Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do you get goods to a pirate in a hegemony planet  (Read 2233 times)

gameslayer404

• Ensign
    • View Profile
How do you get goods to a pirate in a hegemony planet
« on: July 05, 2020, 03:11:10 PM »

I created an account just to ask this. I literally can't find anything at all that talks about this, maybe i'm just not using the right keywords?

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Re: How do you get goods to a pirate in a hegemony planet
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 03:36:01 PM »

You'll also need your transponder to be off, and not be the target of any nearby patrols.

gameslayer404

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 03:49:56 PM »

The thing is if I turn my transponder off i'll immediately get targeted by a patrol fleet. Then the pirate won't even accept when I contact her in the directory. I've actually just found this post on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/starsector/comments/a3w4a5/new_player_bought_a_buttload_of_machinery_to/

which is basically my problem (including the machinery) but none of the answers to that works. If I turn my transponder off after I go far away and into an asteroid field, and go dark when I start to get close to it. They just automatically see me. If I don't turn my transponder off then the pirate won't take it.

Sharp

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 04:00:17 PM »

This is the challenge, you need to sneak in and not be detected by a patrol, use a smaller fleet which will lower your sensor profile. Or if the task is too hard you may have to abandon the mission and take the reputation hit.

gameslayer404

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 04:04:14 PM »

Could I store away my ships for a little while just for this mission? I have a medium sized fleet, and i'm trying to get into ragnar station.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 04:07:29 PM »

Just in case you don't know, the circles you see centered on other fleets are their sensor radius. This radius will go down when your own sensor profile is smaller. If you are inside these circles when you turn your transponder off, they will chase you for turning it off. If you get inside these circles with your transponder off, they will chase you. If you turn your transponder 'on' and you suddenly appear in their scanners, they will chase you (because you were obvious just previously running dark).

Maybe the sensor profile of your fleet is just too high. Some things you can do: Install militarized subsystems on your civilian craft to halve their sensor profile (it also boosts their burn by 1, making it absolutely essential for most of the game). Install insulated engine assembly on your ships to halve their sensor profile. Leave ships with "loud" D mods in storage for the delivery.

You can also do things like go far away from the planet with your transponder off, then do a sensor burst: you will show up on their sensors and they will leave to chase you, drawing them away from the station. Go sideways, then dodge around them and go in.

However, if the patrols you are trying to dodge are both faster than you and you have a bad sensor profile... good luck!

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 04:11:54 PM »

You can put ships in storage at any station for a monthly fee, and you can do it for free at your own colonies or at some abandoned stations.

Even if your fleet is small though, the sensor profile is only based on the top 5 ships, so you have to make sure none of the ships have bad sensor profiles or they will ruin your stealth.

gameslayer404

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 04:12:26 PM »

Just in case you don't know, the circles you see centered on other fleets are their sensor radius. This radius will go down when your own sensor profile is smaller. If you are inside these circles when you turn your transponder off, they will chase you for turning it off. If you get inside these circles with your transponder off, they will chase you. If you turn your transponder 'on' and you suddenly appear in their scanners, they will chase you (because you were obvious just previously running dark).

Maybe the sensor profile of your fleet is just too high. Some things you can do: Install militarized subsystems on your civilian craft to halve their sensor profile (it also boosts their burn by 1, making it absolutely essential for most of the game). Install insulated engine assembly on your ships to halve their sensor profile. Leave ships with "loud" D mods in storage for the delivery.

You can also do things like go far away from the planet with your transponder off, then do a sensor burst: you will show up on their sensors and they will leave to chase you, drawing them away from the station. Go sideways, then dodge around them and go in.

However, if the patrols you are trying to dodge are both faster than you and you have a bad sensor profile... good luck!

The literal circles surrounding their ships? Isn't that the drive bubble that asteroids hit (on a side note what do asteroids do? I've never actually had any problems with them.) As they are definitely not that close to me. I do not know about the circles you are talking about if not.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 04:31:42 PM »

The literal circles surrounding their ships? Isn't that the drive bubble that asteroids hit (on a side note what do asteroids do? I've never actually had any problems with them.) As they are definitely not that close to me. I do not know about the circles you are talking about if not.

If you aren't seeing them it most likely means your sensor profile is very high.

gameslayer404

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 04:35:12 PM »

actually I think I know what you're talking about now. I just stored in all but my most stealthy ships, and that one ring of things that you enter into when you get near a planet has gotten significantly smaller, I almost barely got through, but then one of the patrol ships just decided to go off into space.

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 04:56:48 PM »

If your sensors skill is at least 2 you can sneak in a full Paragon fleet though those blind Hegemony Patrols.

gameslayer404

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 05:10:11 PM »

Okay I just barely did it

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2020, 05:11:46 PM »

Congrats! Sensors and all of the ways to sneak is a tricky system, but once I got used to it I found it to be really fun.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2020, 09:33:26 PM »

If your sensors skill is at least 2 you can sneak in a full Paragon fleet though those blind Hegemony Patrols.

Paragons??? Dude, IIRC Atlas and Prometheus has a bigger sensor profile, being a civilian ship. Having sensor skills 2 + "going dark" it is 100% possible to sneak a whole prometheus/atlas fleet. Sometimes I think sensors 2 is way too powerful.

Many people underestimate that skill, but it literally makes most of a patrols of any faction almost blind (if no highres sensors). Might be sometimes boring to fly on a burn of 2, tho'.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.
Pages: [1] 2