Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 45

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.52a (Released) - Patch Notes  (Read 317764 times)

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.52a (Released) - Live Patch Notes
« Reply #615 on: May 03, 2012, 07:50:08 PM »

They are just there to keep us entertained and challenged, im sure. With the new tiny FP cap taking on that hegemony fleet is certainly challenging...

Also, i'd love if we could get a medium atropos torpedo launcher of some kind

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: May 03, 2012, 08:19:01 PM »

That's available in some weapon mods. But an actual one implemented in vanilla would be nice.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 03, 2012, 10:22:21 PM »

Spoiler
The implementation of accidents seems to be a little odd, now that I've gotten used to it. I can see what you're trying to do, but I don't think its quite accomplished what you intended.

As it stands at the minute, if you're successful, and have a load of cash, accidents simple aren't going to happen to you any more. You'll have a ton of carriers, troop transports and freighters tagging along after your fleet that you can just pick up whatever you please and not have to worry about it. Additionally if your fleet is past a certain size, you no longer even have to risk having to bring your logistics ships to the field of battle, you can simply elect not to deploy them.

Basically past a certain point, accidents cease to be an issue.

However accidents are a severe hindrance at early game, where you only have a ship or two and have to decide whether or not you want to pack in that nice expensive Large launcher you found to sell, or if you want the supplies, to repair the damage your fleet took acquiring your ill gotten gains. Take  too much, and you're going to have an accident, and possibly lose a ton of (at this stage in the game) expensive regular crew. Additionally if you do buy a logistic ship to carry about your gains in, and only have a couple of ships, you will be risking that logistic ship on the field of battle in every single battle you engage in. If it dies, say a bomber wing gets all up in its face, post battle, if you win, you then have to go and dump a load of credits via jettison, in addition to having the cost of losing the logistic ship as well. It puts you back about 20k credits, which is a fair bit of you only had a Destroyer and a Condor for example. Got help you if you were using fighters and there's not enough hangar space post-battle too.

You can obviously avoid this by hugging a station and selling your loot after every fight you're in, and not bothering with the logistics ships early game, but that feels awfully restrictive, especially if, in future, you're adding in the ability to travel to different star systems.

Maybe what you need to consider doing is the add an additional chance of accident from having over a certain number of "logistics" ships in your fleet, so as to apply an accident chance to higher level play too. Say for example that beyond a certain number your fleet is simply getting too crowded whilst in transit between planets and battles and the presumably drunk civilian pilots of your logistics ships run the risk of bumping into each other in a crowded fleet, causing an accident.

Just my thoughts! ;)
[close]

I think you're right in that things fall apart a little bit when the player gets their fleet going. But this is the case in more aspects of the game than just accidents - and since what you're seeing now are just snippets of campaign mechanics, without lots of other features that are going to be in place eventually, it's much too early to try to make it into a finely-tuned experience throughout. There'll be rough edges until the game is feature-complete and fine-tuned, and this is one of them at the moment.

Capital ships are rare Alex?  Try looking at your Hegemony Defense Fleet and your Tr-Tachyon Attack Fleets. ;D Every time one gets destroyed, one comes ten minutes later.
Yes, the Corvus system doesn't fit in with the ultimate vision for the sector, either. It's more of a "here's all the content, go for it".

What I'm saying is they *will* be rare. They *are* rare according to the lore.

I hope it's not a placebo but it looks like AI no longer spam shield against kinetic weapon spam.

Definitely not a placebo effect :)

WK

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 04, 2012, 01:54:04 AM »

Will the final game be focused on the fleet or will it be possible to start an empire of your own with facilities/stations?

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 04, 2012, 05:29:22 AM »

It's not anymore, it just delivers them in a rather slow manner.
This seems right to a degree... my tri-tach station has gotten 3 paragons delivered to it now, no fighter wings, no frigates, no destroyers. Ill keep waiting to see what comes of that, its pretty odd to get paragons and nothing else tho.

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 04, 2012, 06:24:28 AM »

It's not anymore, it just delivers them in a rather slow manner.
This seems right to a degree... my tri-tach station has gotten 3 paragons delivered to it now, no fighter wings, no frigates, no destroyers. Ill keep waiting to see what comes of that, its pretty odd to get paragons and nothing else tho.
I also noticed that. Once I got Wasp wing, but that's all. Now Tri-Tachyon station is full of everything but Tri-Tachyon ships. Except one Paragon ;>

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 04, 2012, 06:30:01 AM »

I've seen Wasp, dagger, aurora and a paragon being added to the Tri-Tachyon station.

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 04, 2012, 06:47:12 AM »

Still, I expect this to be one of the bandaid mechanics, so it's not really a big concern to me ;)

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 04, 2012, 12:48:30 PM »

Hm, the difference between a Falcon and a Sunder is kinda small considering one is a destroyer and the other a cruiser...

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 04, 2012, 01:53:21 PM »

Hm, the difference between a Falcon and a Sunder is kinda small considering one is a destroyer and the other a cruiser...

Well, the Falcon is a Light Cruiser, which puts it much closer to Destroyer than any of the other Cruisers. It's also tougher than the Sunder, IIRC.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: May 04, 2012, 10:02:15 PM »

My daggers are still going after enemy wasp wings despite the lack of a PD laser

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 05, 2012, 12:51:22 AM »

Well, the Falcon is a Light Cruiser, which puts it much closer to Destroyer than any of the other Cruisers. It's also tougher than the Sunder, IIRC.

Yeah but the Falcon is more expensive (both in credits and FP) and I'm not sure it even equals the firepower of a Sunder, the Sunder can get 360° PD coverage without gimping its offensive power which makes up for its weaker armor to some degree (also they are about equal in flux and OP and both use very extensive shields). Kinda defeats the point of a light cruiser when you can just buy a destroyer instead.

Anysy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 05, 2012, 01:06:14 AM »

The falcon may yet get some sort of 'ship specific bonus' as mentioned about the omen.. Or possibly just incredibly good 'all around' campaign stats - Good fuel efficiency, cargo/fp, etc. Or just a straight up buff in armaments and stuff. That might be nice. >_>

harperrb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 05, 2012, 04:39:22 AM »

something i noticed thats not a bug but a seroius exploit, at least in my opinion. Is that if you store all of you ships in the storage it gives you the message you get when you lose your ship & you get a new ship. some people might say its not that big of deal but you can make a lot of money form this also after a while it would reset me to 2000 cash & i would no longer lose money from doing it.

I found this out as well. Infinite money loop. I just sell all my ships, leave the station, ad infinitum.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 05, 2012, 05:01:42 AM »

Now where is the "Starfarer 0.53a (In Development) - Live Patch Notes" Topic?

;D
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 45