Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Markets Changes  (Read 1747 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Markets Changes
« on: June 23, 2020, 11:46:37 PM »

1: Please please let us build Hydroponics on worlds unsuitable for Farming/Aquaculture as many players are asking to!

2: (Rounded down for both) Heavy industry needs Planetsize/2 Organics and Light Industry needs Planetsize/2 Metals.

3: Every four industrial/productions units (not cargo units, that would be silly) of total black market change (purchased+sold) leads to -1 stability.

4: Option to permit/forbid planets from buying from their own black markets to meet demands if legal trade and production are not sufficient.

5: Not being Free Port reduce Pather success change by 10%.

6: Planets with disrupted Spaceports can't offer Procurement Misssions, sorry!

7: Systems with Asteroid belts increase Refining and Heavy Industry income by 10%. Systems with Nebulae increase Light Industry and Fuel Production income by 10%.

8: The other change many players are asking for: Tariff reduction (and increase) based on commission and reputation.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 11:51:01 PM by SonnaBanana »
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Markets Changes
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 12:17:41 AM »

I would rather not make habitable planets less unique, especially since you can always import what you need. Whether hydroponics plausibly could be built or be desired is irrelevant, gameplay comes first.
Free port already influences the success rate of pather sabotage, although indirectly. Stability level was meant to reduce the chance of success, but currently it works too well, to the point that pather sabotage will never succeed in colonies with stability level of 2 or more.

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 01:38:34 AM »

1: Please please let us build Hydroponics on worlds unsuitable for Farming/Aquaculture as many players are asking to!
7: Systems with Asteroid belts increase Refining and Heavy Industry income by 10%. Systems with Nebulae increase Light Industry and Fuel Production income by 10%.
8: The other change many players are asking for: Tariff reduction (and increase) based on commission and reputation.
Colonies are already way too good and don't need income buffs, even if tiny, and tariffs absolutely should not go down. Always people complain about the tariffs being so high. I don't understand it. Sindria is killing us with unfair trade deals. Billions and billions every year. (Legitimately -- trade needs to be unprofitable if it doesn't risk combat.)

2: (Rounded down for both) Heavy industry needs Planetsize/2 Organics and Light Industry needs Planetsize/2 Metals.
3: Every four industrial/productions units (not cargo units, that would be silly) of total black market change (purchased+sold) leads to -1 stability.
4: Option to permit/forbid planets from buying from their own black markets to meet demands if legal trade and production are not sufficient.
5: Not being Free Port reduce Pather success change by 10%.
How would this impact the gameplay experience, lead the player into combat, or result in more interesting player choices?

6: Planets with disrupted Spaceports can't offer Procurement Misssions, sorry!
Yes. The ol' "Donn raid and trade" is way too safe and profitable of a strategy right now.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 06:05:07 AM »

Tariffs are too high.  I rarely buy from there.  I buy from Black Market or my Colony Resources.

Currently, player can still maintain 10 stability even with Free Port.

While I generally raid planets for blueprints, I occasionally raid for vendor trash at times.

As for too high income, that is because we do not have enough "space lord" things that need money to do.  It would be nice if player transitions from a lowly murderhobo to a space king ruling a nation, or at least command an army (more than just your fleet) to wage war against the sector and/or zombies.  And if restoration ends up being the way to preserve permamod ships lost in battle (i.e., spending close to a million to restore that Paragon with two or three permamods instead of paying 500k or so for building a new one), then income will be even more important.

Stability level was meant to reduce the chance of success, but currently it works too well, to the point that pather sabotage will never succeed in colonies with stability level of 2 or more.
I wish that bug would stay.  Do not need another pirate zombie horde to deal with.  Two zombie hordes are worse than one.  (Babysitting core worlds and my colonies from pirates is bad enough.)  I would like a way to ultimately crush the zombie hordes permanently, just like player can stop the expeditions and inspections permanently by destroying all of the core worlds' military bases.

It devalues colony skills (because AI admins give +10 to Pather interest, and they cannot be removed after a while), but then again, there is not enough skill points to get all of the combat skills plus Navigation and other choice skills (like Officer Management).  Player spending nine to twelve points to get colony skills guts combat power too much.  Better to offload the skill tax to AI cores.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 11:44:48 AM »

Tariffs are too high.  I rarely buy from there.  I buy from Black Market or my Colony Resources.

Sounds like it's working as intended then doesn't it?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 12:00:41 PM »

I would say no, at least in the current releases.  Player never needs to shop at Open Market.

What is the point of the market if it is a total trap and the player is encouraged to avoid it at all costs?  Might as well not have it in the game.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 12:34:15 PM »

Even you said you still sometimes buy from there.

