Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Questions: Kinetic Damage, Shield Practice, Campaign Fleet battles  (Read 22334 times)

Temstar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Questions: Kinetic Damage, Shield Practice, Campaign Fleet battles
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 02:04:20 PM »

Maneuver is irrelevant to this discussion though. You can't assume you can get away with impunity to vent, you have to assume the ship winning the flux race will actively maneuver to prevent you from venting while taking no damage. Yes a human is better than an AI to judge how and when to maneuver, both offensively and defensively but that has nothing to do with the ships themselves. Even the AI understands that it needs to chase you if you back away and it will fire all his strike weapons at you if he catches you venting.

Dreyven

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 02:59:30 PM »

Maneuver is irrelevant to this discussion though. You can't assume you can get away with impunity to vent, you have to assume the ship winning the flux race will actively maneuver to prevent you from venting while taking no damage. Yes a human is better than an AI to judge how and when to maneuver, both offensively and defensively but that has nothing to do with the ships themselves. Even the AI understands that it needs to chase you if you back away and it will fire all his strike weapons at you if he catches you venting.

Actually it's not irrelevant if you put 2 ships against 1... there is no way that you can maneuver in a way that both can't vent safely
it's kinda like putting a lasher against a tempest...
if you just compare the ships, the lasher will rip the puny tempest apart, the lasher will actually rip everything! apart except for (maybe) the expensive hyperion, but! in a real scenario, a tempest or a hyperion got pretty good, if not better chances than the lasher

Temstar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 03:30:55 PM »

Actually it's not irrelevant if you put 2 ships against 1... there is no way that you can maneuver in a way that both can't vent safely
If you have 2 ships vs 1 you're already winning, but that has nothing to do with shield usage and is not what's being discusses here.

See, i agree speed is a part of a ship's defence, but how is that relevant to a discussion on shields? We're not comparaing slow vs fast ships, we'rd comparaing shield up vs down. If two Paragons meet, one with shield up and one with it down who will win. That's what we're discussing.

Dreyven

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 03:55:32 PM »

the only reason why i mentioned 2 ship combat is because it was used as a reference before, 1 paragon vs 2 eagle's

See, i agree speed is a part of a ship's defence, but how is that relevant to a discussion on shields? We're not comparaing slow vs fast ships, we'rd comparaing shield up vs down. If two Paragons meet, one with shield up and one with it down who will win. That's what we're discussing.

Because a big part of shields is the safe venting of Flux which completly restores your shield, you can't replenish armor though... if possible you will always try to vent safely out of range of your opponent, which means that the faster ship got the advantage because it can vent without getting shot, a slow ship can't do that and has to take the shots...

But if we put 2 ships against each other, both the same, the ship which uses the shields will (most likely) win...

let's take the paragon
which weapon can easily fire a ship in front?
2 tachyon lances
2 Heavy needlers
2 heavy blaster
2 burst PD lasers
maayybe 2 autopulse lasers, dunno

the heavy needlers and the blasters cancel each other out, so i think we end up at about 1.3 flux/damage on the weapons
a paragon shield can take 37500 damage before overloading because of the "permaflux" so we can assume that you would vent at 30k
1.3x 30k = 40k, roughly...
so you produce 40k flux while trying to shoot the shields of the paragon down
while this is happening, the shielded paragon can freely shoot your armor, at the beginning it will be able to shoot you with all the weapons mentioned above, later (once the permaflux reaches higher levels) you will still be shot by the tach lances and the needlers, eventually just the needler....
this will greatly reduce your armor...
the shielded ship however, will just vent once it reaches critical levels... there is not a lot that you can do except for, keep shooting...
you will scratch it's armor, maybe damage it quite a bit but after that the paragon will turn it's shields back on and can absorb another 30k damage on the shields

the shielded paragon will win and there's (not a lot) you can do about it

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »

Heh! Yeah I just put 2 Paragons against each other - the first time I just played as I normally would and won handily- and indeed you need to hold fire with the heavy blasters until they drop shield.

