Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cursed builds  (Read 3106 times)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Cursed builds
« on: June 22, 2020, 04:15:27 AM »

I've been a bit bored so I tried to come up with some truly ''wrong'' builds that can still work. Obviously these can't compete with the optimal ones, so don't start with ''well if you replace x with y the build can be a lot better''. The whole point is having fun and giving the meta a middle finger.

WARNING: The following images may be shocking for some, open at your own risk!
Spoiler

The Battlecarrier Astral - Note how even with only Talons, Astral lacks OP to do anything decent
[close]
Spoiler

The Aurora Wannabe Eagle - A cheaper alternative of the mighty destroyer crusher
[close]
Spoiler

The Lawnmower Conquest - Say goodbye to those pesky fighters and missile clouds
[close]
Spoiler

The REAL Burst Paragon - When you just can't seem to find those Plasma Cannons
[close]

Feel free to post your own abominations
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 04:17:27 AM by Grievous69 »
Please don't take me too seriously.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Cursed builds
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 06:05:40 AM »

The vents vs. capacitors thing you got going on is what's infuriating me the most. Like, the HB Eagle: you have SO but you didn't max Vents? Same thing with the Paragon. You've got 36 Vents (not maxed) but do have a Flux Distributor? Nails on a chalkboard.

The Astral made me chuckle, not because of the Talons but because of the side-mounted Cyclones. Watching the Astral try to use those would be...comical ;)

The Conquest doesn't bother me that much. It's very sub-optimal but it would perform anti-fighter very well!

I don't have a screenshot but just think about it:

Doom...with all beams. :D

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 06:07:19 AM »

Dat progression.

The first is how many of us wish carriers could work!

The second is in my opinion a not truly awful build. Just wish HB weren't as flux hot as a large energy, without any of the bonuses of being a better gun.

That third is pushing it as I've never been a fan of those big flak guns, even if on paper they should be really good.

The forth is awful. You got me.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 06:25:49 AM »

The vents vs. capacitors thing you got going on is what's infuriating me the most. Like, the HB Eagle: you have SO but you didn't max Vents? Same thing with the Paragon. You've got 36 Vents (not maxed) but do have a Flux Distributor? Nails on a chalkboard.
Eagle is a good kiter, with SO it's even harder to catch. So I'd rather have enough caps to be able to actually kill something and then back out without being overloaded.

Yeah with Paragon I was left with some extra OP so I thought why not get 20 more vents with the hullmod. In order to max out vents AND have flux distributor I'd have to leave something out. And honestly you're gonna be always active venting with this so RFC makes a far bigger difference than 10 extra vents or so. Again, these are my cursed builds, nails on a chalkboard was the thing I was trying to achieve so mission accomplished I guess hahaha.

Doom with all beams doesn't even sound that horrible. I use Phase lances and Burst PD anyway so you're just losing missiles, but mines make up for them quite nicely.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 06:31:54 AM »

Doom with all beams doesn't even sound that horrible. I use Phase lances and Burst PD anyway so you're just losing missiles, but mines make up for them quite nicely.

I'm talking Gravitons and Tacs... }:^D>

DubTre6

• Commander
  • Tri-Tachyon Agricultural Rep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 09:36:19 AM »

I'm talking Gravitons and Tacs... }:^D>

A Doom with *wait for it* Salamanders and Pulse Lasers >:D
8) why fight the paragon when you can BE the paragon 8)

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 10:14:26 AM »

The Eagle seems to have forgotten its Heavy Machine Guns. That's not a cursed build, it's just a suboptimal SO Eagle. 3 HMG 2 Heavy Blaster 1 Ion Pulser works very well.

The Conquest build would work even better if you changed the Heavy Burst Lasers for Heavy Blasters. HBLs are bad and you already have more than enough PD.

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 10:17:52 AM »

Try a Safety Overwrites Heron with mining drones and pure antimatter blaster equipment.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 10:40:56 AM »

Ouch yeah I can really see the Astral hurting for OP here. Judging by this you could go pure Mining Pod and would still have to remove one of the 25 cost hullmods to fill out all its weapons with anything above tier one- let alone anything decent. I kind of want to try that out now in the simulator. *Goes to do that*

Is the Resistant Flux Conduits just for the extra dissipation? Seems to me the 360 shield means you could potentially skip that one - though AI shield flickering will still let shots through from time to time since the shield takes a bit to fully raise.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 10:48:07 AM »

It is kinda crazy that if the astral uses super cheap fighters and very basic hull mods, it can still only use half its weapon mounts with pretty basic weapons.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 10:48:43 AM »

Is the Resistant Flux Conduits just for the extra dissipation? Seems to me the 360 shield means you could potentially skip that one - though AI shield flickering will still let shots through from time to time since the shield takes a bit to fully raise.
I like RFCs on player ships in general since it helps so much with venting. EMP resistance is just cherry on top. Besides, 15 OP for a capital hullmod is pretty cheap.

@ANGRYABOUTELVES
In the second sentence I wrote:
Obviously these can't compete with the optimal ones, so don't start with ''well if you replace x with y the build can be a lot better''

EDIT:
@intrinsic_parity
Megas and me have been claiming that ever since the fighter rework, yet no one understood it since ''haha overpowered system''. But it has OP closer to a heavy cruiser rather than a capital considering all the weapon mounts it has. Nerf the system and give it actual options by buffing OPs
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 10:51:40 AM by Grievous69 »

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 10:55:42 AM »

AO aurora. Sometimes it's even can kill something. But usually enemies dies from laugh.
[close]

I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 11:09:56 AM »

That made me sad because I've seen some people unironically use beam Auroras and swear that they actually perform well.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 11:17:02 AM »

It is perform well. That is almost immortal ship (because of shield, mobility and weapon range), especially with cautious captain. It can distract half of enemy fleet, while you kill another half. And survive this. I really mean it.

Problem is: who needs that 30DP distraction?

EDIT: typo.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 11:20:07 AM by Mondaymonkey »
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 11:29:31 AM »

I like RFCs on player ships in general since it helps so much with venting. EMP resistance is just cherry on top. Besides, 15 OP for a capital hullmod is pretty cheap.

That makes sense.

EDIT:
@intrinsic_parity
Megas and me have been claiming that ever since the fighter rework, yet no one understood it since ''haha overpowered system''. But it has OP closer to a heavy cruiser rather than a capital considering all the weapon mounts it has. Nerf the system and give it actual options by buffing OPs

Not sure how good this is, really, but I can consistently kill sim dominators without taking any hull damage and get the stock conquest down to half hull with:

Spoiler

[close]

It actually fights toe to toe with the conquest... until it runs out of sabots... XD

I tried a similar build with mining pods and higher max flux but the talon is waaay better.
Pages: [1] 2