Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Autosave, Let me know where ships are deploying from  (Read 747 times)

ThePhoenix007

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Autosave, Let me know where ships are deploying from
« on: June 06, 2020, 01:38:04 AM »

So I just bought the game today, and I'm over it already....  I've been playing this game since 1030 PM and its now 4AM and due to a complete lack of autosave, and my misunderstanding of how the fleets get deployed(due to being new), and not knowing what the *** crash-mothball is,  I've lost 6 hours of gameplay.  If this game were on steam, I'd not recommend simply on the fact that the the complete lack of these basic things (how hard is it to explain that when you use crash-mothball on your fleet, there's a percentage chance it won't work), or markers to let me know the pirate fleet that caught up with me would be deploying behind me, so when I click "Full retreat" thinking they're gonna deploy in front of me like they have been for the last six hours, I know I'm not going to sit there and watch them slowly move across the battlefield while a fleet of pirates pick them off one by one... you know, because they're slow (Due to crash-mothball-seriously, who came up with that name), and because ordering a full retreat means you can't cancel that order... So I watched 6 hours worth of fleet buildup go down the drain because I can't tell them to fire (Because I guess fleet commanders can't go "Rescind that retreat order and fire"), and I as the commander of my fleet can't seem to *** figure out where the hell the bad guys are coming from.   All of that could be forgiven if you'd just *** included an auto save function...

Seriously, thank you dev, for wasting 6 hours of my life.  You've been working on this game since 2012 at least (Earliest forum post I saw) and you can't even put basic *** in that's in just about every game. 

I've got 6 months in on my own unity game and it has a *** autosave, you've been doing this for 8 years.  JFC.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Autosave, Let me know where ships are deploying from
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 01:52:45 AM »

I've told you guys Phoenix will resurrect once again.

In case this is actually someone completely new so I don't make a fool out of myself: Did you even complete the tutorial bro? It reminds you to quicksave non stop, it's one button... There exists a ton of games where you have to pause the game, select in main menu > save game > overwrite and then wait. How the hell would you play those then? Anyways these angry posts always crack me up when they blame the game and devs just because they have an attention span of a goldfish.

Would you mind linking that game here? I really want to check it out now.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 06:34:58 PM »

when you use crash-mothball on your fleet, there's a percentage chance it won't work
There is no such percentage. A ship is either set as mothballed (crash or otherwise) and behaves in the mothballed manner (no zero-flux boost; no random malfunctions; can't use weapons, shield or ship system), or it isn't and doesn't.

or markers to let me know the pirate fleet that caught up with me would be deploying behind me
If "enemy appears behind you during full retreat" was that surprising I'm not sure you understand the physical concept of running away from someone or something.

That said, if it's at all possible I'd really like to see the save process sped up significantly so we can finally have a built-in autosave feature (and it'd be nice in general for saving to not take multiple seconds).

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 12:04:45 AM »

The reason WHY the game doesn't have an autosave is that saving takes time; anywhere between 5 and 30 seconds. During which the game is stopped. Unlike many games out there, this one has no loading screens, so there isn't a place to "hide" the lag the game creates when saving.

That said, if it's at all possible I'd really like to see the save process sped up significantly so we can finally have a built-in autosave feature (and it'd be nice in general for saving to not take multiple seconds).
And if this isn't possible, then I would like to see something much like autosave's reminders and or a warning in game that the game doesn't have an autosave feature, even if the player skips the tutorial.

What I want to know is how you skipped the tutorial as a new player since it reminds you multiple times to save throughout the game. IIRC the game disallows playing without the tutorial the first time playing the campaign. So you either skipped the tutorial or you aren't a new player and are lying
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 04:10:42 PM »

Hi, welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your trouble, it is very annoying when progress gets lost.

That said, vitriolic temper tantrums with lots of implied profanity (which I'm willing to guess is only implied because of the filter) are nonproductive at best and will breed toxicity from responses: in the future, please consider cooling down a bit before posting.

I'm going to lock the thread now, as I suspect nothing non-toxic is going to occur here and others have already explained why auto-save is not in the game at present.