Then I tried it without shields... and didn't do more than ~10% hull damage to him before I got creamed.

In an earlier post I said I agreed about the Paragon being a better brawler with shields down: I take that back completely. Your weapons are disabled very quickly and the Paragon has a DEEP flux pool to take damage- I only managed to force my enemy to vent once(!) before I was killed. An unshielded Paragon loses FAST against another paragon. Is it useful to take some hits on the armor? Absolutely! If you are at max flux should you let your weapons fire intermittently? NO! Vent and take a hit and then tank another 40k damage!

Update: just did it again and did less than 1% damage before dying.

I still contend that maneuver is more important than a straight up duel because duels happen almost never in the actual game, but even then the shield is decisive. The mod is attached below if people want to test themselves. (The mission description is kinda messy because I copied it from another test)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:25:31 PM by Thaago »

Temstar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 04:36:40 PM »

You have to be careful when testing because fighting with no shield requires a unique fighting style. The trick is to position your ship so that damage is evenly spread out on the front and the two flanks. Taking everything on the nose will get you shield holed and then sunk very quickly.

Paragon is actually one of the most difficult ship to fight against with shield down because the lances do EMP damage which kill your weapons without needing to punch through your armour first.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 06:52:36 PM »

No, lets do real ships. Say a couple assault Eagles. Six grav beams at 50 dps each or so on armour. Six assault chainguns at 399 dps each on armour. Total MAX dps is 2700, but their shield upkeep is 40%, so they're doing roughly 1620 dps...before armour. If I have the formula correct, those chainguns will actually be doing 15 dps to start with. (And don't forget that when my armour is breached the damage will suddenly go down, too, as the +50 per grav is countered by the -133 on the chainguns, and then they have to work through the entire hull.)

Meanwhile, the Paragon has a choice between doing 40-50% of its damage, or 150%. Can three Paragons kill an Eagle before the two Eagles do significant damage to one Paragon's armour? Yeah. Yeah they can.

Just for fun, I tested this.  AI controlled Paragon vs 2x assault eagle, and then modded the Paragon to have no shields and tried again.  The results were clear: a Paragon with shields took a trivial amount of armor damage (you could only barely see that it had taken any damage).  The paragon without shields got a hole punched in its armor and took minor hull damage (a couple thousand points worth).

A paragon (with shields) under player control took no damage.

Draw your own conclusion.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

sluggabois

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 05:13:55 AM »

I'm pretty sure the whole point of the game is to prevent hits to the armour or hull.
This is because armour is permanently gone when hit, as is hull integrity. Once the hull is dead, you die and lose unfortunately. Damage to shields on the other hand is only temporary.

To prevent damage to armour the player has a few options.
First is put the shields up, block the damage that is coming at you. Next is dodging, or making them miss. Last is preventing them from firing, through overloading or venting or disabling turrets.
It's this last point that seems to be the point everyone is trying to debate.
In order to overload or make the enemy drop their shields, you yourself can't overload, so dropping your shields when you're almost overloaded and taking a few hits on the armour is ok, as long as they overload and you win. If they drop their shields, then both are losing armour hard, and whoever has the most armour wins. Add to the fact energy weapons get supercharged at high flux, then dropping your shields might be a good idea so you continue to do high dps without risk of overload.

tl;dr, dropping shields is risky, but it allows you to continue attacking your enemy and cause them more damage, while leaving you quite vulnerable. Either you need try to overload them or vent them or just have much more armour than them :P

VedicIntent

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 06:06:37 AM »

I think the argument that "maneuvering is king" hits the nail on the head. The original scenarios are all based on ships that sit and slug it out with main firing arcs putting out full DPS. It ignores the maneuverability of shield-reliant ships, which definitely weights the math in favor of tanks that can sit there and takof tons of damage to their armor (low tech mainly, and most cap ships).

