Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Artillery  (Read 3382 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Artillery
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2020, 05:30:37 AM »

Paragon as Goumindong mentioned works for the player, and it looks funny.  Just do not give to your AI, they will not be so restrained.  Alternating on the HVDs is critical.  (AI will eventually turn them into pseudo-linked and there goes zero-flux.)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2020, 11:34:07 AM »

For destroyer scale combat this is exactly what the Falcon does. It is actually faster than Sunders and Hammerheads, and can almost keep up with Medusa's and Shrikes (and if the shrikes are facing it and not burning away, it can catch them), while having cruiser grade DTC/ITU. Its lower DPS than a Hammerhead or Sunder, but will win every time vs them due to range + speed.

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2020, 07:23:48 PM »

Paragon as Goumindong mentioned works for the player, and it looks funny.  Just do not give to your AI, they will not be so restrained.  Alternating on the HVDs is critical.  (AI will eventually turn them into pseudo-linked and there goes zero-flux.)

Ah. Gotcha.

Here is my fit. Sorry it isn't vanilla but I tried to b faithful
Paragon fitting https://i.imgur.com/A1t5xNd.png

Here is my alternate - Staple  https://i.imgur.com/Er2akrI.png + https://i.imgur.com/Y31N02a.png

(Copy link and paste to browser to get full suzed)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:25:23 PM by majorfreak »

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2020, 08:00:02 PM »

Ah. Gotcha.

Here is my fit. Sorry it isn't vanilla but I tried to b faithful
Paragon fitting https://i.imgur.com/A1t5xNd.png

Here is my alternate - Staple  https://i.imgur.com/Er2akrI.png + https://i.imgur.com/Y31N02a.png

(Copy link and paste to browser to get full suzed)

Get rid of burst PD. Especially large ones. IMO, having an advanced optics on Paragon is a perversion. But if you have it - the more reasons for using LRPD and  PDL, not burst ones. PLUS non-burst beams can give you better ability to sustain 0-flux boost. Also, if your specialization is long range - more graviton and tacs.

If my priority was speed+range I would just leave more empty mounts. That would give ability to spent some more OP for flux distributor and shields hullmods. As your specialization is beams (again - perversion) having so many capacitors is less valuable, than shield upkeep, as you are probably already flux-neutral, and lower shield upkeep gives you additional ability to fire main front guns without loosing the shields, absorbing some damage and keeping 0-flux bonus at the same time. My best advice: 1. shield conversion - front (decrease shield upkeep even more at the cost of being frontal) 2. Hardened shields + defensive systems skill (decrease damage taken, so minor (even hard flux) damage will be dissipated and will not break 0-flux). 3. Solar shielding (useful mostly against remnants and for stormriding. If you are fan of stormriding it will save you more supplies for repairs, than efficiency overhaul potentially able to save on maintenance.)
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2020, 08:19:36 PM »

Roger that.
No bursts. Check
Shield hullmods. Check

I'll see how that fairs, and I'll b careful with the HVD.

Definitely like that modded BS of mine tho. I'll see how the two work vs remnants

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2020, 09:15:45 PM »

Well... Something like this for perverted AO Paragon:

Perverted Paragon

Have some issues on HVD constant firing, even manual controlled alternating. Perhaps removing solar shielding and adding some more caps would help, but not much.
[close]

Stupid Paragon

Well, yeah, its bad, but not that bad I predicted. It can force enemy Paragon to suicide through fortress shield...
[close]

EDIT: I think I found optimum:
Perverted Paragon Mk2

Much better constant HVD firing with shields and 0-flux.
[close]

EDIT2: If you are modded, cheap SWP mini-blaster can help.
Perverted Paragon Mk3, SWP Edition

PD are crappy, but mighty combined forward beam can do decent PD in "accidental style"
[close]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 09:44:24 PM by Mondaymonkey »

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2020, 11:06:56 AM »

If you're gonna use advanced optics on a paragon, you might as well use tach lances...

