Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The most imba weapon?  (Read 4334 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The most imba weapon?
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2020, 12:11:49 PM »

I don't even know about the Thumper. Does it really shred hull compared to a Heavy Mortar?
It does when Thumper hits because shots are very fast (or very hard to see and try to dodge if the ship I am piloting is the target), while Mortar and Arbalest miss because they are slow and mildly inaccurate.  I have seen Thumper kill weakened ships multiple times early in the game.  Pirates has finished off my ships (flagship and AI alike) after they were severely injured.  I have used Thumper few times when I was frustrated with slow Arbalest and Mortar combo (especially before I get Gunnery Implants and Fleet Logistics 3), or when I needed to stretch my limited guns.  (I do not want to throw all of the kinetics on one or two ships and the rest have nothing.)

Early-game fights with pirates are unskilled or low-skilled, and the targets are flimsy.  Thumper is viable during this part of the game.

I do not disagree that Thumper is sub-par and it eventually becomes obsolete.  Mining Blaster is much the same way (since Hyperion is no longer an endgame asset).

Over all i think that Frag Damage for non-PD roles really suffers and should probably be taken out of the game
I make an exception with Locusts.  The damage is so overwhelming that it is often an unavoidable auto-kill against frigates, and even capitals lose a big enough chunk of hull if all of the missiles hit there.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 12:17:15 PM by Megas »

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The most imba weapon?
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2020, 01:19:03 PM »

I don't even know about the Thumper. Does it really shred hull compared to a Heavy Mortar?
It does when Thumper hits because shots are very fast (or very hard to see and try to dodge if the ship I am piloting is the target), while Mortar and Arbalest miss because they are slow and mildly inaccurate.  I have seen Thumper kill weakened ships multiple times early in the game.  Pirates has finished off my ships (flagship and AI alike) after they were severely injured.  I have used Thumper few times when I was frustrated with slow Arbalest and Mortar combo (especially before I get Gunnery Implants and Fleet Logistics 3), or when I needed to stretch my limited guns.  (I do not want to throw all of the kinetics on one or two ships and the rest have nothing.)

Early-game fights with pirates are unskilled or low-skilled, and the targets are flimsy.  Thumper is viable during this part of the game.

I do not disagree that Thumper is sub-par and it eventually becomes obsolete.  Mining Blaster is much the same way (since Hyperion is no longer an endgame asset).

Over all i think that Frag Damage for non-PD roles really suffers and should probably be taken out of the game
I make an exception with Locusts.  The damage is so overwhelming that it is often an unavoidable auto-kill against frigates, and even capitals lose a big enough chunk of hull if all of the missiles hit there.
Frags still have a place as finishers or dealing with ships of significantly smaller classes. Locusts are terrifying to face, especially when armor is already spent. Even if it runs out, the kill count is enough to turn the tables after the missiles are gone. Or just stick it to a Gryphon and turn it into a frigate/fighter sweeper.
Pages: 1 2 [3]