Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Community list of random tips and tricks!  (Read 58597 times)

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
Re: Community list of random tips and tricks!
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2012, 01:11:57 AM »

If you ever see the AI launch Harpoons (Missiles with a Blue exhaust.  You'll learn to recognize them FAST), immediately stop firing and prepare to shield.  They usually launch them when they think you'll be stupid and keep firing, which would keep your flux high enough for them to overload you can kill you with the Harpoons.  This is probably THE #1 way newbies die in the game.

This is still the number one way I die... :-[

it doesn't matter how much you know the harpoon those things are bloody dangerous to anyone. the last time i died my own harpoons doubled back, lost fuel and hit me instead XD then a reaper hit me while my shields were down. that was it. game over man
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

D0vahkiin

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2012, 01:18:52 AM »

If you ever see the AI launch Harpoons (Missiles with a Blue exhaust.  You'll learn to recognize them FAST), immediately stop firing and prepare to shield.  They usually launch them when they think you'll be stupid and keep firing, which would keep your flux high enough for them to overload you can kill you with the Harpoons.  This is probably THE #1 way newbies die in the game.

This is still the number one way I die... :-[

it doesn't matter how much you know the harpoon those things are bloody dangerous to anyone. the last time i died my own harpoons doubled back, lost fuel and hit me instead XD then a reaper hit me while my shields were down. that was it. game over man

Yup, the AI will wait. Usually in a frigate 1v1, I forget that the AI hasn't fired it's missiles. Just as the enemy is few hits away from death and you have to vent, they fire all of them. EVERY SINGLE ONE. 6 harpoons coming your way while venting, gg.

I have lost many battles where I had a massive upperhand, but forgot they havn't fired their missiles yet :(

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2012, 02:54:56 AM »

The tendency to fire ALL THE HARPOONS annoys me actually. When there's a lone Aurora cruising ahead of the system defence fleet, I don't want my Lashers to launch 40 Harpoons at it. (not an exaggeration. They just run out of ammo immediately.)

D0vahkiin

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2012, 03:06:35 AM »

The tendency to fire ALL THE HARPOONS annoys me actually. When there's a lone Aurora cruising ahead of the system defence fleet, I don't want my Lashers to launch 40 Harpoons at it. (not an exaggeration. They just run out of ammo immediately.)

Yup, it would be cool if the AI would evaluate how many Harpoons killing the craft would take, and then launch one or two more in case there's a miss/they get shot down. If 2 Lashers are attacking the target, only 1 should fire the Harpoons and that should be the one in the better position, ie. not facing the shields.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2012, 03:08:18 AM »

Or, you know. Communicate with its fellows on a proper plan of action.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

D0vahkiin

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2012, 03:12:33 AM »

Or, you know. Communicate with its fellows on a proper plan of action.

That's what I said.

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2012, 05:14:06 PM »

That's an AI issue in general.  They'll waste every single one of their missiles when they see an opening.

They do it with Torpedos as well.  I cringe every time I see an AI-controlled Destroyer fling 4 Reaper Torpedos out to kill a Buffalo.

Also...

PROTIP: Buffalo MKIIs die with one Reaper or 2 Atropos torpedo hits.

Doom101

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2012, 05:34:34 PM »

That's an AI issue in general.  They'll waste every single one of their missiles when they see an opening.

They do it with Torpedos as well.  I cringe every time I see an AI-controlled Destroyer fling 4 Reaper Torpedos out to kill a Buffalo.

Also...

PROTIP: Buffalo MKIIs die with one Reaper or 2 Atropos torpedo hits.

its funny because buffalo's are so easy to kill i made a ship variant for the tempest called the buffalo hunter, it has 2 heavy blasters and harpoons :D that thing wrecks.

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2012, 09:32:25 PM »

They're a royal pain if you don't take them out ASAP.  Those suckers can fire 3 pilums and 3 Salamanders at the same time.

But like I said, just put a Reaper Torpedo in one of your hardpoints, fly to point blank range, raise your shields, and fire.  Instant kill.  You'll take some minor shield damage from the Torpedo explosion and the Buffalo explosion, but the buffalo is toast.

Even a Lasher can end up taking out a pair of buffalos in just a few seconds.

Unfortunately, the AI is brain-damaged with Torpedos.  They'll fire the Reapers a mile away and either miss or get them shot down by PD.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2012, 03:23:26 AM »

Pressing the "Esc" key in the very first pop-up screen allows you to exit it without having to actually starting the game. FINALLY figured that one out.

The screen where you can choose resolution and what mods you want.

VikingHaag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2012, 10:25:35 AM »

Snip

Bomber wings can spam thei missiles, ok, but remember what happens to bombs after a while?
They will explode with anything they contact with, so my fleet won't use them, not after the friendly bombs damaged my broadside so badly i had to ram the enemy to finish him off. I lost 300 veteran crew in the blink of an eye, not funny.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2012, 11:46:51 PM »

always attack damaged fleets and lone ships, this allow to farm hulls and money very fast, in some cases large ships like paragons surrender with all weapons you you merely need 500 greens to start grinding sector.

Doom101

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2012, 01:01:39 AM »

if your really good at kiting get a tempest you will win practically every battle, or if your poor a shuttle will do as well

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2012, 01:35:10 AM »

A Cheat is found!

Open file ./data/config/settings.json
Search for: "fogOfWar":true,
Edit it to: "fogOfWar":false,

No more fog of war for you.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2012, 01:41:06 AM »

Is that little trick activatable like for specific missions and the like?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7