Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What if the Onslaught was a real battleship?  (Read 6782 times)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What if the Onslaught was a real battleship?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2020, 07:29:16 AM »

Tbf the sim variants aren't that great imo, but I get where you're coming from. Well then definitely you could say the Onslaught underperforms as a battleship, even if its the same DP cost as Conquest.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2020, 07:33:23 AM »

Tbf the sim variants aren't that great imo, but I get where you're coming from. Well then definitely you could say the Onslaught underperforms as a battleship, even if its the same DP cost as Conquest.
It may be true Onslaughts are badly equipped, but that does not matter if that is what the player fights in the game we are given.  The best people can do is bug Alex to make better loadouts.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2020, 12:36:26 PM »

I don't think the Onslaught is in a bad place considering what it is: a Low-Tech battleship, with all the pros/cons of that school of thought. If it needs anything, I say double-down on its ability to face tank. Not just armor (bump it another 250?) but the hull itself should be more difficult to penetrate. Give it a "Ultra-Durable Hull" hullmod that doubles the minimum armor value of hull to 10%, from 5%. Given other hullmods and skills, an Onslaught would be near-invulnerable to low-caliber weaponry, which is kind of the point for a true battleship.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2020, 02:14:18 PM »

@FooF

That's a neat idea. I like that and it keeps it thematic.

For those struggling with flux stats, I actually put medium weapons in the large weapon slots and small weapons in the medium weapon slots (except Flak because that's flux cheap) and it actually gives the Onslaught a fairly tanky shield. DTC or ITU is a must, of course, and the extra OP can go into defensive hullmods or caps/vents.

These weapons support its primaries (TPCs) and missile batteries better than large weapons, imo, without making it as vulnerable to flanks. The flux efficiency is super great for dealing with swarms of smaller units too. Anyway just a thought.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2020, 03:07:51 PM »

Onslaught probably benefits the most out of all ships from skills. Evasive Action 1 in particular has a disproportionate effect because the Onslaught has to face particular directions to optimize its weapons, system, and PD.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2020, 09:24:00 PM »

Well...onslaught benefits a lot from stat skills because it’s kind of a stat stick.

But mainly it benefits from piloting. The onslaught doesn’t need to focus its TPC to wreck ships, and they can even be counter productive. If you have HE and Kin on the ship then the TPC is less valuable than firing either given the targets shields are up/down. And since the “worst” large HE is 2:1 at 240 pen vs armor while the TPC is 1:1 at 250...  there are few situations you really want to be firing it if your other guns are in range

The thing that the onslaught has trouble doing is leveraging its armor with current AI. If you have armored turrets and an auto-repair the onslaught is able to take shots off its armor far better than most ships. This lets it flux dump effectively. (Still not going to beat a paragon without skills but does far better vs other ships)

But the AI doesn’t effectively do this because it always wants to have its shields up. Thus it doesn’t get to the point where it could effectively dump until its out of flux to do so... 

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2020, 11:42:55 PM »

The thing that the onslaught has trouble doing is leveraging its armor with current AI.

Yeah, AI is horrible at that.
Whole low tech gameplay rotates around purposefully trading armor for flux advantage (when competently executed by player). But AI either defaults to 'always shields up until high flux' or randomly drops shield while at low flux and there is nothing to be gained from taking armor/hull damage.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2020, 12:06:08 AM »

Yea. As an example. A player piloted skillless onslaught that has heavy armor, armored weapon mounts, and automated repair unit(with 2x HAG, and 3 HN's on the heavy side and PD/AC's on the weak side/back) will beat a "stock"* onslaught without taking any hull damage so long as it doesn't raise its shields. Edit: with skills its possible to make this onslaught a LOT more tanky because you can have both sides be strong sides (and/or close to it). And so you can use the right side until you start to take damage and then swap to the left side to finish the battle.

*might not actually be stock since i have the 2nd wave set that gives enemies better default loadouts
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 12:22:20 AM by Goumindong »

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2020, 12:27:45 AM »

I tend to rely on it's TPC's with the manoeuvring mod and officers to have them focus on enemy capitals/carriers and hound them across the map.

They aren't great vs armour or shields, but with their range and by constantly pressuring the enemy, catching them with burn drive, they will grind them to down and kill them. (Remnant Radiants can't truly escape two Onslaughts on an execution order, which is hilarious!)

I use accompanying Legions, or secondary guns, to deal with the rest of the enemy fleet.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2020, 06:04:57 AM »

TPCs are adequate, if not optimal, at anti-armor when every other significant gun that points directly ahead is a needler.  I use TPCs as anti-armor when I cannot rely on Devastators (or missiles) to break armor.

There is one other (occasionally) useful role Onslaught is good at:  troop carrier.  It (and Legion) can haul significantly more extra personnel than other capitals, and most other ships for that matter.  The last time I brought thousands of marines to factions' capital worlds to steal items from Sindria, I did not bother to bring Valkyries or Colossus 3 (because they do not bring enough marine power, despite Ground Support Package), and I did not want to build or bring Starliners.  Instead, I stuffed my fleet with many Onslaughts like 250k+ named bounties do and spammed them in fights.  Onslaught can brawl and bring lots of marines to raid planets.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2020, 06:07:51 AM »

You'd figure that that kind of crew capacity might be a special mod, rather then just a built in stat. To at least better advertise it as a part of the ship.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2020, 06:14:11 AM »

You'd figure that that kind of crew capacity might be a special mod, rather then just a built in stat. To at least better advertise it as a part of the ship.
Maybe give Onslaught and Legion Ground Support Package to double down on being good raiders (for a single ship slot).

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2020, 06:48:37 AM »

Maybe give Onslaught and Legion Ground Support Package to double down on being good raiders (for a single ship slot).

Rather "Large Ground Support Package" or make original Ground Support Package to grade with hullsize.

+100 raid strength for cap isn't enough, IMO.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2020, 09:32:27 AM »

I agree the ground support package in its current state would be very underwhelming on a capital ship. I think I might be a bit biased by Nex which I think generally increases the average defense rating of planets, but I find that I frequently need a few thousand marines to raid, and ones hundred is not really making a big difference.

martin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2020, 01:48:16 PM »

I mean you could call it a glass cannon battleship but I don't know if that would be an oxymoron.

Such thing were refered to as "battlecruisers". They are considered a failed concept, but were mostly sunk fpr stupid reasons such as some genius ordering the underarmored ships to store munition in the turrets so the guns could be reloaded faster.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5