Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: "Terraforming" late-game tools  (Read 1457 times)

Spedwagon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
"Terraforming" late-game tools
« on: June 29, 2020, 06:00:37 PM »

Very late-game remnant tool allowing you to for example change the orbit of a planet.

When a planet is very hot because of its proximity to a sun, after long hours of playing Starsector there should be this insanely expensive method to increase the distence between a planet and its star. This would also work the other way, when you want to tighten the distance to warm up the planet.

The "terraforming" or however we name it tool, could also enable player to create an atmosphere on barren planets etc.

The more unhabitable the planet the bigger the costs.

Before you are able to shape a sector to your will you would need to fulfill some tremendous conditions. It is just an idea, how do you perceive this?

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: "Terraforming" late-game tools
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 07:39:32 AM »

Dude... oh dude...

Although what you saying is not entirely wrong, but you should study SS lore before. Whole Persian sector before the collapse was huge colonization project with cryosleepers and active terraforming. Terraforming efforts was made by Eridani-Utopia corporation. And they have easier way to change surface temperature - solar mirrors. You can see some of them in the core system. So, there is no need to invent a wheel of orbit changing device, when there are easier tech. Besides, why would remnants have that device, if they want to "kill all humans"?

Why it is not implemented in game? Basically sector is dying. People struggle to survive, not expand. No reason of long-term terraforming investments if you are not sure will you survive few next days. So, I would say, it unlikely to be in vanilla. Ever.

If you do not care of the lore - TASC mod is for you! ;D

Come to a dark side! ©
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Squigzilla

• Commander
  • SQUIG Industries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 08:05:57 AM »

In the recent "Painting the Stars" blog post, David talks about creating the art assets for an item called a fusion lamp. While not strictly terraforming, it acts as a miniature sun for a planet of your choice, presumably providing light and warmth to planets without sufficient sunlight. So it looks like there are plans to implement items that can compensate for negative planet traits. They may be rare finds like pristine nanoforges in 0.9.1 and thus unable to be reliably produced by the player, no further details have been shared at this point.

In other words, I would not expect terraforming projects that one can use to landscape the sector at will, but there will probably be limited ways to produce the effects you are seeking.
High Admiral Davian MacNaile of the SQUIG Industries Human Resources Motivational Flotilla

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 12:13:48 PM »

Well, if you have the tech to change the orbit of planets... What could possibly go wrong? ...then you can crash a planet into another planet!  ;D

FYI this is an actual end-game feature in the Planetary Annihilation RTS game.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 12:50:39 PM »

In the recent "Painting the Stars" blog post, David talks about creating the art assets for an item called a fusion lamp. While not strictly terraforming, it acts as a miniature sun for a planet of your choice, presumably providing light and warmth to planets without sufficient sunlight. So it looks like there are plans to implement items that can compensate for negative planet traits. They may be rare finds like pristine nanoforges in 0.9.1 and thus unable to be reliably produced by the player, no further details have been shared at this point.

In other words, I would not expect terraforming projects that one can use to landscape the sector at will, but there will probably be limited ways to produce the effects you are seeking.

Right. Limited use "arcane tech" gizmos may be able to counteract certain planetary hazards but I wouldn't expect a Genesis Device (a la Star Trek). The mini-Sun object might just take away a "Cold" effect or, I'm hoping, add a "Habitable" positive trait.

I'd be curious what, if anything, adding these kind of objects to an otherwise perfect world (a la Gilead) would do... :D

Spedwagon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 04:43:07 PM »

Why it is not implemented in game? Basically sector is dying. People struggle to survive, not expand. No reason of long-term terraforming investments if you are not sure will you survive few next days. So, I would say, it unlikely to be in vanilla. Ever.

How do they struggle to survive when I have 30,000,000$ in my pocket, flexin' on those virgin losers - remnants, flying around building colonies?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 05:51:18 AM »

How do they struggle to survive when I have 30,000,000$ in my pocket, flexin' on those virgin losers - remnants, flying around building colonies?
They don't!  The zombie pirates will eat them up sooner or later if player does not intervene.  Current release plays like a bad zombie apocalypse where the zombies also happen to be pirates!  As for pirates (and Pathers), they (or the game) just make stuff up out of nothing.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:53:04 AM by Megas »