Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Need Help Modding Game Windows  (Read 626 times)

Kypotan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Need Help Modding Game Windows
« on: July 01, 2020, 12:24:29 PM »

Hi,

i am looking for Documentation on how to change the "Intel" or "Command" Window.
I want to move the Information Collum next to the Intel list or add an access Collum to the Colony Table of the Command window.
Over all i am looking for anything that could help me rearrange the UI.

I googled and searched a lot, but it seems that i can only find documentation on how to mod the content of the game and not the whole UI.

Pls forgive me if i overlooked some obvious information.

PS: If some one of you Played WoW, i am looking for a method to change the UI like ElvUI did with Wow.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Modding Game Windows
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 12:45:13 PM »

I don't think you can do this as the UI is hardcoded for the most part. I know some things have been done along these lines such as creating new menus or text prompts, etc, from rules interactions and stuff like that, but I think that is about as far as you can go.

If anyone has more experience there please feel free to correct me.

Kypotan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 02:24:32 PM »

I cant believe that, from a developer perspective this would be really bad practice.
And the file structure suggest that everything in this game is created as a plugin, what is actually smart.
So the question is only how to hook in the mechanics of it.
Maybe there is a full documentation of the api i am missing.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 02:58:34 PM »

The core GUI is hardcoded, and for good reason. There are enough mod-caused bug reports attributed to vanilla as it is without some foolish modder breaking the main UI elements.

You can draw your own UI elements in combat, and maybe in campaign. There are also places like intel plugins where you can use for example TooltipMakerAPI to make vanilla-looking screens.