Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Looking for mods that add fast/fun player ships that are viable in the endgame  (Read 3414 times)

Lucax

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to get back to playing this game, so I've been browsing mods. I prefer to play with a fast flagship that can dodge fire, but frigates become mostly useless in the endgame, even when I do manage to dodge/outrun everything. The only exceptions I can think of in vanilla :

- Hyperion : I don't think I need to explain how impractical this thing is, ever since CR exists.

- Phase ships : fun to play and pretty useful, still peak performance time is rather limited for a player ship. Also, I'm not fond of how vanilla has all of them shaped like bricks.

I'm looking for modded ships that expand on these two playstyles, but I'm having a hard time finding anything like that, so any help is appreciated. Previously, I would make a quick and dirty mod for myself that makes a frigate much faster and with larger mounts and ordnance so I can customize it more, with a higher cost and maintenance. Easy to do quickly, however it takes a long time to balance it right.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile

A lot of faction/ship packs mods add pure "playerbait" ships for that exact purpose. Off the top of my head:
Blackrock has the Imaginos and the Morpheus
Imperium has the Royco
Diable Avionics has the Versant and possibly the Pocket Gust
Scy has the Stymphalian Bird
And there are a plethora of them in Tahlan Shipwork or Seeker Ship Pack.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Royco is an IBB bounty, so it requires SWP to be installed as well. Other IBB ships are no slouches, either, especially the Philipshead.

Lucax

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Thank you for providing the specific ship names ! I installed the mods you suggested. Some of these sure are fun to play. The Royco is over the top though, really unusual, I might try learning to use it later.

If I can find it ingame, I'll stick with the Darnus from the Tahlan mod. It has the kind of mobility I'm looking for, its teleport seems more flexible than the Hyperion's, and the maintenance cost is within reason.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile

IBB Zeus from SWP might be not fast, but definitely fun for endgame soloing.

Unfortunately, the only way to obtain it - destroy it, and some D-mods makes it useless.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile

Did a run like that recently using the "Brave Blade" from Dassault Mikoyan Engineering for fast, arcady action. It is very strong though being able to outrun even phase frigates with its ship system and Coordinated Maneuvers 1 and with a shield/weapons strong enough to assassinate frigates in the middle of enemy fleets with combat focused skills. The only downsides are that the ship is 90% built-ins and its 2 smalls go so well with high damage kinetics that the linear autoguns I used with them may as well be built in as well and it has problems punching through capital grade health and armor due to its rapid fire guns that can eat up valuable PPT and CR.

Oh, there is also an issue where if you try to redeploy your Brave Blade after your module gets destroyed then the BB is inexplicably destroyed as well, but that issue is relatively minor and only really happened to me if a fighter died on top of my ship due to the strong shields and flux stats. Still, the frigate is fast enough that I mostly used it to chase down and kill flankers and assassinate non-capital carriers in the enemy fleet pretty easily.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile

You are seriously underestimating player-piloted Afflictor. It can kill fleets on it's own, and nothing prevents you from swapping to next one after it runs out of PPT. In terms of own DP to kill-able DP ratio Afflictor is single most powerful ship by a wide margin (in vanilla and most(?) mods).

Hyperion is nowhere near as efficient as Afflictor and somewhat tedious to pilot, but it still surpasses a lot of recommendations here.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile

SWP Excelsior might be worth looking at.

Lucax

• Ensign
    • View Profile

You are seriously underestimating player-piloted Afflictor.

I know about the Afflictor, yes it's obviously overpowered as a player ship, I've used it plenty already. By the way, I'm not a fan of spamming a single ship in my fleet in the endgame, it's rather exploity and I prefer to have a full fleet rather than "extra lives". And I'm sorry, but it's just too ugly, I can't get over it.

The Hyperion is fun to pilot and is powerful in an unusual way, but has far too many drawbacks to my taste. It's tricky to use. It costs almost as much as a cruiser to recover from a single battle, combined with the shortest peak performance across all ships, deploy it twice and it's done. It has little room for mistakes, I think it's even less armored than a Wolf. With all that said, it's probably still my favorite ship to pilot in vanilla, it just needs a few small buffs in the logistics department, in my opinion.

@SapphireSage Assassinating carriers definitely sounds good, seems I'll have to install Dassault Mikoyan too. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it out.

Rei Akiba

• Ensign
    • View Profile

You want a fast, high firepower, and high shielded battleship???... Well yes I am here to help... There's a capital ship design called "Rosenriter" Is a fast battleship with all forward guns, 2 large hard points, 6 mediums,(all of them is energy and composite) , with the teleport ability that can teleport 5 times, very good flux capacity and dissipation, wit a passive that reload all missiles ammo including limited ammo, with a base speed of 81-90, and 120 or more if zero flux, very high maneuverability that it can match a the most maneuverable and smallest frigate in the game... This ship is literally have everything, mobility, firepower, defense. You can get all the ship blueprints (battleships, cruiser, and carriers) and it even have their own type of weapon and their missile weapon is OP, and it's really viable for you own personal fleet doctrine since other faction don't use them

And there's a ship called Nirvana class battleship from lostech engineering, a very rare ship that I found yesterday from derelicts, it has a high armor, high flux capacity and dissipation, high speed, lots of weapon firepower, resistance to EMP, really fast weapons repair, 50% faster flux venting, but the downside having a very teribble shield, but it doesn't matter, it has an active skill that fast your ship timeflow, increase all weapons fire rate that can shoot like a madman, and then teleport back safely to where the place of the ship before, (it's like a rewind time) and if you take a lot of damage, all of the damage you take and flux you used will be revert back to normal... Yeah literally this ship is OP, hell it can even kill 2 AI remnants big battleships at the same time if you use it correctly and his another passive that trigger if you take damage high enough your ship will be invincible for a second, and the armor that damaged is repaired, yeah really OP
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 06:47:05 AM by Rei Akiba »

Rei Akiba

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Forgot to tell these ships are from mods obviously, I think it's from vayra sector, tahlan ship works, I don't even remember, I installed that mod many months ago
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 06:45:39 AM by Rei Akiba »