Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Community list of random tips and tricks!  (Read 58609 times)

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
Re: Community list of random tips and tricks!
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2012, 01:47:06 AM »

Is that little trick activatable like for specific missions and the like?
Don't know. But you can change it before you start the program each time.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2012, 01:47:24 AM »

It removes fog for everything.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2012, 01:58:39 AM »

Hmm, that may complicate things. Was wanting some way to have my modded missions having no fog of war, since weapons may have quite a considerable range

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2012, 02:08:30 AM »

Another cheat found, you'll like this one.

Open the file ./data/world/factions/player.faction
Find: "fleetCompositions":{
Below this, find: the start 1 and start 2

Switch those numbers and you'll start out with a rather nice fleet.
Switch as in, delete the number 1 and replace it with a 2, do the reverse for the other.

You'll get a damn nice starter fleet.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this is too powerful I got another that I think will work, have not tried it myself.

In the same file, in the same section where we just were, you can see this: "ships":{
Below that is a small list of ship names. If you delete the names of the ships you don't want you'll probably end up with the ship you do want every time.
You can probably also add ship names to it.
As long as you don't forget to add the numbers that you see listed there. Those influence the chances of you getting the ships, I think. You should be able to start with any number of ships you like with any of the available weapon load outs that are in the game.

If you don't know what you're doing just backup the file in case you *** up. Should be safe to mess with.

PS: You can also use this for modding.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2012, 02:11:29 AM »

Hmm, that may complicate things. Was wanting some way to have my modded missions having no fog of war, since weapons may have quite a considerable range
It's possible to change the setting with mods, at least that's what the file itself says, I don't know how it's done.

Probably by adding such a file to your mod, that's what it looks like in other mods. Don't know anything else.

EDIT: Sadly I can't add the fog:false to a mission file, that just gets me an error.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 02:14:38 AM by Vandala »

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2012, 02:26:00 AM »

Ah well, was worth a shot I suppose.

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2012, 06:32:31 AM »

Exploit the fact that you can't autofire certain missiles to effectively create another weapon group, by, for example, putting Harpoons in the PD group.

Use the shield to stop after using the speed boost. Slowing down with the shield up instantly cuts your speed to the normal maximum.

If you click on a planet, you'll follow it, but still have time to run from fleets that pop out of it.
Fun with the pirate planet - it's easy to have a big enough fleet to scare everything away from landing on it, creating a cloud of oscillating fleets.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:44:23 AM by Alrenous »

Zani

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2012, 10:57:24 AM »

If you're struggling to start games as you constantly die, sell your ship and all its contents so you respawn with another. Keep repeating until you get enough credits. Easy way to get an early cruiser of  pretty much your choice if you have patience.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2012, 12:46:05 PM »

you will get a diminishing return doing this and eventually will lose more money "for respawning" than what you make for selling your ship.

the amount of money you lose when you die is a precentage of all the money you have when you respawn.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2012, 01:45:12 PM »

But at this point, you could probably outfit a hammerhead or a comparable destroyer. Personally I never liked frigates and for new saves, I always do this to set up a hammerhead and then go on my way from there. Then from this, I tack on a venture (great ship) and a few fighters.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »

If you didn't save twice, there's a backup file in the save's directory that contains the previous save. You'd have to replace campaign.xml with campaign.xml.bak which should still be your original save.

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2012, 02:41:35 AM »

Ctrl-click will buy or sell an entire stack, I found out after unloading the pirate base of 30k or so of supplies.

Graviton beams have a slight kick to them, not enough for anything frigate sized or larger to notice. Wrecks fighters.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:29:39 PM by Alrenous »

defry

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2012, 09:00:32 PM »

if you want to take out capital ships like a beast, use a dominator class ship with plenty of anti-shield weaponry and three typhoon reaper launchers. ram the enemy ships with your shields (recommend upgrading them with hull mods) and overload their shields. finally, launch some reaper class torpedoes while ramming them so their pd weapons cant shoot them down and say good bye. oh and try not to be blinded by the explosions!

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2012, 04:55:02 PM »

For any fast frigate with any small missile launcher a full-on charge can typically kill a cruiser if you fire torps at close range.
I got a venture down by doing this once.

SwipertheFox

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2012, 08:44:22 AM »

Another cheat found, you'll like this one.

Open the file ./data/world/factions/player.faction
Find: "fleetCompositions":{
Below this, find: the start 1 and start 2

Switch those numbers and you'll start out with a rather nice fleet.
Switch as in, delete the number 1 and replace it with a 2, do the reverse for the other.

You'll get a damn nice starter fleet.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this is too powerful I got another that I think will work, have not tried it myself.

In the same file, in the same section where we just were, you can see this: "ships":{
Below that is a small list of ship names. If you delete the names of the ships you don't want you'll probably end up with the ship you do want every time.
You can probably also add ship names to it.
As long as you don't forget to add the numbers that you see listed there. Those influence the chances of you getting the ships, I think. You should be able to start with any number of ships you like with any of the available weapon load outs that are in the game.

If you don't know what you're doing just backup the file in case you *** up. Should be safe to mess with.

PS: You can also use this for modding.

Thank u for this one.  I was able to create a bigger starting fleet and a more "moddest" recovery fleet after I get my "bleep" handed to me.   ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7