Think of it this way: Why does the buffalo mk2, cerberus and hound exist and the pirates don't have better ships? Because you need contrast.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 04:01:00 PM »

I agree Open Market is pretty pointless right now. I would say the main problem right now is that the Black Market has more quantity and more variety.

Military markets are also almost useless if you aren't commissioned. The size limit on what is sold doesn't makes sense. Want to buy a Buffalo? Commission only!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 05:34:58 PM »

I buy from Open Market occasionally, usually hullmods early in the game or cheap weapons I need now.  If I am desperate for supplies and fuel, and Black Market does not have enough, then yes, I pay them the blood money at Open Market.

Wait, there is another use for Open Market - selling pristine nanoforge at New Maxios (after I steal the corrupted nanoforge) so I can raid and steal it back, and repeat, for profit!  It is a royal pain to steal back the nanoforge, and after trying it once or twice, I decided it was more trouble than it was worth.

Overall, I rarely use Open Market.  It can be removed from the game, and little will change.

I avoid commissions because I do not want the "Commissions" tag permanently branding my Intel like a scarlet letter, which means no military markets for me.

Think of it this way: Why does the buffalo mk2, cerberus and hound exist and the pirates don't have better ships? Because you need contrast.
Pirate ships are NPCs and UI is irrelevant for them.  Open Market is a blatant (newbie) trap at every colony, and it is the default market to shop at.  (It is the main reason why I refuse to put Commerce on my colonies, because I do not want default markets changed to Open Market at my colonies.)

Military markets are also almost useless if you aren't commissioned. The size limit on what is sold doesn't makes sense. Want to buy a Buffalo? Commission only!
They also barely have more than Open Market in the more recent releases.  They used to have lots of good stuff, but not anymore.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 05:36:56 PM by Megas »

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 05:39:03 PM »

Using the black market is a "Bad Thing(TM)" if you want to be friendly with the owning faction.
And if you want to avoid that, you need to approach the planet with your transponder off and not get detected or you'll be denied docking.

Yes, the open market is objectively worse to use. That's okay, because it's also objectively easier to use.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2020, 05:53:14 PM »

Using the black market is a "Bad Thing(TM)" if you want to be friendly with the owning faction.
And if you want to avoid that, you need to approach the planet with your transponder off and not get detected or you'll be denied docking.
Player can still shop at Black Market while transponder is on, and several posters already do that.  Presumably because the penalties are a slap on the wrist.  (I am not one of them, but I usually use Black Markets of pirate bases, which I am already enemies with.)

Aside from fringe systems with random pirate bases, Magec is a great core system to trade at black markets... or rob New Maxios repeatedly for blueprints, because there are no patrols in that system (because indies and pirates have no patrols, and the TT world is a free port).

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 02:15:32 AM »

It's really unrealistic for any government to make trade completely unprofitable by taxes. This just ensures ALL trade to happen on the black market, drasticly reducing the total tax income.
If a modern country would take ~3% taxes on every transaction without refund rules, this would be more income than all other currently used tax sources summed up.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 11:12:21 AM »

If you are already friendly with a faction, then open trade on the black market will almost never result in any consequence, even if the suspicion level is very high. The patrols stop you and find nothing almost every time. If you are closer to hostile or neutral, the patrols more frequently find contraband, and it can be a small problem to lose a bit of rep, but I still usually just trade openly on the black market because sneaking in is not worth the effort unless the market has very light patrols.

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2020, 11:19:46 AM »

It's really unrealistic for any government to make trade completely unprofitable by taxes. This just ensures ALL trade to happen on the black market, drasticly reducing the total tax income.
If a modern country would take ~3% taxes on every transaction without refund rules, this would be more income than all other currently used tax sources summed up.
I always assumed the 30% tariff was inter-faction only. E.g. the Hegemony chooses to engage in protectionist trade policies that benefit their own businesses so that the cheap-labor combines on Kazeron can't undercut their markets. And the only way to fight tariffs is with tariffs of your own; matching tariffs is a pretty common strategy. And tariffs of 30% are not unheard-of, historically, in the real world.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2020, 11:49:24 AM »

I always assumed the 30% tariff was inter-faction only. E.g. the Hegemony chooses to engage in protectionist trade policies that benefit their own businesses so that the cheap-labor combines on Kazeron can't undercut their markets. And the only way to fight tariffs is with tariffs of your own; matching tariffs is a pretty common strategy. And tariffs of 30% are not unheard-of, historically, in the real world.

And independent traders like the player get all the tariffs.
Pages: [1] 2