Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Reduce the number of recoverable XIV Legions  (Read 3376 times)

Elukka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Reduce the number of recoverable XIV Legions
« on: June 09, 2020, 10:17:24 PM »

XIV Legions feel too common to me. Practically in every playthrough I'll have found one or several by the midgame without particularly trying. Currently I'm houseruling myself into not recovering them because otherwise my fleet ends up looking the same in every game. It's a really fun ship, but I think finding one should be exciting rather than something to be expected each game.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 10:19:38 PM by Elukka »

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Reduce the number of recoverable XIV Legions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 11:27:40 PM »

It's worth noting that the reason for this is that at least a few derelict Legion (XIV) hulls are guaranteed to spawn around the Sector (I think near-ish the Core Worlds). There's no other way to acquire them since they don't spawn in any fleets or markets, neither can the player normally acquire a blueprint to create them through custom production. The pre-generated derelicts exist as a way for the player to get a hold of a ship that's actually a "limited resource".

Given that, how do you think the spawning of the ship should be done instead of the current format?

Elukka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 11:33:23 PM »

Maybe just have only one to two of them, or a bias towards putting them on the edge of the sector? I think it would be fitting for these to be unique or nearly so.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 12:26:16 AM »

They feel common because they're guaranteed to spawn in a single constellation and be recoverable. Find one, you'll quickly find the other two.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 09:11:50 AM »

Find one, you'll quickly find the other two.

...Or other five. Depends on a constellation size and some luck. Usually, each system in a "XIV Legions" constellation contain a derelict Legion, and constellations are sometimes contains up to 10 systems (or so), especially if you does not have any mods that have custom factions in a custom predetermined star systems, or disrupt a constellation generation process in other way.

Off course not all derelicts from that constellations are recoverable, but sometimes you able to build a decent fleet of "extremely rare" ships.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 09:48:15 AM »

The only thing special about Legion14 is it is the only playable ship that can use Hammer Barrage effectively (until next release resurrects classic Aurora as a midline ship).  Hammers are good for being cheap and available in Open Market.  Other than that, stock Legion is superior for brawling.  Take away the Hammers and Reapers, and Legion14 is nothing special.  Just make the Legion14 a ship Hegemony can build and the player can steal blueprint from.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 10:34:04 AM »

I think it's fine as is, and if anything I want more stuff like this!
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

MukenShuu

• Ensign
  • I have none.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 10:43:11 AM »

I agree Legion XIV is one of the ships that I often(always) recover due to their looks who could resist that anyway? But at mid to late game, it always ends up being too common and I always feel bad not recovering them... Since they look so sexy XD
I just want some coffee.......

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 11:00:09 AM »

The only thing good about Legion14 as it is, is the player can have a guaranteed free capital without fighting for it if he looks at the right place.  Player recovers his three or so Legion14s in a game, and that is it.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 11:04:34 AM »

Meta game wise, yeah it's your free capital ships just gotta find them.

Thematically I love finding stuff like this as it tells a story and could stand to be fleshed out a little more. These are wrecks that designate the sites of what could have been the biggest battles of the first AI war.

For a fallen galactic civilisation there should be WAY more junk all over the place as the sector always feels far too barren for my tastes. Planets without ruins should be more rare then those with.

MukenShuu

• Ensign
  • I have none.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2020, 11:19:41 AM »

Wow you just made me wanted to explore Star Systems again XD
I just want some coffee.......

Elukka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 11:50:55 AM »

I agree there should be stuff to find, but one of the most powerful and unique ships should be one of the rarest finds, and not amongst the most common. Finds find ought to be varied too so you don't end up with the same stuff in every game.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 12:06:04 PM »

I agree there should be stuff to find, but one of the most powerful and unique ships should be one of the rarest finds, and not amongst the most common. Finds find ought to be varied too so you don't end up with the same stuff in every game.

RNG 14th battlegroup loot does sound really cool! Especially if it's all unique ship subtypes like this legion is.

JaronK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 01:55:00 PM »

Interestingly, in my last game I never found a single XIV legion.  So it seems a bit all over the map.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2020, 02:01:24 PM »

I think the number is fine. It's just another rng thing where you have 5% thinking it's way too easy to find something and then another 5% of players thinking they're cursed because they just can't find it. Sometimes you just have 3 runs in a row when you find a pristine forge at like 10% of explored sector, it's easy (not meaning easy to happen tho) to get a skewed picture.

The only thing I keep seing a ton of every single time and in other people's playthroughs are corrupted nanoforges, they're everywhere. I know they're not worth much but still.
Please don't take me too seriously.
Pages: [1] 2