Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: How to make animated ships to work in ship editor and someother questions.  (Read 1191 times)

TastyPimple

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hello there to Everyone!

This will be my first post and before all things, I want to say thankyou for the developers for making such a great game and to you guys for being a awesome and helpful community.

I started to work on mods for 3-4 months now, and with the extensive guides and reverse engineering mods like the SCY, i learned a lot about photoshop, spriting, animations, how to edit .json files, some very basic coding and others. The first working mod I created is a kitbash gallery but i decided to utilize my newfound knowledge and started to make a mod with completely custom sprited ships. But I came to a problem.

My frame animated ship can not be imported into the ship editor as it only sees .png files. I understand that I have to use decorative weapons for additional animations like blinkers but I don't know how to time those or make them move etc.

Here it is the ship:

Spoiler
[close]

Also, is it possible that this requires scripting? This is where my basic coding ends basicly  :-[ Same goes for hullmods too.

Thank you for anyone who helps me out on this one!

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile

I don't know much about what you are asking, myself, but this may prove useful:

Animation Tutorial

TastyPimple

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Yes, I know about it, learned a lot there, but unfortunately it's not mentioning anything about importing the animated ship and working with it, or how to make it work with decorative weapons etc :) But thank you nonetheless!

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile

As long as your ship stays the same dimensions, I think you could get away with using a single frame to set everything up, then just repointing the image manually?

TastyPimple

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Yes, it is animated in that way in photoshop. The problem is I can't import it into ship editor as it only opens png files. So I'm stuck with the sprite. That's why I was thinking about the decorative weapons but I didn't saw any option there to change the time of the animation or making them move on the sprite etc. SCY mod did it so well with the Siren ship but even when I looked in to it, I didn't saw anything that could help me with it, as a lot of them are in png and can't figure it out, how he made the animation working there.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile

The game uses png sequences as shown with the Assault Chaingun, the Ion Pulser or the Storm Needler.

TastyPimple

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I see! Now I know what to use :D But how the ship editor will know about the sequence? :O Also, thank you very much for clarifying it!

TastyPimple

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I suddenly realised you are the maker of SCY and the other mods! Thank you for coming here and helping me out! Your animation tutorial helped me a lot with photoshop and I learnt a lot of new things! :)

TastyPimple

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Oh and now I understand it! Thank you very much! I will write again if I have some problems. :)