Also, selective firing is HUGE here. Antimatter blasters, for instance, are best as spikers to overload shields and generally aren't well suited to autofire since their effectiveness depends on the timing of that burst damage. On a strike-fitted Medusa, for example (2x/4x AMB and 2x grav beams), it's best to lay in with efficient gravs to raise their flux and "pop" them with an AM shot so they overload. If they don't raise shields...well, a couple AM shots will disable a weapon or two and make a nice juicy opening in their armor to drill with your beams.

tl;dr
Combat never involves static ships alpha-striking each other to death, and that's distorting how you view the role of shield management tactics.

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 07:29:28 AM »

I still contend that maneuver is more important than a straight up duel because duels happen almost never in the actual game, but even then the shield is decisive. The mod is attached below if people want to test themselves. (The mission description is kinda messy because I copied it from another test)
Sweet, thanks. I'll go try it out now.

For the record, I wasn't able to test it very well, but depleting an Aurora's shield without shielding myself seemed to work fine. Yes, it was harder than other scenarios, but hardly impossible.

VedicIntent

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 11:43:40 AM »

Sweet, thanks. I'll go try it out now.

For the record, I wasn't able to test it very well, but depleting an Aurora's shield without shielding myself seemed to work fine. Yes, it was harder than other scenarios, but hardly impossible.

The biggest thing I can't get past in seeing this as a viable strategy is the lasting power of ships that use armor tanking exclusively. In an extended fight with large fleets, your ships have to engage multiple times against fresh reinforcements. I just don't see many ships surviving more than a couple waves intact.

You might win a fight by going balls out DPS, but every point of damage you take is permanent. You're not going to be in great shape after the first engagement, and that really hurts you in the long run. Has the no shield strategy won in a battle with half a dozen cruisers and multiple cap ships?

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 11:57:15 AM »

The first problem with Paragon v Paragon is that the Tachyon Lance is a strike weapon, like bombs and missiles. Exactly the kind of thing I say is obligatory to take on the shield. And with the shields down you can't shoot your own lances at the Paragon without getting disabled. Still, this is mainly the Tachyon's EMP damage. Most weapons won't get you so reliably. Nor in one shot.

There's a reason I didn't talk Onslaught v. Paragon, and typing that just now caused me to try to verify it. Turns out I'm wrong. I want to see Onslaught vs. Paragon. Oddly the outdated Onslaught should be the best, due to the Hellbores. Unless the Mjolnir's and Hypervelocity's EMP also instantly wrecks the lances. The standard should also be good because it can apply constant pressure with the Annihilator rockets, requiring constant shielding.

I also mention 'almost dead' as a condition for raising shields. It's hard to test if this is good vs. the AI when you can win so easily with the shields up.

The mod does demonstrate the ridiculous power of venting. Which is as it should be. However if I could outfit my Paragon with Harpoons instead of Sabots, I could win instantly at that moment. In general, it looks like doing anything that makes it need to vent first - and avoiding venting at all for me - means I win. Venting without getting out of range first means a loss to any competent opponent. Is this the way it is supposed to go?

Turns out sabots are enough anyway. Ctrl-f 'double check' for when I finally get a proper test going.

First way I won this by exploiting shield weaknesses, made the AI let me out of the Tachyon kill zone. Turned my own shields off as soon as it wouldn't result in my own lances going down, and kept them down. When it vented, fired all my sabots. Knocked out his lances with mine. Then simply kept everything on autofire and the shield down until it died. ~1000 hull left, 5%.
Second way, turned sideways so its lances wouldn't knock out mine, dropped shield to vent hard flux, but didn't actually blow vents. I took the sabots on the shield because you get lanced anyway if you drop it. By doing this, made it vent before me without losing sabots, whereupon I instantly killed it with my sabots and lance. Almost no damage.
Third, let one of my SRMs get disabled, so killed it on second vent. Didn't vent, just dropped shields when necessary and when out of lance zone, 7%.
Fourth, didn't take sabots on the shield but avoided losing my lances by turning sideways. Ended up venting tons of flux while waiting for them to hit, and not building hard flux from the blasters. Win at around 50% hull. So I did 9000 damage more than it does. (It's not really that close. Yes, non-close fights shields are better due to no hull damage.)
Just found out if you can drop the shield for the sabots without getting lanced, you can win at 100% hull. (It bugged out a bit. Stood just out of blaster range, where it will hit but the AI won't fire, so I fired them manually. Turned as it finally approached.)
You can also just make them overload, which means instant loss, but as mentioned before that's exploiting a weakness of the AI.

