Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone else check the website everyday??  (Read 1946 times)

lookatthesky

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Anyone else check the website everyday??
« on: July 08, 2020, 10:54:33 AM »

Every update I seem to have a cycle where I download and play it for all it's worth until I've exhausted all the content and destroying ships doesn't feel fun anymore then I move on until the next update. Recently I've been checking the website twice daily hoping for a new update or blog post since it's summer and I don't really have much else to do. Does anyone else check the website like this or am I alone?

p.s. Don't take this thread as bashing the update system and lack of delivery dates. I understand that programming an indie game isn't a linear task and sometimes it just takes longer for Alex to figure stuff out or feel satisfied with it so there would be no use adding the pressure of arbitrary update deadlines on top of that.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else check the website everyday??
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 11:06:08 AM »

Do not take it as an insult, I suspect that I have already read the posts on this forum, designed in your style...

You may consider me as paranoid.

Hm... paranoid. Memories...
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 11:08:26 AM »

I just post on the forum. There's probably long ways still until the next update, but I don't have to check for it, if the news bar at the top is just going to spell it out for me.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 11:44:21 AM »

I've got the discord muted except for the announcements channel so if I see a new message I know there's likely something i'll want to check out.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 11:53:58 AM »

Iron Man is more appropriate to how I feel about expeditions.  I eventually go for total core kill for "vengence from the grave..." after getting fed up with expedition spam.

Mob Rules (when Dio was part of Black Sabbath) is when I invade a red system to kill Remnants for cores and other loot.  It feels much like being the villains in the Taarna story in the Heavy Metal movie, when Mob Rules is played as part of the soundtrack as the villains kill everyone and wreck the city they invade.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 12:00:25 PM »

Code
Heavy Metal movie

*Hard manly tear was drop*

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 12:15:55 PM »

Not the website specifically but I come here every day and see if there's anything new on Alex's twitter (he hasn't posted anything in a while so that gives me false hope, or maybe he's just working on super secret stuff he doesn't want to share). One thing I keep doing is to play a few runs after each update but when I have the slightest hunch a new version may come up, I immediately tell myself not to play the game just so I don't get burned out in a bad time when the updates comes. And since we have no idea what that time will be you can already guess I usually spend half a year holding back my urges just so I can be set free on patch day.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 12:23:13 PM »

BTW, I throw dices every day, asking them to determine probability of some kind of event. Today I ask to determine probability of SS update in next 10 days.

And it's 24/24 (roughly 4*6).

They are inaccurate sometimes, but usually works.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 12:41:31 PM »

Every update I seem to have a cycle where I download and play it for all it's worth until I've exhausted all the content and destroying ships doesn't feel fun anymore then I move on until the next update. Recently I've been checking the website twice daily hoping for a new update or blog post since it's summer and I don't really have much else to do. Does anyone else check the website like this or am I alone?

p.s. Don't take this thread as bashing the update system and lack of delivery dates. I understand that programming an indie game isn't a linear task and sometimes it just takes longer for Alex to figure stuff out or feel satisfied with it so there would be no use adding the pressure of arbitrary update deadlines on top of that.

Just wanted to say hi, and welcome to the forum :)

(... now, back to work ...)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 02:12:10 PM »

I check everyday both to support my mod, help new modders, and I just really like discussing the game! Best purchase of my life. ;D

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 02:57:18 PM »

I've made peace with the fact that the update is most definitely not coming soon, but I still check way more often than I should for a blog post. They're reassuring, always a super fun read, and build some serious hype.

(would even love something lore-related at this point. It would fit given the context of this coming update without revealing the stuff Alex wants to keep under wraps).

Dread Pirate Robots

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 05:30:00 PM »

Not the website specifically but I come here every day and see if there's anything new on Alex's twitter (he hasn't posted anything in a while so that gives me false hope, or maybe he's just working on super secret stuff he doesn't want to share). One thing I keep doing is to play a few runs after each update but when I have the slightest hunch a new version may come up, I immediately tell myself not to play the game just so I don't get burned out in a bad time when the updates comes. And since we have no idea what that time will be you can already guess I usually spend half a year holding back my urges just so I can be set free on patch day.

Yeah I do the exact same thing. I ended up not playing Mount & Blade: Warband for like 5 years because of this!

lookatthesky

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 06:34:40 PM »

I've got the discord muted except for the announcements channel so if I see a new message I know there's likely something i'll want to check out.
Nice strategy!

lookatthesky

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2020, 06:37:28 PM »

I check everyday both to support my mod, help new modders, and I just really like discussing the game! Best purchase of my life. ;D

I guess modding is a good way to keep your interest high. I concur with your economic assessment though, I don't think any other game has paid off as much as this one in time to money although there isn't a playtime counter to know for sure... which might be a blessing in disguise.

lookatthesky

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2020, 06:46:29 PM »

Unfortunately in the past I've missed the patch day a few times. Although it would be more surprising if I hadn't since I bought the game in 2012. But I disagree with you as it usually feels like a new game when an update drops so I don't really feel burned out on the new version if I've been playing the old one.
Pages: [1] 2