Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Colony Threat Logic  (Read 705 times)

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
Colony Threat Logic
« on: May 09, 2020, 08:26:37 AM »

Some ideas about the Logic of Colony Threats.
Currently it looks like every colony has a timer that regularly spawns a matching threat.

There should be a fear score that reduces the likelihood of a colony to be targeted if it was successfully defended multiple times, that works like recent unrest.
The score should be increased by stopping attacks and destroying their bases.

Pirates should prefer Colonies with high income and fear defences (+/- modifiers like pather interest), the level of the pirate base should modify the fear generated by static defences obviously.
A Pirate Base has to be profitable to grow, so only intercepted convoys and raided colonies increase its level, a pirate base should start targeting weak colonies and switch to more profitable targets if its level become high enough.

For governmental originations expedition the player reputation should be a -modifier the expected effect a +modifier(raiding a 10% m.share organics colony with a star fortress should be less interesting than a 60%m.share fuel colony with only a space station) freeport should be a massive +modifier (adds the hole income of all industries) while defences should be a -modifier.
For AI inspections every used core is a +modifier depending on core size.
Having a very high standing with a faction may help them putting a bling eye on your well defended mining-freeport that would be soooo tedious to remove.
If a Expedition fails to reach the target system without witness there should be no rep loss. (not my fault if pirate raids decivilize the military base, or pirates kill the tanker and the fleet ends in a black hole)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 08:57:11 AM by ubuntufreakdragon »

Uncle1sstvan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Threat Logic
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 08:29:16 PM »

I actually agree with all of this, I'm also confused as to why other factions get upset from them attacking and raiding our colonies. every few months its another one trying to ruin me and another dead fleet and -5 rep. it would be nice if there was a way to counteract this by gaining faction reputation with other factions through trade when your merchant fleets buy or sell large quantities of resources it would be nice if you gained a baseline amount of reputation and then have it modified by their situations like depleted resources gaining a higher amount of rep then abundant ones.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Threat Logic
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 04:20:28 AM »

This is why, sooner or later, that I destroy all of the core worlds, or withdraw my protection from the zombie pirate horde and let them decivilize core eventually, just to make them stop.  As for pirates, I read that befriending them stops the raids, but not pirate activity.  It seems the ideal endgame condition is all of core destroyed, while friendly with pirates (to stop raids).