There we go. I took 48 hull damage. That's points, not percent. Lower the shield to let sabots past, don't let the simultaneous lance hit your lances. Get off one tachyon burst on hull before it vents, by exploiting the AI trying to avoid overload. Make sure you have about half flux capacity spare. (Easy as you're not taking hard flux from the blasters while dodging sabots. If you then launch all the sabots into the hole provided by the tachyon bursts, the opponent Paragon will just barely die before it can raise shields again.

Venting == death.
Which means any time you lose a close fight with shields up, you can win it by using shields less. Aside from blocking strike weapons, or if you can get out of range to vent, the shield makes you less able to survive.

To double check, I (fifth) strategized around taking the sabots on the shield. My point is that you need shields to block strike weapons like missiles and tachyons, and everything else is net worse. 39%, 7020 hull. Summary: use shields less to make them vent first, and then slaughter them while they vent.

Procedure
Fly forward as fast as possible. Raise shields and coast until I the distance indicator reads 300. (For my standard cursor position, it's just outside needler range.) Stop. Fire full auto. (Not lances on shields, though.)
Stop firing when sabots come to avoid overloading. Soon, the other one will turn, letting me drop shields and vent hard flux until it matches what they've got. I turn myself a bit to make sure that if they get off a blaster volley, it doesn't nuke my lances. Use spare flux for blaster volleys as available.  The idea is to reach shield saturation at the same time, while having taken similar amounts of armour hits, ideally both hitting full flux with negligible damage on either.

The difference is what happens now. They vent, I keep shooting.

Once they start venting, drop shields and blow everything on them. Make sure to lance their lances; when their shields go up, I stop lancing and so to make a fair test, so should they. Now, it's straight blasters and needlers versus blasters. Armour versus shields.
Watch their lances. When they come back up, I raise my shields and halt auto on group 4 to avoid overload. But by this time they've taken so much damage that they have to vent again before I do, and then they die.

The only unfairness is they don't get to shoot sabots at me when my shield is down. However, as the previous test showed, letting them hit my armour lets me kill it with no damage: it's actually to my benefit. My sabots have to take down his armour. On full armour they do a whopping 93 damage, so it's lucky I have 12 and the blasters are wearing away armour. Tachyons do about 800 damage to full armour, apparently. After that shot the sabots will do about 200 each, as compared to 750 on naked hull. If neither of us had Tachyons, I'm pretty sure I'd win with no shield.

Testing that Tachyon, I (sixth) used my sabots on the shield to get it to overload so I could shoot my Tachyon at armour. I let his sabots hit my armour and then kept my shield off whenever the lances weren't pointed at me. I raised my shield when the 'almost dead' condition was met, and he had to vent a second time before I did because I'd done so much damage, so I won.

Again, in any close fight - generally when you're taking hull damage anyway - keeping the shields down as long as possible makes it easier to win.

And now for everyone else...

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 12:10:45 PM »

[EDIT] Sorry if this came across as hostile, it was not my intent. I think I must just be in a bad mood or something O_O

Ah, then my apologies for snapping back at you. It was not deserved.

Ugg. This kind of thinking depresses me in how much it ignores. The majority of combat in this game is not about running ships into each other and just letting the numbers play out. You specifically ignore the fact that ships can move and maneuver, which is the single biggest factor in their combat ability! You say I took damage S? Wrong! I took damage 10*S, 50*S, because I can maneuver and coordinate with other ships to provide relief.

