Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How does Electronic Warfare work?!! // Or Coordinated Maneuvers for that matter  (Read 2086 times)

ZaBici

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I remember in my first playthrough I just went lvl 3 in this because I was sure every point furthers the effect. Lvl 1 accounts for ships in your fleet to nerf enemy range but lvl 2 and 3 do it as a static bonus.
However now I'm not sure anymore, there's no "fleet" indication on lvl 2 and 3 however there is no way I can imagine these skills working only for one ship, the one I captain more precisely. Because, how would that even work? Every ship I target just takes a hit into their ecm?
Or just every ship in my fleet get the bonus.

Thanks!

L.E. Added coordinated maneuvers because it's the same thing.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 07:04:49 PM by ZaBici »

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

Electronic Warfare and Coordinated Manuever lvl 1 makes every ship contributes to a fleet bonus for your entire ships. This fleet bonus is capped to 10%.

The level 2 and level 3 extends this cap by +5% each. So you'll still need lots of ships.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile

If you have the EW or CM skills, every deployed ship counts towards your ECM/Nav bonus scores for your whole fleet. However, there's a cap for both at 10% - 10% reduced enemy weapon range with EW, 10% bonus top speed for allies with CM. The higher skill levels of both increase that cap, but don't provide any increased bonus from your ships. If you're playing a small fleet, only a handful of ships, that high skill level in EW or CM is likely being wasted.

Don't forget there is a readout in the status data on the left of the screen that displays your fleetwide EW/CM bonus. Double check that in combat and see what it says compared to the number of ships deployed and the cap. Remember that bigger hulls contribute more to the total bonus.

The ECM Package and Nav Relay hullmods exist so you can make a ship contribute without the skill, or contribute more than it normally would. Capturing objectives (Sensor Jammers for EW, Nav Buoys for CM) also increases your score without needing the skill, though I can't remember if it lets you stack above the cap.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile

The ECM Package and Nav Relay hullmods exist so you can make a ship contribute without the skill, or contribute more than it normally would. Capturing objectives (Sensor Jammers for EW, Nav Buoys for CM) also increases your score without needing the skill, though I can't remember if it lets you stack above the cap.

It doesn't. Without the skill the cap is set to 10% for the fleet and can only be gotten via ECM/Nav Relay hullmods or the capture points on the field. With the skill, the cap stays at 10% but each ship in your fleet will contribute naturally based on size. After the first level, each level then contributes 5% to the max cap and Command & Control 3 adds 5% to the max cap of both.

Incidentally, due to the way they work, ECM skill is worth more at level 1 than Nav skill 1. But Nav skill 2/3 are still usable for extra levels whereas ECM 2/3 are difficult to maximize the bonus of and so are worth much less.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile

It doesn't. Without the skill the cap is set to 10% for the fleet and can only be gotten via ECM/Nav Relay hullmods or the capture points on the field. With the skill, the cap stays at 10% but each ship in your fleet will contribute naturally based on size. After the first level, each level then contributes 5% to the max cap and Command & Control 3 adds 5% to the max cap of both.

Incidentally, due to the way they work, ECM skill is worth more at level 1 than Nav skill 1. But Nav skill 2/3 are still usable for extra levels whereas ECM 2/3 are difficult to maximize the bonus of and so are worth much less.
Just ECM 1 is enough to deal with fleets that use ECM to reduce the fleet weapon range, while not giving a hoot to the enemy's range being reduced.

Coordinated Maneuvers are more useful when leading a combined arms fleet of diverse roles. With a capital providing major top speed bonuses, frigates and even destroyers would start getting the upper hand in speed.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. :)

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile

EW1 is supremely powerful. It may as well add 10-20OP to every single ship thanks giving everyone ECM boost. It helps negate enemy ECM, and then can buff your own fleet with spare ECM rating. Overall that can end up being a 20% swing in weapon range for 1 talent point. It's definitely S tier.

Coordinated maneuvers is pretty okay but not nearly as powerful. The bonus caps out more easily, and the speed boost only adds to the ship's unmodified max speed. It can be worth 5-10 top speed on a typical ship, which is still good value but not awe inspiring.