Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: If better filters or a search option are possible to implement  (Read 896 times)

AHandyDandyHotDog

• Ensign
    • View Profile

New member of the forum, and I just wanted to know if there could be a way to implement some sort of search function/ filter for the various lists and inventories. For example, when looking for a specific type of planet, such as one with abundant resources or one under hegemony control.
 I know nothing about coding, so I don't know if this would be difficult to implement, but I think this kind of feature would be a very good quality of life addition; when I am playing, it is the one feature that I feel is really missing.
If I could, I would try to add it myself, but again I know nothing about codding. I am willing to learn, though, if this is something an amateur could possibly do.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: If better filters or a search option are possible to implement
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 09:51:25 AM »

Welcome to the forum! This is also something I've found myself wanting at times, especially when I have a couple of faction mods enabled for weapon/fighter selection.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 09:54:05 AM »

1. Frequently made suggestion.

2. In the "intel" screen there are "planets" tab, that allow to sort object by type, accessibility and some other parameters, but not resources, alas.

P.S. ya! welcome to the forum x2!
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

AHandyDandyHotDog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 11:29:22 AM »

Thank you guys, this games super fun and I wanna find any way I can to try and make it better in some way.

Sorry, I looked through the suggestions quickly and must not have seen them. There are filters that I forgot to mention, but they could be better, specifically some sort of search function for tags and item names. Ill search around and see if I can't make it my self somehow, though I am still an amateur.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 11:36:18 AM »

Well, it not that bad deed in repeated suggestions*. Especially if it is good. Certain reminder for how demanded it is.

*unless you made same suggestion twice in a same day, cos' you are so drunk to forgot you already suggested it**.

**Here I talk mostly about myself.  :(
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 11:53:29 AM »

There's no easy way for a mod to get at this stuff, by the way, so I wouldn't spend too much time looking! The best bet would probably be an alternate UI using a custom interaction dialog or intel item, but that's... fairly involved.

(I'll keep this in mind, btw. Not something that's been my focus, but... I wonder if adding intel-style tags to the planet list wouldn't work better than a search bar. Hmm.)

AHandyDandyHotDog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 03:49:29 PM »

Thanks Alex! This community sure is welcoming. Definitely gonna try modding for this game anyway, always good to learn new skills.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 03:51:55 PM by AHandyDandyHotDog »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 04:44:57 PM »

:)

If you haven't already found it, this page is a good resource for modding in ships: https://starsector.fandom.com/wiki/Intro_to_Modding

Have fun!