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2020, 11:12:27 AM »

I find that TL and HIL are roughly equivalent really.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2020, 11:25:47 AM »

Probably for the AI, but for the player, TL can have a lot more impact in my experience. Big bursts of damage can push back enemy ships to save your own, you can instantly delete most destroyers and frigates before they can run away, and you can sneak in damage around shields more effectively.

edit: specifically referring to 4x TL paragon. In other contexts, TL is definitely not quite as powerful and more comparable to HIL.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2020, 11:29:41 AM »

Yeah I mean in a more conventional setting. Not that I'd user a 4 TL Paragon anyway as if I'm bringing one of those ships, it's to fight something big and scary and those usually have very powerful shields.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2020, 11:40:16 AM »

Not really. HIL is way better against targets with bad (or no) shields and can constant pressure, and tach (please do not use TL as tacs have same acronym) are better against advanced shields due to large burst strike. That is for AI.

In player's hand they are just do different roles. HIL is good in armor melting if some hull is not covered with shields, while tachs are for surging or crude flux overwhelming. You can use HIL with 0-flux, which is unavailable for tach, but tachs can be used for mighty long-range strike with fast venting after. BTW in player's hands 2-tach + 2-plasma venting abusing is damn good, but requires skills and some luck, as it is a risky build.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2020, 11:56:11 AM »

Tachyon lances are great on Paragon because they exploit AI faults more easily.  Near hitscan and burst damage, great for sideswiping AI that suddenly drops shields for no reason.

Two plasma and two lance serve my Paragons well when fighting Radiants.  Radiants often take some damage after they skim away from plasma range because lances hit them.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2020, 12:16:02 PM »

Radiants often take some damage after they skim away from plasma range because lances hit them.

Yeah, I know how it feels!

But this is slow process. If you have ally ship or fighters attacking same radiant you do, it will force it to make another AI mistake - redirecting shield, trying to cover hull from more than one attack directions. That usually gives player opportunity to hit hull's edge. And here where HIL is faster radiant killer. But in the duels - yes tachs are just better against radiant. But both are not good without plasma or autopulse.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2020, 11:50:12 AM »

You know... I forgot a ship.  The gryphon.

I think the gryphon is a bit hard to pilot as an artillery ship but it does work. Its hard to pilot because knowing when to fire missiles is a it of guess work. But missiles are hella strong, have absolutely obscene range, and don’t cost Flux so do not interfere with the Helmsmanship bonuses.

You won’t be fast enough to outrun something trying to kill you but you will be fast enough to outrun things trying to kill you if you have a line of ships in front of you. And you can fire over that line of ships.

To make this work you want/need 4-5 combat skills only.

Absolutely necessary:
Helmsmanship 3: this gives you +50 speed.
Missile specialization 3: +25% missile range (result of missile speed), +50% missile HP, +25% missile damage

Very good:
Ordinance expertise 3: + 15% missile damage
Target analysis: +15% dmg to shields, +50% hit strength vs armor (about 20% at the top end of effectiveness)

Good:
Advanced Countermeasures 3: +50% dmg to fighters and missiles

Still provides value but not all that much:
Combat Endurance 3: +5% dmg, more CR.
Impact mitigation 3:  free base armor, less armor damage.

Yes ordinance expertise says “weapons” but this includes missiles. All these damage bonuses stack and makes missiles really really strong.

Harpoons start out at 750 HE damage. With all the skills including +15% CR from command you’re at 1185 explosive dmg with 3550 hit strength vs armor. A MIRV will be doing 8700 HE dmg @ 2370 hit strength.

You can carry 40 MIRV, 48 Harpoons, and other small missiles or 48 more harpoons.

The reason this is difficult is because targeting ships about to overload is not terribly easy and you have to rely on your allied ships to make them overload. The AI is really good at doing this because it can “see” the entire battle at the same time. Even if its not good at making targeting decisions the gryphon has enough missiles that doesn’t really matter.

The reason Armor tanking skills are nice is because you’re going to want IPDAI and Vulcans on your edge. Fighters do very little dmg to armor and these will cut it by even more while also killing them faster. If you raise your shields you will have to vent before regaining 1% flux but if you don’t you will just keep shooting the Vulcans and clean out fighters.
Pages: 1 [2]