You're ignoring more than I am. If your ships can manoeuvre, then so can theirs. If you're taking 50*S, so are they. They're just also taking A+H. If they're not taking 50*S, you're outclassing them in manoeuvre.

They will probably take multiple time S on their shield as well!
So, yes.

Even in capital ships you can disengage a tough opponent, vent your shield flux
Which is why I suggested having a missile frigate follow them - so they can't effectively disengage. If they stop to vent, their PD goes down and then missiles take out their armour. If they don't vent then I'm locking down a capital with a frigate or destroyer.

Are there some ships that are more deadly shields down? Yes! This doesn't mean that this is the case for all playstyles or for all ships!
Just all ships slower than what they're fighting.

its a lifesaver for blocking damage from harassers and from strike ships though! The raw numbers, while important and easy to tweak, are much less important than the circumstance.
Yes. Because of the way armour works, it is essential to take missiles and bombs on the shield. Which is why I say the Apogee has to keep its shield raised at all times.

you just have to toggle autofire on weapon group 4 if you are near the maximum flux, then you can let it cool down to the "hardflux" and start firing again until there comes a point where you need to vent. (you will soak up 37500 damage per venting cycle).
That's exactly what I do.

That's not how it works... if i can follow your math, your shield upkeep of 40% lowers your weapon damage by 40%?
Shield upkeep is a constant flux/second value of how much flux your shields generate when active (of the base vent rate)
On the eagle that's 210 flux/second, on the Assault variant you mentioned above that's 27% of the actual vent rate...
Yeah I made a mistake there, then forgot to go back and fix it when I noticed. I thought the codex listed total flux dissipation, not base dissipation. In later calculations I used the listed flux vent numbers plus base rate.

I'm assuming most combat occurs at near max flux, mainly because it does. (Come to think, I'm not doing so quite consistently, though the error is not major.) At max flux, your damage output is constrained by your flux dissipation. Raising shields is essentially a hit to flux dissipation.

Excellent point. If the AI was smart, the Eagles would win because the one taking fire would run away, vent, and play a tag-team with the second. The Paragon cannot run away from the Eagles.

\if possible you will always try to vent safely out of range of your opponent, which means that the faster ship got the advantage because it can vent without getting shot, a slow ship can't do that and has to take the shots...
Taking the shots on the armour is actually better than the shield, except for missiles and other strike weapons. It is also the correct decision to vent if you have a perfect PD escort.

They do exactly the same amount of damage up until the flux limit is reached; in fact, the paragon fighting without it's shields up will likely do far LESS damage because it's going to be having it's weapon systems disabled as it takes damage on the hull.
Yes, you do the same until you hit max flux. However, most combat occurs at max where damage is constrained by dissipation, so simplifying to it ALL occurring at max flux should be safe. I should get with 5-10% of real conditions.
Yes, my Paragons lose weapons. I find armoured emplacements really handy, but even without it I hit max flux almost instantly, so it doesn't matter.

If you are carefully monitoring your flux level, dropping shields to dissipate and or vent when you have a moment,
When the AI doesn't do something stupid, there is never a moment. It is smart about saving missiles.

and avoiding overload, the shielded paragon will always do 100% damage whereas the unshielded one's damage will depend on weather or not it's weapons are even online from all the fire it's taking on the hull.
No. After the initial charge of flux is spent, all damage depends on flux dissipated, and the shields reduce dissipation by 60%. Since the Paragon never loses so many weapons it starts to net vent flux while firing full auto, the only constraint is dissipation, and even under the most optimistic assumptions the unshielded Paragon has 60% more dissipation, and thus can fire 60% more often.

Maybe hes mistaken the bonus to beam weaponry for being near the flux limit and thinks that its applied when the shields are down instead?
I specifically mention that one of the benefits of having the shields down is being able to ride max flux without worrying about overload, so you can have 150% damage constantly.

