Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Community list of random tips and tricks!  (Read 58910 times)

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Community list of random tips and tricks!
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2012, 03:31:30 PM »

Planets will give you a speed boost in battle, but decrease your speed on the campaign map. (*** logic)
Planets will give you speed boost in battle...? I haven't seen any planets in battle, AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE?

Now, more seriously, do you mean nav bouy? It is supposed to speed boost, it's a navigation bouy.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2012, 03:41:36 PM »

Planets will give you a speed boost in battle, but decrease your speed on the campaign map. (*** logic)
Planets will give you speed boost in battle...? I haven't seen any planets in battle, AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE?

Now, more seriously, do you mean nav bouy? It is supposed to speed boost, it's a navigation bouy.

No, he meant planets. Planets give you an enormous speed boost, making the onslaught reach speeds of 200+ in battle.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2012, 04:06:12 PM »

There is one in the "Sinking the Bis'mar" mission if you want to try it out. At the top of the map.

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2012, 04:56:22 PM »

I take back my post.

I have no idea how I missed them. I played this mission a few times, but never noticed the planets! Maybe it's because they're so small, and you know, Onslaught is kinda absorbing ship to kill in a Hyperion ;)

Anyway, that's strange, this boost...

Heavy Weapons Pony

• Commander
  • Luna is best Admiral.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2012, 03:59:26 AM »

Always Always ALLWAYS go at least 20% over your cargo limit with supplies IF you are not carrying weapons.*

I normally go about 10 supply above the accident cap** myself.***

*Feel free to disregard this information.
**when it starts to show "Low" accident chance.
***when flying a frigate
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 04:56:16 AM by Heavy Weapons Pony »
I am Admiral Luna and this is my favorite game on the Internets.
"Captain! Pilum Missile's detected at 18 degrees starboard!"
"Thank you ensign, but I'm quite sure our Burst PD array can handle that"
(Chuckles around the bridge)
"It seems to be a volley of thirty-two, sir"
(Dead silence) ~ Zaga

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2012, 03:56:59 PM »

As a general rule:

If you are up against low-tech ships (Hegemony), invest in Capacitors for your ships over Vents.
If you are up against mid-tech ships (Indipendant), invest in both Capacitors and Vents.
If you are up against high-tech ships (Tri-Tachyon), invest more in Vents then Capacitors.

The reason for this is that low-tech ships specialize in ballistic weapons which do hard shield point damage which your shields can't 'heal' unless they are down, getting Vents is therefor useless and Capacitors allow you to deal with more damage, generally these ships are also slower so running to vent with shields down is a valid option.

High-tech ships specialize in energy weapons which more over deal beam damage to shields which 'heals' automatically depending on your rate of venting flux, not having a high flux capasity is rather irrelevent if you can just sit there with your shields up and passively vent all damage away, running from these ships is generally not possible anyway due to their higher speed.

Mid tech is a mix of both so you need to have enough of both to deal with them, their ships are also moderately fast so with some good maneuvers you could find time to vent with shields down.

Sanguinus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2012, 01:48:18 AM »

For easy(not really) additions to your fleet/loot, i usually camp the pirate, or Tri-Tachyon home planet. Whenever an enemy fleets tooltip says "Returning to Corvus Vii" i immediately jump on them. 9 out of 10, the fleet has no combat ready ships and is returning to repair itself. With no copmbat ready ship, you can immediately board or scrap any ships in the fleet. If the tooltip says "Resupplying" then they are capable of fighting back; even if the tooltip says "returning", the ships can still turn and chase you.

Just be careful if the fleet reaches the planet, because they will return later as a full fleet of plenty more ships then is comfortable.

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2012, 03:40:26 AM »

A use for the Hounds: Cargo Pods with heavy engines ^_~ 3 FP, 10 Crew, ~180 Fleet/Combat Speed (w/o Augmented Engines), 75 Cargo Space. Great for keeping your fleet speed up while expanding your cargo space a bit.

I recently switched to a fast attack fleet. It's currently a Hyperion, 4x Tempests, and 3 Hounds. (I got tired of floating around in my Paragon fleet going 100 speed on the map and 33 during active fighting.)

With my current fleet, I have a fleet speed of 150, low crewing requirements (95 skeleton crew), low FP usage (40), yet still plenty of space for supplies and cargo (300-something cargo space). With 100 crew and 150 marines, I use only 1.5 supplies a day. I can catch up to/outrun most fleets (the exception being mainly lone/small Tempest- and Hound-only fleets). I have enough cargo space for about 3-5 fleet fights before I need to unload. The fights are more exciting/dynamic. And when in doubt, I can EASILY run the hell away ^_~

I currently do have some problems against heavy Destroyers and bigger ships (taking on anything with more than a single cruiser or a couple of heavy Destroyers will hurt), but it's MUCH easier and faster when hunting small-medium Pirate fleets. This is a nice fleet for those time when you need/want speed on the map.

NOTE: I just got my copy of the Gunrunners mod mostly working, so if I start a new game, the Helioses from that mod will help rectify the larger ship problem I currently have. ^_^

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2012, 09:08:49 AM »

The simpliest way to fix that is to go in you game save file, and seek fleet point, I always put it at 1000 so I never get an issue having huge fleet.

In the save file, its normally after your credit amount, or around it.

You know, I don't know why that didn't occur to me to suggest this :) Sure beats editing fleet point costs all over the place.

Just search for
<maxFleetPoints>100.0</maxFleetPoints>
and replace 100 with whatever you like. Note: it gets reset if you lose your fleet and respawn.

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2012, 06:55:16 AM »

If your ships are being skittish, an intercept or engage command will make them attack like they mean it.

The order you put your weapons in the weapon groups matter for autofire. If you run out of flux, the weapon group numbers are also the priority for first come first serve.

Because of the way armour cells work, fighters don't have less armour even though they only have four armour cells in their sprite.

Hardened shields are especially good against beam weapons. It can potentially put you over the necessary dissipation to overwhelm being grav'ed or tac'ed.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:56:02 PM by Alrenous »

Madao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2012, 10:13:44 AM »

I dunno if this sound noob but I have found that 6+ wings of Talons makes the harass option an instant kill for most ships. The trick is the get most of the talons to hover around a carrier before they fight so they don't go of and individually suicide in vain. Then harass or engage and pow, ships die within 10 seconds. Onslaughts and other capitals excepted. And if they die you can always replace them at a pirate station. My 2 cents anyway.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2012, 03:33:54 PM »

I dunno if this sound noob but I have found that 6+ wings of Talons makes the harass option an instant kill for most ships. The trick is the get most of the talons to hover around a carrier before they fight so they don't go of and individually suicide in vain. Then harass or engage and pow, ships die within 10 seconds. Onslaughts and other capitals excepted. And if they die you can always replace them at a pirate station. My 2 cents anyway.
This is basically true for all fighter wings. Except for the replacing part.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2012, 03:29:30 PM »

You don't have to worry about losing your mission scores from missions given to you by mods, you can safely turn off those mods and Starfarer will still remember their associated scores the next time you re-activate them.

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2012, 03:32:12 PM »

Ion cannons kill crew really well, but don't really damage armor or hull.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »

There needs to be a global setting for max fleetpoint size XP
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7