Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Community list of random tips and tricks!  (Read 58602 times)

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Community list of random tips and tricks!
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2012, 02:17:48 PM »

Right now the hard startup is my favorite part of the campaign. When you have a huge fleet and can slaughter any factions fleet, the game is quite repetitive. Another reason I can't wait SF to progress.

Shendao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2012, 02:04:10 AM »

Dont just follow enemy fleets.

Step 1. Fly in the opposite direction of the enemy fleet (you)--> <--(them)
Step 2. Almost at the last moment, start intercepting.

No more running away from you, even with a big & slow fleet. 

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2012, 03:49:27 AM »

If you're on a mac, rebind shift for speeding up time to caps lock (works in minecraft too for sneaking) for toggling rather than hold.
Buy thunders. As many as possible. They're absolutely brilliant with AI for harpoons (especially vet or elite, waiting to overload shields) and swarmers pack a decent punch with 12. Ion cannons rip up shields and flux. Enjoy...
Order your fleet in terms of skeleton crew to maximize the spread of elite and veteran crew (so fighters first, frigates etc.).
Onslaughts are best armed at the front two large hardpoints with Gauss Cannons for a quick overload of smaller ships and to take down retreating ships faster than you. They kinda tend to own when armed with a decent number of Hephaestus assault guns.
Make use of the conquest's four large turrets as Gauss Cannons and Hypervelocity Driers for long ranged support that creates a very nasty area for ships to go through.
It's sometimes better to angle a smaller frigate like a wolf so that Pilums miss than to take it on shields.

What I've realized so far
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

SwipertheFox

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2012, 10:20:39 AM »

Buy thunders. As many as possible. They're absolutely brilliant with AI for harpoons (especially vet or elite, waiting to overload shields) and swarmers pack a decent punch with 12. Ion cannons rip up shields and flux. Enjoy...

Ohhhh   ;D  THUNDERS are the BEST!!!
I usually have 4 to 8 squads of these.  Gives me that geeky Babalon 5 moment!!!   ;D

Tindahbawx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2012, 01:48:46 PM »

Anyone know how to turn accidents off, for now, while I get the hang of this?

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2012, 12:47:38 AM »

You can get to the codex in battle from the tactical map. The ship context menu has info (I). From there you can hit 'top' to navigate to wherever you want to go.

factotum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2012, 06:35:52 AM »

Anyone know how to turn accidents off, for now, while I get the hang of this?

You can't, unfortunately.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2012, 08:55:03 AM »

TIP: You can trip enemy ships into lowering their shields.

As long as you are not actively targeting them with your weapons they will not raise their shields, if you then quickly hit them on the side (shields are always raised from the middle) then you can just hit them.

This is most obvious when using a Tachyon Lance against capital sized ships.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »

you can exploit the storage facility to get infinite credits / supplies / crew. simply store your entire fleet and then leave. since you have no active ship the game treats you as being defeated and gives you a new starter ship. repeat the process and you can amass an army of starter ships in a few minutes.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2012, 11:55:07 AM »

this is amazing!

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2012, 06:03:38 PM »

While the game is paused, you can right-click to raise or lower your shields, and it will make the appropriate sound effect. Once unpaused, the shields will raise or lower.

I find this extremely useful in situations where I can't hear the shield sound effect because of explosions and such, and am not sure my shield has engaged or disengaged, for example, right after venting flux. Also, during tense moments where I've paused and need whether or not, or when to direct my omni shields towards close incoming attacks.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2012, 08:55:15 AM »

You can add ships to your simulator battles by editing the "sim_opponents.csv" file.

Found in ./data/campaign

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2012, 10:33:47 AM »

If you're on a mac, rebind shift for speeding up time to caps lock (works in minecraft too for sneaking) for toggling rather than hold.
I WANT TO DO THIS SO BADLY!!!  It's just that this big black box appears on my screen whenever I press caps lock.  IT gets in the way of my view, anyone know how to get rid of it?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2012, 02:58:11 PM »

Planets will give you a speed boost in battle, but decrease your speed on the campaign map. (*** logic)

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2012, 03:28:44 PM »

I WANT TO DO THIS SO BADLY!!!  It's just that this big black box appears on my screen whenever I press caps lock.  IT gets in the way of my view, anyone know how to get rid of it?

If you are talking about Windows, and using a laptop, it's probably your laptop-specific software telling you that you have caps lock enabled. See if you can disable this overlay, or uninstall the software entirely.

Still, it should dissappear after a few seconds after pressing the key.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7