Just for fun, I tested this.  AI controlled Paragon vs 2x assault eagle, and then modded the Paragon to have no shields and tried again.  The results were clear: a Paragon with shields took a trivial amount of armor damage (you could only barely see that it had taken any damage).  The paragon without shields got a hole punched in its armor and took minor hull damage (a couple thousand points worth).

The first problem is 'no shields' is not the same as what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting you block missiles and bombs with the shield and take everything else on the armour.

The second problem is that 'trivial amount of damage.' I had hoped two Eagles would be able to threaten a Paragon, because they total slightly more fleet points. If I was wrong, then the calculation for something that CAN threaten the Paragon will be even more pessimistic. Obviously if they can't punch the shields, using shields is better.

Try giving one (maybe both?) Eagle Harpoons instead of Sabots and see what happens. Since the no-shield Paragon can't block the missiles either, they should both die. Give them autocannons instead of assault and I all but guarantee they'll win.

The biggest thing I can't get past in seeing this as a viable strategy is the lasting power of ships that use armor tanking exclusively. In an extended fight with large fleets, your ships have to engage multiple times against fresh reinforcements. I just don't see many ships surviving more than a couple waves intact.
I suppose that makes for a compelling choice, now that you mention it.
You can choose to do better burst damage and sacrifice hull and armour, or go for the long haul by putting the shields up but killing things slowly.

If you can take multiple waves, each individual wave isn't a close fight. Yes, if you can get of weapons range to vent, shields are great. The pauses between waves counts.

Watch out, though, if your shield sacrifices too much, the next wave should arrive before you kill the last one, making shields an unambiguous loss, again.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 12:47:43 PM »

No. After the initial charge of flux is spent, all damage depends on flux dissipated, and the shields reduce dissipation by 60%. Since the Paragon never loses so many weapons it starts to net vent flux while firing full auto, the only constraint is dissipation, and even under the most optimistic assumptions the unshielded Paragon has 60% more dissipation, and thus can fire 60% more often.

This is known in physics, engineering, and math as the steady state solution to a problem. While a useful approximation in many cases, it is dead wrong in others. Like this one. The Paragon has a DEEP flux pool of 25k - with a shield efficiency of .6 that means it can take 41k damage before venting or more than double its hull. You claim that most combat is done near the flux limit - I claim this is false in a major way.
This is a major assumption that you make - it underpins your entire logic behind it being worse for shields to be up. For anything you say to be convincing you need to prove that this is the case - you have not done so and many hours of game playing experience convinces me that it is not the case.

... nonsense about venting = death ...
I vent all the time in range of opponents - do I take damage? Yes! Do I die? No! The same is true for AI ships that vent near me. This is a ridiculous conclusion. As a side note, you would not win instantly with harpoons when they vent, at least in this scenario (it is often true with frigates): 12 harpoons would only do 9000 damage even ignoring the impressive armor - probably more like 5k of actual damage including that. Hurts? Heck yeah! But then it has another 41k of shield to go.

You managed to beat the enemy Paragon in several attempts using a very specialized strategy - and take more damage in every single attempt than I did on my first attempt using a naive shield strategy. This does not mean that the specialized strategy is better - it means it is viable, but much harder and much worse! There are some lessons to be learned from it - lowering shields for sabots is a general and good strategy that most people already do. Sometimes it is better to take some hits on the armor in a close fight - but this is not a universal conclusion by any means!

It comes down to this: you can play this game any way you want to, and can win with multiple strategies. Its a great game that way!

But most of your arguments are textbook examples of false reasoning, false assumptions which you do not justify, and cherry picking data to fit your position. The very fact that multiple people have taken the time to refute you and have not been swayed should be an indication of this. Your walls of text are not convincing anyone and I honestly don't feel like refuting every single one of your arguments in turn, so I'm done with this.

