Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Enemy fleet using hullmods  (Read 636 times)

Hiroyan495

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Enemy fleet using hullmods
« on: July 12, 2020, 01:24:25 AM »

It's a simple question really. How are enemy hullmods determined? Do they try to push as many hullmods in as they have available (from a pool of "unlocked" hullmods for given faction)?
Or do they strictly follow pre-made loadouts with some minimal variation?
Do they have an algorithm to choose smart?

The reason why this became a question for me, is because I did some experimenting with hullmod costs, meaning that even at let's say zero cost, enemies would not simply have *every* hullmod on their ships, yet they seem to have a bias for using things such as hardened subsystems etc.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Enemy fleet using hullmods
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 01:38:12 AM »

Generator use ship variants from default_ship_roles.json file based on some settings in .faction files. They are not exact copies of variant files (some random changes always applies) but generally, if variant does not contain specific hullmod it is unlikely that ship generated using this variant would have it. And opposite - if variant contain that hullmod - high chances it will be on generated ships.

So, if you want factions to use your hullmod you need to create some .variant files with your hullmod for each ship you think it should be used. Then define ship roles in default_ship_roles.json for each .variant. Than you can adjust .faction files to use some variants more often than other.

Could be wrong.

Java isn't my native language. ©
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Hiroyan495

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 01:45:11 AM »

Hm, does that mean the program can still pick additional hullmods that it deems useful to those that are already defined in the various ".variant" files, to further improve the performance of said ship?

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 01:48:31 AM »

If it is set as "known" than yes, sure. Because the random there always free OP remains and game will try to spend them somewhere (including hullmods).
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.