Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Industry: softcap, shutdowns and automation (+increased growth)  (Read 945 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Industry cap is still determined by planet size but it is soft cap and can be exceeded.
If the cap is exceeded, each industry has a 25*(total industries - industry cap)% chance of suffering disruption at end of a month.

Shutdown and Automated industries don't toward total industries.
Shutdown option sets (not reduce, doesn't stack with AI Cores and skills) the upkeep of an industry to 20% of it's normal value and prevents it from doing anything.

Automate option increases the upkeep of an industry by 50% and increases the chances of being targeted by pathers but lets it keep running normally.

Alternate industry automation mechanic: automation doesn't increase upkeep but requires Advanced Industrial Robots dropped from and only from Ruins, Tri-Tachyon core planets, Orbitals and [REDACTED] stations.

One good thing planets get from exceeding the industry cap is increased growth from people moving to places with high demand for labor. Get 20*(total industries - industry cap) growth points. Shutdown and Automated industries doesn't affect this either.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 10:48:31 PM by SonnaBanana »
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Industry: softcap, shutdowns and automation.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 08:03:58 AM »

Interesting idea.  I'm a fan of soft caps with consequences rather than hard restrictions on things.

Hansag

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 07:00:21 AM »

Maybe have something like "Administrative Capacity" on a colony, based on its infrastructure and population as is now, but possible to "upgrade" or build dedicated "Administration" facilities that can help reduce the Stability, Accessibility and or Productivity penalties of having more than one or two industries.

Tiers (Planet - One could imagine something similar for Stations if they become a thing):
Operations (Level 0) - Set up together with an outpost or colony. Can handle 1 industry and up to size 4 population without penalties
Development Board (Level 1) - Can handle 2-3 Industries and 6 population without penalties.
Administration (Level 2) - Can handle 4-5 Industries and 7+ population without penalties.

Penalties
Stability -4 from Mismanagement per Population level above what it can handle
Accessibility -10% from Mismanagement per Population level above what it can handle
Accessibility -10% from Mismanagement per Industry above what it can handle
Productivity -1 Units from Mismanagement per Population above what it can handle (ends up on black market)
Productivity -1 Units from Mismanagement per Industry above what it can handle (ends up on black market)

Random Events
Not having enough "Administrative Capacity", one could imagine that events like the below would fire of:
- Unrest (Lowers stability)
- Black market expands (Less income and produced goods)
- Red Tape (Increased Costs)
- Bureaucratic Speed (Lowers population growth)
- Logistics Issues (Lowers Accessibility)

While having enough would cause:
- Solves any of the above
- Refugee resettlement (Removes Refugee penalty - Refugees: Population Growth, but lowers stability and increases cost of Population and Infrastructure - Refugees requires that there is unrest on any other planet, though this could be a whole new mechanic)
- Black market disrupted (lowers goods on said market)

Hansag

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 10:38:54 AM »

Attaching a nanoforge to Heavy Industry is kinda like an "automation" buff though. Would have been interesting if one could do that to Light Industry as well.

In my current playthrough, I have come across 6 Pristine Nanoforges, and I don't know what to do with all of them (My 7 colonies are level 8 or 9 and adding €1.5M every month, so no reason to sell them.)

One thing that would be nice would be to deactivate an industry. Not so much tear it down as just having it stop working (maybe take a week for it to get up and running again)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 05:37:25 PM »

Attaching a nanoforge to Heavy Industry is kinda like an "automation" buff though. Would have been interesting if one could do that to Light Industry as well.
The automation option doesn't buff an industry at all.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Industry: softcap, shutdowns and automation (+increased growth)
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 10:49:02 PM »

Updated suggestion with increased growth for exceeding cap.