Dreyven

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 01:17:18 PM »

Even in capital ships you can disengage a tough opponent, vent your shield flux
Which is why I suggested having a missile frigate follow them - so they can't effectively disengage. If they stop to vent, their PD goes down and then missiles take out their armour. If they don't vent then I'm locking down a capital with a frigate or destroyer.

A missile frigate will hardly have enough missiles to punish you i guess, but i know what you mean.
However, if you have a missile frigate, he will probably have some sort of assistance too, in whatever form...
And that's the point where you probably don't want something to chase him, it will be not as effective and most likely dangerous

Are there some ships that are more deadly shields down? Yes! This doesn't mean that this is the case for all playstyles or for all ships!
Just all ships slower than what they're fighting.

I have to disagree again.... if you are particularly slow you should rely on your shield even more... faster ships often don't have the flux/shield capabilities to fight you head on, this is why they will start using hit&run tactics if they are smart... you can't gain enough damage from not using shields to prevent that, this means that you have to use your shields as much as possible and vent when you forced them away to vent, you will have to sit there and wait until you get help or you can catch a good opportunity

you just have to toggle autofire on weapon group 4 if you are near the maximum flux, then you can let it cool down to the "hardflux" and start firing again until there comes a point where you need to vent. (you will soak up 37500 damage per venting cycle).
That's exactly what I do.

If that's what you do it's definitivly not considered as "not using shield often", it's actually more like "getting as much out of your shield as possible"

I'm assuming most combat occurs at near max flux, mainly because it does. (Come to think, I'm not doing so quite consistently, though the error is not major.) At max flux, your damage output is constrained by your flux dissipation. Raising shields is essentially a hit to flux dissipation.

Maybe that's just because of the way i play but for me, combat mostly evolves around smart flux management, never geting to the point where it harms your weapons or your shields, i will vent or use autofire/shield management to keep my flux levels from getting over mid-level

\if possible you will always try to vent safely out of range of your opponent, which means that the faster ship got the advantage because it can vent without getting shot, a slow ship can't do that and has to take the shots...
Taking the shots on the armour is actually better than the shield, except for missiles and other strike weapons. It is also the correct decision to vent if you have a perfect PD escort.

I don't think that it is, most weapons have a flux/damage ratio of more than 1 and most shields have a flux/damage ratio below 1, this results in weapons being inefficient to shields

If you are carefully monitoring your flux level, dropping shields to dissipate and or vent when you have a moment,
When the AI doesn't do something stupid, there is never a moment. It is smart about saving missiles.

Yet you can still bait missiles, from players and the AI, try venting at 1/3 of your max flux for example, it will suprise your enemy and on most ships the time it takes is too short to land a good volley of missiles, it's actually all about outplaying the opponent

and avoiding overload, the shielded paragon will always do 100% damage whereas the unshielded one's damage will depend on weather or not it's weapons are even online from all the fire it's taking on the hull.

It's actually not quite 60%, although i will give you this point because the standart variant of the paragon only uses 13 vents, so it's between 50% and 60%, although i would never fly the paragon as a standart variant in the campaign :P

However, if you really are assuming that the battle will happen at the point where this matters (the point where you can only fire as much weapons as you dissipate flux), then i will happily start to vent, because the amount of damage you can do to me is not your full potential, it's only as much as your vent rate let's you fire...
Which means that you can only shoot me with 2 heavy blasters, or your 2 tachyons+both needlers+2 autopulse lasers... or just some small stuff

effectivly, you will (at maximum!!!) be able to deal 1380 damage per second (if your weapons had a flux/damage ratio of 1, which they clearly have not)
you can now do your fancy armor mathematics yourself (because i'm not a mathemagician :) )
but i would assume that i can safely vent, even if you use your sabot's and then go nuts again, while you are still at max flux...
this would mean that it would be smarter for you to vent yourself, which reset's our fight...

In the rest, i can just agree with thagoo
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5