Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Tactical laser vs PD laser  (Read 5602 times)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Tactical laser vs PD laser
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2020, 12:18:13 PM »

I think front shields on broadside ships is actively bad: it prevents you from shield flickering because your shields no longer open from the direction that the enemy will be shooting you from. It also makes defending missile strikes a lot harder, particularly salamanders, but also reapers from that random kite.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2020, 02:39:36 PM »

I think front shields on broadside ships is actively bad: it prevents you from shield flickering because your shields no longer open from the direction that the enemy will be shooting you from. It also makes defending missile strikes a lot harder, particularly salamanders, but also reapers from that random kite.

The correct opinion. I used to put Front Shields on the Odyssey because of the 360 degrees and halving the flux cost but it just doesn't open fast enough to cover the side. Instead, I use Stabilized Shields if I must or Extended Shields if I want a little extra coverage.

Normally, I hate Omni-shields but with broadside ships, they work really well. The Conquest really needs shield help, though.

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2020, 04:57:15 PM »

Other than Odyssey and Conquest, are there other broadside ships?

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2020, 07:05:18 PM »

Not really. There are a few cruises that are asymmetrical but they arent really designed broadisde in mind.  In terms of “things that work” however there are two cruiser and above ships where a broadside works. The main reason these have to be cruiser and above is that below that the non-forward maneuverability penalty is not enough to warrant it.

The onslaught is pretty good at it. One of the big disadvantages of the onslaught is how hard it is to maneuver and piloting it as a broadside makes this a lot easier. It still has one large, one to three medium, and three small turrets on each side and this is still a lot of firepower given how easy it is for the onslaught to out shoot its dissipation.

The aurora has two overlapping medium turrets on the side and this can be very efficient for killing smaller ships with minimal risk due to the broadside maneuverability advantages. A bit hard to work with in general but maybe better than the “standard” aurora construction

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2020, 05:48:25 AM »

The onslaught is pretty good at it. One of the big disadvantages of the onslaught is how hard it is to maneuver and piloting it as a broadside makes this a lot easier. It still has one large, one to three medium, and three small turrets on each side and this is still a lot of firepower given how easy it is for the onslaught to out shoot its dissipation.
At least when used by player.  AI is too stupid to do anything other than point directly ahead and fire TPCs at enemy, killing broadside loadouts for the AI.
Pages: 1 2 [3]