4 OP instead of 3 harpoons for 5.

evil713

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 04:03:27 PM »

Will Thunder wings use their harpoons on fighters? It would be great if they did.

There's a tradeoff with the swarmer, as you get 15 pairs of swarmers for 4 OP instead of 3 harpoons for 5.

thunders have swarmers for anti-fighter. harpoon launch seems twitchie to me. they dont wait for a flux overload and there usually chasing a small fast ship. if your head on you could try to fake them out of there missles by popping your shield.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 04:59:42 PM »

Tempest with:
Graviton beam + Pulse laser
Augmented engines + Auxiliary thrusters + Advanced optics + Integrated targeting unit + Advanced turret gyros + Insulated engine assembly

combined with

Wolf
Graviton beam + 3 Tactical lasers
Augmented engines + Auxiliary thrusters + Advanced optics + Integrated targeting unit + Advanced turret gyros + Insulated engine assembly

somehow I just never fear anything from destroyer to anything smaller with these guys in my fleet.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 06:19:44 PM »

The blaster is almost a 1 shot kill, if they are clumped togheter, 2 shots can kill 2 fighters due to blast radius.

The heavy blaster has a blast radius :o?
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 07:05:57 PM »

Ive been running into the issue of having too many fighters and having it degrade my skills.

So I want to try a new game and play it fighter free, but im still going to have issues with the odd piranna bomber wing.

I ask the community if there is a frigate/distroyer design they have that would be good In a preditory role. So fast, manouverable, able to intercept bomber wings and distroy them, and ai controlled.

are you using any mods
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 10:03:43 PM »

Tempest and Wolf classes make the best Frigates for fighter-hunting for a couple reasons:

1) They're fast.
2) They have turrets for their main weaponry.
3) They have good shields

Slap Augmented Engines on them and they can usually catch and kill anything short of a Thunder Wing.  Just watch out for Broadswords.  They can overload you, shred your armor, and kill you with missiles.

VikingHaag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 03:19:23 AM »

The heavy blaster has a blast radius :o?

In .50 it had 100% sure, i'm not using many tempests atm so it may have changed in .51a.
I think the size of the projectile may just hit 2 very close figters damaging both, so it may not have/had one at all and i just got some lucky shots.
Pages: [1] 2 3